Trent Reznor of NIN is an audiophile
Sep 11, 2009 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Everyone's obsessed with the highest possible resolution for their TV's...yet everyone still walks around with those terrible-quality white ipod "earbuds"

- NIN rocker Trent Reznor on consumers' appalling tolerance for low-quality audio

How true.

i see people talkin how big LCD they bought...yet they power them with in-built speakers or cheap for-sale Home theatres.

and they listen to music most of their lives at 128 kbps mp3 with cheap earbuds blasted until they are cracking.

and great to know musicians are encouraging hi-fi audio at consumer level.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #2 of 33
yeah, that would have to be a no-brainer. all of his albums are fun to listen to. there is so much going on in the songs.

definitely cool to hear him make that comment too. and Trent Reznor or not, he has a point. people either just don't care or don't know any better...or don't care, haha.

he's an Apple fan as well, so that makes what he said even more biting
darthsmile.gif

ninstudio.jpg

Nothing_Studios_inside.jpg

trentz.jpg

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #3 of 33
wow..thats trent's home studio? .....looks like underground mad scientist lab where they make nukes.

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 33
Yeah, but he'll never be as cool as Fabio.

I truly appreciate his release of The Downward Spiral on SACD, but I'd pay copious amounts of money for Pretty Hate Machine on SACD. The album truly deserves the treatment.

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but he'll never be as cool as Fabio.

I truly appreciate his release of The Downward Spiral on SACD, but I'd pay copious amounts of money for Pretty Hate Machine on SACD. The album truly deserves the treatment.

That would be awesome, but I don't know if it will happen. Last I heard, he lost the rights to the album or some nonsense when TVT went under. And then some other company or label won the rights and re-released the CD as a re-mastered version.

I'm SO lucky to have a sealed original pressing of the Pretty Hate Machine vinyl. I don't have a lot of things that I collect, but that is definitely my pride and joy. And I bought it long before prices went through the roof.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love that man.

That studio looks amazing. A shame it was most likely destroyed in Katrina.

it was fine, but it's not a studio anymore.

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #10 of 33
As Lights in the Sky/Corona Radiata/The Four of Us Are Dying are among my favourite "test" tracks that I use to show off my HD650s... this makes total sense.

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #11 of 33
well to be fair to trent's statement about TVs they obsess over 1080p and bigger screens but then they don't calibrate their damn TV and leave it in super bright boosted contrast factory settings... then most of them only watch SD content

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well to be fair to trent's statement about TVs they obsess over 1080p and bigger screens but then they don't calibrate their damn TV and leave it in super bright boosted contrast factory settings... then most of them only watch SD content

ding! ding! ding! winnar!

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #13 of 33
I'm not surprised Trent knows a thing or two about audio. But to be honest, there has to be more artist involvement to give awareness on lossless music and better headphones and IEM's and speakers.

Why arent manufacturers signing up artists for advertising their HPs? I can totally see a lot of ppl buying a Sennheiser HD whatever if Trent came and said these are my favourite headphones and I wont listen to anything else.

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yup! Not to mention "enhanced" contrast. I had a little LCD HDTV (sadly stolen) and first thing I did was turn off all the "enhancements" and set the brightness more appropriate to where I was using it. Also, making sure my Xbox 360 was actually outputting at 720p and the correct 16:9 aspect ratio...

That said, we tech nerds are in the minority. I used to work at a video rental place (starts with a "B") just as VHS was phasing out for good. Most customers' who asked me what the difference between Pan & Scan and Letterbox (new terms for the emerging DVD market as VHS was overwhelmingly Pan & Scan) were started falling asleep as I attempted to explain what such esoteric terms as "aspect ratio" and "cropping" meant. Eventually, like all retail workers, I died a bit inside and gave up. The answer I settled on? "Letterbox means those black bars at the top and bottom."
frown.gif
At least even the most troglodytic customer could understand that.

Luckily nobody ever asked me what the difference between Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby Digital was.

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #15 of 33
i think i should take up job as marketing manager for some audio equipment companies.

there is so much potential in marketing...plus my business management degree mite help

also...meeting hot female singers wud be an added bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back