Trekstor Vibez or Sony NW-A808
May 23, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #16 of 81
thanks for the tips... I had a chance to demo my Kenwood HD10GB7 with a coworker's Vibez today (he just got it today- finally went to something decent sounding after some bad luck with ipod's), and I have to say that the vibez is REALLY close in sound quality. I think the kenwood is still a TINY bit more full, and lush in the mids, but it's like splitting hairs. I suppose that is due to the higher quality internal headphone amp. If I could just figure out the stinkin' playlist, I'd be so happy with it.

May 23, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #17 of 81
I got the Sony NW-A808.
Amazing player! Excellent SQ, lots of EQ-possibilities (EQ with additional clearbass, VPT, clearstereo, normalisation; but take it easy with that, adding too much effects at once gives a slight sharpness), very small, long batterylife, beautiful and solid build quality.
Nowadays only people who brainlessly repeat what their schoolfriends say hate sonic stage; though not intuitive, it is stable, fast, DRM-free and userfriendly in its 4.x incarnation since over 2 years. Not perfect, but certainly not so bad that it deserves the disgust it still gets.

May 23, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #18 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the Sony NW-A808.
Amazing player! Excellent SQ, lots of EQ-possibilities (EQ with additional clearbass, VPT, clearstereo, normalisation; but take it easy with that, adding too much effects at once gives a slight sharpness), very small, long batterylife, beautiful and solid build quality.
Nowadays only people who brainlessly repeat what their schoolfriends say hate sonic stage; though not intuitive, it is stable, fast, DRM-free and userfriendly in its 4.x incarnation since over 2 years. Not perfect, but certainly not so bad that it deserves the disgust it still gets.

Be nice if you could do a detailed review with lots of photos of the GUI screens etc. I only use SonicStage for tranferring music to and from my HiMD I don't use it as my library manager. It work well enough for that.

May 23, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #19 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the Sony NW-A808.

Thanks for the quick review! It sounds like an awesome player. I will be patient with whatever I choose next; the Kenwood is excellent for at work listening where I don't need a playlist to keep going for long periods. I'm slowly getting spoiled by the sound quality of this one (the sound, 10g, and amazing battery life, tiny size for travel portability), and am thinking that I would keep it if I can figure out the playlists.

As for the Sony, how low frequency can you tune on the customizable eq? I would love it if you can do somewhere around 40hz; the kenwood does down to 60hz which still has the effect of bumping the mid-bass somewhat too, and that's not the effect I want....just the tuning of the very low subtle deep bass. Thanks!

May 23, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #20 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the Sony, how low frequency can you tune on the customizable eq? I would love it if you can do somewhere around 40hz; the kenwood does down to 60hz which still has the effect of bumping the mid-bass somewhat too, and that's not the effect I want....just the tuning of the very low subtle deep bass. Thanks!

FWIW, the Vibez's 5 EQ bands are customizable from 20hz to 20khz and widths from 0.2 to 4.0 octaves.

May 23, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #21 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubenNYC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, the Vibez's 5 EQ bands are customizable from 20hz to 20khz and widths from 0.2 to 4.0 octaves.

That does help! Ahhh, decisions decisions. Thanks for the info.

-Chris.

May 23, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #22 of 81
I vote for Trekstor - gapless, superior EQ and great sound.

May 23, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #23 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsiCore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I vote for Trekstor - gapless, superior EQ and great sound.

Yeah, I think my coworker who just got his yesterday would agree.
cool.gif

May 24, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #25 of 81
my Vibez arrived today - WOW - easy to load with albums as folders using windows drag and drop to the removable USB drive - the mini USB makes it rechargeable on the road with the same new battery USB charger I use for my cell phone - and the sound quality is certainly the best I've heard from a DAP - better than iMod, X5, HD30GA9, Sansa Connect - and even better through a Tomahawk - looking forward to the likely improvement after breaking in ... only complaint is that the mini phono output connector has a weak inner clip, so the right channel drops if the plug slips out.

smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #26 of 81
I'd Have the Sony in a Heartbeat if I could afford to splash the cash on a new MP3 Player.

I might do a review on Sonic Stage... sure, its not the best piece of kit ever.. but it's fine.

Still trying 2 figure out how the database on the Player works though, could create a drag and drop interface...
cool.gif

Doesn't seem to complicated, just random...

May 24, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #27 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by budx3385 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my Vibez arrived today - WOW - easy to load with albums as folders using windows drag and drop to the removable USB drive - the mini USB makes it rechargeable on the road with the same new battery USB charger I use for my cell phone - and the sound quality is certainly the best I've heard from a DAP - better than iMod, X5, HD30GA9, Sansa Connect - and even better through a Tomahawk - looking forward to the likely improvement after breaking in ... only complaint is that the mini phono output connector has a weak inner clip, so the right channel drops if the plug slips out.

smily_headphones1.gif

I'm glad you mentioned the Tomahawk amp. When I connected my Vibez to my Sq-84 my jaw dropped. I'm now planning on getting a black Xin SuperMicro VI for ultaportable use. I 'm interested in what others think about using their Vibez with an amp. By the way I set the volume to max when I connected it to my amp.

Enjoy.
Do!

May 24, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #28 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by MiG™ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Still trying 2 figure out how the database on the Player works though, could create a drag and drop interface...
cool.gif

Do you mean on the Sony?

May 24, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #29 of 81
Ok, after getting to listen and familiarize with my coworker's Vibez even more yesterday, I now feel that the sound quality is above my Kenwood. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one on Amazon. I cannot think of any negatives on the Vibez. When you tweak the bass at 20 hz, it's awesome yet subtle. Sooo nice.

May 24, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #30 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by budx3385 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- and the sound quality is certainly the best I've heard from a DAP - better than iMod

Hold the phone, better than the iMod?!!! I thought iMod is supposed to be the best portable DAP by a LARGE margin?

More on this please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back