TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Jun 24, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #2,626 of 3,867
I am not sure there is a version 4. I believe this was a misreading of the text by Zeos, which has taken hold.
If that is the case I stand corrected. I don't know that much about the Starlight as it beyond my price range.

Wouldn't be the first time Zeos got something wrong :smirk:

Then the difference is indeed most likely in the measurement gear and process used.

Jun 24, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #2,627 of 3,867
If that is the case I stand corrected. I don't know that much about the Starlight as it beyond my price range.

Wouldn't be the first time Zeos got something wrong :smirk:

Then the difference is indeed most likely in the measurement gear and process used.
Please do not misunderstand, it was not a dig at you.

You know what misinformation is like, it has legs and runs very fast before you know it has transformed to another creature! 😄

Jun 24, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #2,628 of 3,867

I had the chance to compare the i3 to the Sony IER-Z1R over the weekend. Quick thoughts on both, streaming Tidal via an iPhone XR into an iFi xDSD. Stock tips and cable on the Z1R, and Azla Sedna tips and FiiO LC-3.5D silver cable on the i3. Firstly, I was pretty surprised by how close they sounded, both in terms of their tonality and presentation. There's greater treble presence on the Z1R, although the difference is not tremendous to my ears. As to be expected, perhaps, there's just more of everything on the Z1R: soundstage, transparency, clarity, etc. Here's the thing though: swapping back and forth, what struck me most was how similarly enjoyable I found both units, and how well the i3 held up. It's hard to put a number to it, but switching back to the i3 each time, I didn't find myself feeling as though I was sacrificing all too much technically. All this to say, at ~$150, the i3 are a ridiculous value.

Honestly would still love to see a refresh of the TRI i3. Better build, fit, smoothened 3kHz and 8kHz peaks, and improved resolution alone would make them winners for me.

I've had mine for over half a year now, and their soundstage, dynamism, sub-bass response, and organic timbre continue to impress me.

Tip wise, the SpinFit CP145 are by far the best tips I've tried in terms of sheer clarity and staging. Others I've tried include the Azla Sedna Regular, Azla Sedna Light, Acoustune AET07, Acoustune AET08, and Symbio Peel.

@WendyLi

Jun 24, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #2,630 of 3,867
Honestly would still love to see a refresh of the TRI i3. Better build, fit, smoothened 3kHz and 8kHz peaks, and improved resolution alone would make them winners for me.

I've had mine for over half a year now, and their soundstage, dynamism, sub-bass response, and organic timbre continue to impress me.

Tip wise, the SpinFit CP145 are by far the best tips I've tried in terms of sheer clarity and staging. Others I've tried include the Azla Sedna Regular, Azla Sedna Light, Acoustune AET07, Acoustune AET08, and Symbio Peel.

@WendyLi
I3 pro is coming though.

1624561586904.png

Jun 24, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #2,631 of 3,867

@WendyLi
Agree with you. I am using SpinFit CP100+ and far superior to anything I have tried previously. I have not tried the 145's but SpinFit is quality.

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #2,633 of 3,867
Thanks for your thoughts. I completely agree with your point that many reviewers don't have enough physical time to try their best to find the best combinations of tip/source/cable/EQ for all those IEMs that they are auditioning. So I usually believe what the users who paid their own money for the IEMs say.
I consider myself a treble head and clarity and airiness as the most important parameter for evaluation. And I also don't mind at all EQing.
In that sense, Starlight could be my taste as well. For example, LZ A6. Many people said it is too bright and only the filter that tames the treble most was tolerable for them. But I am using it with the black filter without any problem. I was torn between Starlight and moondrop S8 but starlight could be more like a guilty pleasure set for me.
I will drop my impression here if I end up buying Starlight!
I assume that people like myself, who got used to the LZ A6's endless highs, won't have any problems with Starlight's intense treble. I currently use the light blue filter, the most trebly of all, but with a little piece of foam inside to give more mid-bass texture and slam.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #2,634 of 3,867
I assume that people like myself, who got used to the LZ A6's endless highs, won't have any problems with Starlight's intense treble. I currently use the light blue filter, the most trebly of all, but with a little piece of foam inside to give more mid-bass texture and slam.
You are definitely a treble-head lol.

graph (34).png

Jul 1, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #2,637 of 3,867
Was following this thread for a while & finally got the Starsea's in my hand! :smiley:
1625154485890.png

Tried all 3 tuning switches, Exquisite Pure tone is certainly my favorite one so far! However I am having this weird issue with the fit of the IEM, when trying to readjust the Starsea in my ear I am getting these weird popping noises. I am using BGVP A07 tips atm & I have also tired the stock foam tips provided in the box still getting this issue. The issue seems to be less with Final E tips but I don't like how the Starsea sounds with Final E tips. Anybody got any advise for me on how to solve this? TIA.

Jul 1, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #2,638 of 3,867
Was following this thread for a while & finally got the Starsea's in my hand! :smiley:

Tried all 3 tuning switches, Exquisite Pure tone is certainly my favorite one so far! However I am having this weird issue with the fit of the IEM, when trying to readjust the Starsea in my ear I am getting these weird popping noises. I am using BGVP A07 tips atm & I have also tired the stock foam tips provided in the box still getting this issue. The issue seems to be less with Final E tips but I don't like how the Starsea sounds with Final E tips. Anybody got any advise for me on how to solve this? TIA.
That popping noise could be driver flex. It happens due to air pressure in your ears when inserting the IEM. Usually that's not a problem and can occur in some IEMs. You could try a wider tip that has a short insertion if that's annoying you. Some types of foam tips also seems to reduce the issue.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #2,639 of 3,867
That popping noise could be driver flex. It happens due to air pressure in your ears when inserting the IEM. Usually that's not a problem and can occur in some IEMs. You could try a wider tip that has a short insertion if that's annoying you. Some types of foam tips also seems to reduce the issue.
Cheers for the explanation mate :)

Jul 1, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #2,640 of 3,867
However I am having this weird issue with the fit of the IEM, when trying to readjust the Starsea in my ear I am getting these weird popping noises. I am using BGVP A07 tips atm & I have also tired the stock foam tips provided in the box still getting this issue. The issue seems to be less with Final E tips but I don't like how the Starsea sounds with Final E tips. Anybody got any advise for me on how to solve this? TIA.

Does the problem occur on only one of the earbuds or on both?

In my first Starseas the right earpiece (and only the right one) had a similar behavior: an annoying popping / clicking noise every time I touched the face plate or even pulling the cable lightly.

I returned them and just today the new ones were delivered to me: absolutely no noise from both earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back