Trekstor Vibez or Sony NW-A808
May 24, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #31 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be nice if you could do a detailed review with lots of photos of the GUI screens etc. I only use SonicStage for tranferring music to and from my HiMD I don't use it as my library manager. It work well enough for that.

sonicstage as library manager = better than itunes (IMHO of course
wink.gif
)

Just sit down and play around with it for an hour or so. You'll be impressed!

May 24, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #33 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkangel9685 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sonicstage as library manager = better than itunes (IMHO of course
wink.gif
)

Just sit down and play around with it for an hour or so. You'll be impressed!

You have GOT to be kidding.

May 24, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #35 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hold the phone, better than the iMod?!!! I thought iMod is supposed to be the best portable DAP by a LARGE margin?

More on this please!

Very curious about this myself. I've never heard an iMod and would love to hear more about how the two compare.

May 24, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #36 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's this nonsense about better than Imod?

I trialed the Vibez for a weekend, it wasn't that special.
Has some secret line-out mode been discovered in the last couple months?

Set volume to max and use the headphone out to amp for astonishing results.
Enjoy.
Do!

May 24, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #37 of 81
cn11, I find unbelievable that the Vibez is on par (or even better than) the Kenwood. Which headphones are you using?

For those saying the Vibez is better than iMod... I think it depends on what amp do you use with the iMod. With a crappy external amp, the Vibez could really be better.

May 24, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #38 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean on the Sony?

Yea... from looking at the Files on the player, the database seems really random...

Alot of meaningless files, a lot blank, although there is the track names, i can't seem to make any links, or can't see any references to file names?

Once it can be tied together, its only a case of making an algorithm that can modify those files..

Easier said than done, but i'm trying to do it, all the Sony HDD and new Flash player, as in the 808 use the same database iirc.

EDIT - Infact, the best way of doing this would to... add 5 or maybe 10 songs to a blank MP3 player, and then, check the database with 1 file, 3 files, 5 files, ect.
Then have a blast at say 20, 50, 75, and 100 tracks.

Should be able to figure it out doing this..

I'm going to have a seriously go at it 2moz.

MiG

May 25, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #39 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cn11, I find unbelievable that the Vibez is on par (or even better than) the Kenwood. Which headphones are you using?

For those saying the Vibez is better than iMod... I think it depends on what amp do you use with the iMod. With a crappy external amp, the Vibez could really be better.

I am using the Future Sonics Atrio. I'm a self-admitted bass nut, and really like the amount of subtle tuning you can do with the Vibez' equalizer. The whole rest of the frequency range sounds just as detailed as the Kenwood to me, soundstage is as nice, and the background noise is less. I'm not sure if these impressions are a result of the forgiving nature of the Atrio or what, but it's what my ears hear.

May 25, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #40 of 81
A little bit about the SQ of the A808. It is really very good, dynamic and detailed. However, it misses the smoothness and silky treble of earlier Sony HD-players (I had the HD1 & A3000, listened to the HD5). Those players I could listen to for hours without any fatigue.
The A808 is more analitical sounding with incisive treble, even on smooth headphones like the Shure E4, Senn HD485&PX100 etc. I find myself sometimes fiddling with the EQ-functions to make the sound more easy on my ears, without much succes.
However, this is very personal; I like smoothness and do not mind a little bit of treble rollof or slightly reduced dynamics if the result is untiring musical bliss.
But if you like some bite in your music or you are a detail-lover f.i. you'll probably love the A808 SQ.

May 25, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #41 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad you mentioned the Tomahawk amp. When I connected my Vibez to my Sq-84 my jaw dropped. I'm now planning on getting a black Xin SuperMicro VI for ultaportable use. I 'm interested in what others think about using their Vibez with an amp. By the way I set the volume to max when I connected it to my amp.

Enjoy.
Do!

When I first tried the Vibez with the Tomahawk I was unimpressed and preferred the SQ unamped, although I did think the sound was on a par with my 4g imod iPod. However last night I tried yanking the volume up on the Vibez to the max & plugged the Tomahawk in and it now brings the SQ up to a different level.
I have ordered the new 5/5.5g imod but am now trying to decide as to whether I should cancel it!

May 25, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #42 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicdiddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I first tried the Vibez with the Tomahawk I was unimpressed and preferred the SQ unamped, although I did think the sound was on a par with my 4g imod iPod. However last night I tried yanking the volume up on the Vibez to the max & plugged the Tomahawk in and it now brings the SQ up to a different level.
I have ordered the new 5/5.5g imod but am now trying to decide as to whether I should cancel it!

That's good to here. May I aslo suggest setting the EQ to flat and try messing with the low and high gain settings. By the way you just convinced me to pull the trigger on a SuperMicro IV. I guess I should say thanks for thinning out my wallet!!!

Enjoy.
Do!

May 25, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #43 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A little bit about the SQ of the A808. It is really very good, dynamic and detailed. However, it misses the smoothness and silky treble of earlier Sony HD-players (I had the HD1 & A3000, listened to the HD5). Those players I could listen to for hours without any fatigue.
The A808 is more analitical sounding with incisive treble, even on smooth headphones like the Shure E4, Senn HD485&PX100 etc. I find myself sometimes fiddling with the EQ-functions to make the sound more easy on my ears, without much succes.
However, this is very personal; I like smoothness and do not mind a little bit of treble rollof or slightly reduced dynamics if the result is untiring musical bliss.
But if you like some bite in your music or you are a detail-lover f.i. you'll probably love the A808 SQ.

dura,
thank you very very much. I posted twice asking for some comments on A808 SQ like yours, because the A808 looks so nice on paper, and yet Sony's SQ has varied between products. I too enjoy smoothness, and am also willing to compromise for it --- but neither the X5 nor the HD30GA9 had that quality. The 4G 20GB iMod that I once owned did, through a Tomahawk or especially the SM3v6, but it lacked frequency extension, detail, and timbre, and I sold it. The Vibez, on the other hand, seems to have a good balance across all categories - detail, extension, smoothness, and "enjoyability", even though it is a bit bright in overall balance (compared to a D-33 or D-303 or DCP-100 pcdp). Plus it's easy to use, easily rechargeable, and relatively inexpensive. It's really the first DAP that I'm willing to carry on long-distance travel.

dura, if you could make a direct comparison of the A808 and the Vibez, that would be fantastic. Otherwise, many thanks for posting your comments - you made me feel that I made the right choice in buying the Vibez !!!

smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #44 of 81
Well I received my Vibez today... and I'm not as happy with the SQ as I thought I'd be. I did get to demo my coworker's directly against my Kenwood HD10GB7 the other day and decided then that it was the equal if not a tad superior to the Kenwood, but upon further comparison today I realized that I didn't listen long enough the other day or compare a wide enough selection of music. I find the Kenwood to be a bit more refined again now, and slightly warmer, with wider soundstage. The Vibez is close don't get me wrong, but the Kenwood has more of a mellow, warm, easy-going enjoyability to it that I love matched up with the Future Sonics Atrio. What to do, what to do... I still can't figure out the playlist on the Kenwood, which is a deal-breaker in my mind on that player. Is the Sony NW A808 up there with the Kenwood?

Cheers, Chris.

May 26, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #45 of 81
Sorry, I don't have access to the Kenwood or the Vibez.
In the new firmware version 1.02 for the A808 the unwanted bit of sharpness added when the EQ is active seems to be removed, so that the SQ can be customized to one's tastes.
It still remains an analytical sounding player but I can live with it, having given up for good on HD-players for reasons of reliability, compactness and batterylife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back