Transitioning from M50's to A900X's, but learned the A900X's aren't portable. What do I do?
Apr 9, 2013 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

3ternalDr4gon

100+ Head-Fier
Basically, I saw the deal of $130 for ATH-A900X's a couple days ago and jumped on it instantly after some quick googling - it's commonly regarded as a clear upgrade to the M50's, and I got those for $150 (bought em last year in January). I purchased these ASAP because you never know how long these deals lasts. More often than not, not very long.

After learning they aren't portable, I tried looking on Head-Fi's top ranked headphones, I can't seem to find headphones that are closed, over-ear, portable, and better than the M50's .

Are M50's really the best headphones to get for the bolded criteria above? My dilemma is that since the A900X's aren't portable, they are in the same realm as open headphones in regards to convenience. That being the case, I might as well sell them and save up for DT 880 600's (I read on another thread that these are extremely close to the T1's, I understand that's a whole other debate entirely though)

If it matters at all, I purchased the Superlux HD668B's yesterday. Both those and the A900X's haven't come in yet.

My headphone buying history

Wireless Beats --> Studio Beats --> M50's --> A900X's  + HD668B's (which I haven't used yet obv)

My music mainly consists of Daft Punk, Skrillex, and David Guetta type stuff, as well as Hip Hop. I'm slowly getting into Rock and want to transition to other things as well. 

I can save up to a budget of $400 max

1. When it comes to upgrading from the M50's sound quality, am I stuck resorting to open headphones and IEM's?
2. If the only upgrade in the headphones option is quiet, indoor listening (open headphones), is the iPod Classic a good source for the DT 880 600's? What amp should I get with it? And what should be installed in the iPod Classic to maximize it's performance? I read it around here somewhere but I lost the thread.
3. Can anyone recommend closed, portable headphones with good sound that look good as well? I like the K701's but those are open.
4. Is there a portable amp that I should get to accompany my M50's with the music I listen to? I currently use the iPod touch 4th generation as a source. 

Thanks guys, sorry if this was too long

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 5
Not sure if I'm getting trolled or if you mean the T50RP's

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 5
bump

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 5
Maybe check out V-Moda M-100? It would work nicely for your needs. Have not tried them myself, but I have tried the M-80 which I would rank around the same level as the M50 (but then again, different signature and M-80 is supraaural while M-100 is circum). You can read up on the big brother M-100 to see if you'd like the signature, but then again, I'm just blurting out some observations and speculations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back