TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Jun 22, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #2,611 of 3,867
Would the starsea have any problems connected to an audio interface's headphone amp? (Mackie onyx artist)
I'm interested in getting them but I read that they can be quite source picky. Unfortunately I can't find any information on the output impedance of my unit to check either.

Jun 22, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #2,612 of 3,867
Hi friend,

That's alright. Would you contact that AE store? As you said, the fixed method of dropping superglue may be temporary. I suggest you keep some proof and send it to the AE store when you are looking for a solution. Or if you think it's ok, you can send me your order id, related order information, and some chat screenshot, etc. I will help you to find our agent-related staff and ask him/her to confirm with the AE store and address the problem.

Generally speaking, every store will have its customer service. It's more convenient and straightforward to chat with the store when you come across problems or questions. If you have related confusion or so, I am happy to help you if I know.

Actually, I am really sorry for the trouble caused to you! We will endeavor to improve our QC more and more.
I really appreciate you help.

Contacting the AE store could only lead to shipping them back upon proving my case (not really a desired scenario given the shipping costs and time involved).

A temporary fix, hopefully can be repeated and for me it reasonably optimizes efforts/rewards.

If the connector surround ever actually pulls out enough that you can use a needle to apply adhesive all the way around it before pushing it back into place, I would mix up a two-part epoxy resin to apply to it instead of cyanoacrylate, as cyanoacrylate is not ideal for high vibration environments. Try to find something that can bond to metal and plastic with as long a set time as you can get, since this typically results in a stronger bond. Cyanoacrylate is good for temporary fixes and proof of concept to see if you can get it to stop rattling through application of adhesive yourself, but it will most likely fail again in a few months. If you have a craft knife or dental picks, I would use those to remove the CA glue before applying the epoxy resin.
A good point about vibrations, I hope connectors are a part of shell, so it may not be severe.

I thought of epoxies first, but do not have low viscosity formulations to penetrate the small gaps between the connector and shells.
I did not dare to try to open the shells (some instructions from the company would be needed, but it did not go there, if it comes to it - I will try to ask Wendy); the shells are highly polished that makes it harder to do without some impact.
If connectors would be torn out - soldering would be needed and then shell opening, and definitely epoxy, right. I do hope it will not happen with 2 pins. I do not plan to change cables - I use one of TRI with the plug identical to the stock cable.

Instructive to add is that I used Japanese Krazy glue that I found to be working the best for small repairs upon other brands.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #2,613 of 3,867
Just received my Starshine. Never thought I would be able to experience a more musical pair of iems and yet exhibiting such detail especially in the treble. I have been listening to some classical music (Brahms Symphony No. 3) on these to compare them with the Starseas in terms of the soundstage. The soundstage on the Starshines are as wide and spacious as the Starlights, surpassing the Starseas. For sub-bass, I listened to Moon Light on Spring River by Zhao Cong on the recommendation of ChrisOc (in his review of the Starshines). You can clearly hear the sub-bass at 0.56 and 0.59 seconds. Just amazing! Amazing tuning! So far so delicious!!

Jun 23, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #2,614 of 3,867
Just received my Starshine. Never thought I would be able to experience a more musical pair of iems and yet exhibiting such detail especially in the treble. I have been listening to some classical music (Brahms Symphony No. 3) on these to compare them with the Starseas in terms of the soundstage. The soundstage on the Starshines are as wide and spacious as the Starlights, surpassing the Starseas. For sub-bass, I listened to Moon Light on Spring River by Zhao Cong on the recommendation of ChrisOc (in his review of the Starshines). You can clearly hear the sub-bass at 0.56 and 0.59 seconds. Just amazing! Amazing tuning! So far so delicious!!
The version by Su Chang is also great!

The one with Wendy Wen Zhou and Lucas Harris seems to have less dynamics to the sound, but a more active arrangement.

And here's a full orchestral arrangement with Wu Yuxia on the pipa

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #2,615 of 3,867
Would the starsea have any problems connected to an audio interface's headphone amp? (Mackie onyx artist)
I'm interested in getting them but I read that they can be quite source picky. Unfortunately I can't find any information on the output impedance of my unit to check either.
I only use mine with 4.4 balanced but I did try the included 3.5 cable to my android phone and it drove them fine. 3 clicks below max volume started being uncomfortable for me. Should be fine.

Jun 23, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #2,617 of 3,867
Did Tri change the way they tune Starlight? I see huge difference between the graph found in hifigo.com and crinacle's measurement. As well, earlier impression from users in this thread says it is bright but listenable but some recent impression from youtube (headphones.com Andrew) says it is too bright.
Anyone knows?

Jun 24, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #2,618 of 3,867
Did Tri change the way they tune Starlight? I see huge difference between the graph found in hifigo.com and crinacle's measurement. As well, earlier impression from users in this thread says it is bright but listenable but some recent impression from youtube (headphones.com Andrew) says it is too bright.
Anyone knows?
I don't know about any changes to tuning but I will say that what I hear from my Starlight does not match the published marketing graph on HiFiGo. They are a very intense treble cannons. But, they do respond very well to EQ and I tamed the treble by doing so with excellent results. This tells me it is a clean and revealing treble that does not lose it's airy and articulate nature by reducing the 8K and 16K bands. I had the TSMR Land and I found them too bright for my tastes. I was not satisfied with results of trying to reduce the treble with EQ on the Land. They were just a different type of treble that I could not adapt to. I think if you find the Starlight too bright, give them a chance with a good copper cable and apply some EQ, you can start to appreciate the level of details being presented. I would guess that guys like Crinacle do not spend a lot of time trying to cable or tip roll or even experiment with EQ before he passes judgement. That's fine and well as he cycles through a lot of products and probably doesn't have the time to experiment to bring out the most from a product. I used to be dead set on relying on EQ but I found that If I give it some time and let headphones and earphones "break-in" and experiment with variables such as tips, cables and EQ that I could be missing out on something really special. The problem that remains is that I still get the urge to try the next best thing in hopes that it will be perfect without the tweaks. I gotta learn to just enjoy what I have and quit chasing perfection out of the box. Maybe someday!

Jun 24, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #2,619 of 3,867
I don't know about any changes to tuning but I will say that what I hear from my Starlight does not match the published marketing graph on HiFiGo. They are a very intense treble cannons. But, they do respond very well to EQ and I tamed the treble by doing so with excellent results. This tells me it is a clean and revealing treble that does not lose it's airy and articulate nature by reducing the 8K and 16K bands. I had the TSMR Land and I found them too bright for my tastes. I was not satisfied with results of trying to reduce the treble with EQ on the Land. They were just a different type of treble that I could not adapt to. I think if you find the Starlight too bright, give them a chance with a good copper cable and apply some EQ, you can start to appreciate the level of details being presented. I would guess that guys like Crinacle do not spend a lot of time trying to cable or tip roll or even experiment with EQ before he passes judgement. That's fine and well as he cycles through a lot of products and probably doesn't have the time to experiment to bring out the most from a product. I used to be dead set on relying on EQ but I found that If I give it some time and let headphones and earphones "break-in" and experiment with variables such as tips, cables and EQ that I could be missing out on something really special. The problem that remains is that I still get the urge to try the next best thing in hopes that it will be perfect without the tweaks. I gotta learn to just enjoy what I have and quit chasing perfection out of the box. Maybe someday!
Thanks for your thoughts. I completely agree with your point that many reviewers don't have enough physical time to try their best to find the best combinations of tip/source/cable/EQ for all those IEMs that they are auditioning. So I usually believe what the users who paid their own money for the IEMs say.
I consider myself a treble head and clarity and airiness as the most important parameter for evaluation. And I also don't mind at all EQing.
In that sense, Starlight could be my taste as well. For example, LZ A6. Many people said it is too bright and only the filter that tames the treble most was tolerable for them. But I am using it with the black filter without any problem. I was torn between Starlight and moondrop S8 but starlight could be more like a guilty pleasure set for me.
I will drop my impression here if I end up buying Starlight!

Jun 24, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #2,620 of 3,867
wow.. the price of TRI starlight was ~550$ last year 11/11 sale. I will skip this ali summer sale and wait for the next chance.. :sweat_smile:

Jun 24, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #2,621 of 3,867
Anyone knows?
The current Tri Starlight is the V4.0 so depending on when the measurement was taken de model might have been different.

Jun 24, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #2,622 of 3,867
The current Tri Starlight is the V4.0 so depending on when the measurement was taken de model might have been different.
didn't know about that... Then is the newer version with more treble as in Crinacle's measurement?

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #2,623 of 3,867
I am not sure there is a version 4. I believe this was a misreading of the text by Zeos, which has taken hold. It is set out as:

TRI Starlight 4 electrostatic drive..

The lack of space or differentiation in the text gives the impression that it says TRI Starlight 4.
Screenshot_20210624-135402_Gallery.jpg

There is one and only one version of TRI Starlights. You may want to check this with @WendyLi.

Varitions in measurements could stem from the different rigs being used in taking the measurements.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #2,624 of 3,867
I am not sure there is a version 4. I believe this was a misreading of the text by Zeos, which has taken hold. It is set out as:

TRI Starlight 4 electrostatic drive..

The lack of space or differentiation in the text gives the impression that it says TRI Starlight 4.
Screenshot_20210624-135402_Gallery.jpg
There is one and only one version of TRI Starlights. You may want to check this with @WendyLi.

Varitions in measurements could stem from the different rigs being used in taking the measurements.
The "4" looks like the driver count for the EST drivers not a model name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back