Tralucent T1 appreciation thread - post your experiences and questions here
Oct 31, 2012 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 546

Loquah

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently bought the T1 and am so impressed. I've written a review in the product section, but was prompted by another Head-Fi'er (thanks saraguie) to start this thread so here goes with the review...

The T1 is a new portable amp from a new audio company (Tralucent). Don't be dissuaded - it's a brilliant product!

The T1 is a stocky design for a portable. Here it is with the Fiio E11.

As you can see, the footprint is the same as the E11, but it's about twice as thick. For some that might be an issue, but the performance definitely makes up for the size.

The T1 is simple (in a good way)

The only options are power on/off and volume. No gain switches or bass boost switches, just clean, transparent sound. It charges via USB and will operate while USB powered to save the battery, but battery life is great so you don't need to be precious with the power. A full charge from flat takes around 5 hours apparently, but seems to comfortably provide more than 10-12 hours of continuous playback (I left it playing all night to burn-in and it was still going strong the next morning).

In terms of design, the T1 does look handmade (or at least hand assembled) due to a handwritten serial number and the fact that on mine the 3.5mm output socket is on a slight angle. It doesn't affect usability at all and in some ways endears the product to me a little more because it adds a touch of soul. Some people might find it disappointing, but plug it in and take a listen before you get turned off by minor "imperfections" like that. In the end it's pretty perfect in all the places that matter.

Accessories

The T1 comes with:
  1. rechargable NiMH 9V battery that you have to install yourself (so it can be shipped via air I guess)
  2. Allen key to open the T1 (to install the battery)
  3. 2 x rubber bands to attach to your player
  4. 1 x high quality 3.5mm - 3.5mm interconnect
  5. 4 x adhesive rubber feet
  6. USB charging cable

The Sound

The sound from the T1 is clean, transparent and controlled. It seems to be very neutral without any discernible colouration to my ears. It's got plenty of power so you'll have the headroom required for good sound dynamics on most headphones.

Driving my IEMs (Re272 and SE535 LE) the T1 is just magic. Soundstage is clear, open and well defined and there is absolutely no background noise so the music has real presence and texture as it comes out of the "darkness". The sound is dynamic, engaging, controlled and exciting - without any colouration.

In reading over this I've noticed that I keep talking about control. The T1 does an incredible job of keeping the sounds tight and punchy, but still musical. There's no sense of artificial restriction to the sound, but it's SO TIGHT! I was listening to some Wolfmother and the individual sounds were so well defined and with such great impact that I had to go back and listen again. At the time my source was a 7th Gen iPod Classic which I find a little bit lacking in its presentation when compared to my iPod Video (5.5G) and Cowon X7 so for it to sound so good is a real credit to the T1.

When driving the HD650s, the T1 does a great job for a portable amp. It doesn't have the same dynamics as my Audio-gd NFB-5.2, but the general quality of the sound (i.e. silent background, clear and transparent presentation, etc.) is equal.

For me, the T1 sounds easily as good as anything I've plugged my IEMs into. Sure, it doesn't have the voltage swing to power less sensitive full-size cans, but for a portable amplifier it's going to be very hard to beat - especially for the price which is well below it's realistic competitors (2Stepdance, Voyager, RSA Hornet, etc.)

I hope to complete a full comparison review on my blog in the near future, but would already highly recommend the T1 based on it's merits alone. For the price I am very confident saying that you won't find a comparable portable amplifier!

I'm waiting on a pair of UM Miracles which will show me even more of the T1's brilliance I hope. I'll have more reviews and comparisons to share soon...

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 546
Nice review! I'm definitely enjoying my T1 amp very much especially after burn in. This amp takes quite a while to fully burn in. I'd say give it over 250 hours and it will greatly improve. I'm actually on the fence now about selling my UHA6 MKII. I think it's really that good with my DX100.

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 546
Even tried to see if it would power my HE-500 and it did, no probs! Still prefer the DACmini to pair with HE-500 but wanted to test the amp quickly - has enough power in this small thing for sure! Very impressed with amp and nice review. 

Mine has been used for about 100 hours or so only but things are settling down now and it definitely is a neutral sounding amp. Colour me impressed!

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 546
Quote:
I recently bought the T1 and am so impressed. I've written a review in the product section, but was prompted by another Head-Fi'er (thanks saraguie) to start this thread so here goes with the review...

The T1 is a new portable amp from a new audio company (Tralucent). Don't be dissuaded - it's a brilliant product!

The T1 is a stocky design for a portable. Here it is with the Fiio E11.

As you can see, the footprint is the same as the E11, but it's about twice as thick. For some that might be an issue, but the performance definitely makes up for the size.

The T1 is simple (in a good way)

The only options are power on/off and volume. No gain switches or bass boost switches, just clean, transparent sound. It charges via USB and will operate while USB powered to save the battery, but battery life is great so you don't need to be precious with the power. A full charge from flat takes around 5 hours apparently, but seems to comfortably provide more than 10-12 hours of continuous playback (I left it playing all night to burn-in and it was still going strong the next morning).

In terms of design, the T1 does look handmade (or at least hand assembled) due to a handwritten serial number and the fact that on mine the 3.5mm output socket is on a slight angle. It doesn't affect usability at all and in some ways endears the product to me a little more because it adds a touch of soul. Some people might find it disappointing, but plug it in and take a listen before you get turned off by minor "imperfections" like that. In the end it's pretty perfect in all the places that matter.

Accessories

The T1 comes with:
  1. rechargable NiMH 9V battery that you have to install yourself (so it can be shipped via air I guess)
  2. Allen key to open the T1 (to install the battery)
  3. 2 x rubber bands to attach to your player
  4. 1 x high quality 3.5mm - 3.5mm interconnect
  5. 4 x adhesive rubber feet
  6. USB charging cable

The Sound

The sound from the T1 is clean, transparent and controlled. It seems to be very neutral without any discernible colouration to my ears. It's got plenty of power so you'll have the headroom required for good sound dynamics on most headphones.

Driving my IEMs (Re272 and SE535 LE) the T1 is just magic. Soundstage is clear, open and well defined and there is absolutely no background noise so the music has real presence and texture as it comes out of the "darkness". The sound is dynamic, engaging, controlled and exciting - without any colouration.

In reading over this I've noticed that I keep talking about control. The T1 does an incredible job of keeping the sounds tight and punchy, but still musical. There's no sense of artificial restriction to the sound, but it's SO TIGHT! I was listening to some Wolfmother and the individual sounds were so well defined and with such great impact that I had to go back and listen again. At the time my source was a 7th Gen iPod Classic which I find a little bit lacking in its presentation when compared to my iPod Video (5.5G) and Cowon X7 so for it to sound so good is a real credit to the T1.

When driving the HD650s, the T1 does a great job for a portable amp. It doesn't have the same dynamics as my Audio-gd NFB-5.2, but the general quality of the sound (i.e. silent background, clear and transparent presentation, etc.) is equal.

For me, the T1 sounds easily as good as anything I've plugged my IEMs into. Sure, it doesn't have the voltage swing to power less sensitive full-size cans, but for a portable amplifier it's going to be very hard to beat - especially for the price which is well below it's realistic competitors (2Stepdance, Voyager, RSA Hornet, etc.)

I hope to complete a full comparison review on my blog in the near future, but would already highly recommend the T1 based on it's merits alone. For the price I am very confident saying that you won't find a comparable portable amplifier!

I'm waiting on a pair of UM Miracles which will show me even more of the T1's brilliance I hope. I'll have more reviews and comparisons to share soon...

I've tried the T1 with my Miracles for a very short, too short a time to comment. FWIR the T1 sounded good and strong, with the highs coming thru nicely.
Good review!

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #6 of 546
Quote:
I've tried the T1 with my Miracles for a very short, too short a time to comment. FWIR the T1 sounded good and strong, with the highs coming thru nicely.
Good review!

That's great to hear - thanks Saraguie. I can't wait to test the T1 + Miracle combo thoroughly. Late Nov / early Dec before I get my Miracles...

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 546
Quote:
That's great to hear - thanks Saraguie. I can't wait to test the T1 + Miracle combo thoroughly. Late Nov / early Dec before I get my Miracles...

If you pray, the miracles might get there quicker! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #10 of 546
Quote:
I thought the T1 was small but that Fiio is quite slim! What are others getting in battery life? I am getting roughly 20 hours playback.

The Fiio is tiny, but the sound is nowhere near as good. It's an upgrade from most stock players, but has lots of noise on sensitive IEMs, etc. and is a bit soft and lacking control compared to the T1.

Nov 3, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #11 of 546
Quote:
The Fiio is tiny, but the sound is nowhere near as good. It's an upgrade from most stock players, but has lots of noise on sensitive IEMs, etc. and is a bit soft and lacking control compared to the T1.

Figured as much. The T1 amp continues to amaze me. The fact that it is my go to amp for my DX100 is saying a lot. Even over the UHA6 MKII and Triad Amp (synergy). The T1 pairs better with the DX100 and goes well with all my IEMs. Keeping in mind this is from a very neutral IEM to a bassy IEM. So it's very versatile. Just the control this amp has over the sound and spacial positioning of the sound stage is amazing. Great depth and width. It's balanced and at the same time full. At least from what I am hearing I am not surprised that this amp competes with amps double it's price range. Pretty scary and also a great value taking that into consideration. It's a little amp with big sound. I generally use it at half way on the volume pot and use the DX100 to attenuate the line out (the DX100 has the ability to lower or raise the volume of its line out which is extremely handy).

Nov 3, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #12 of 546
will purchase this very soon .. can't wait to get my job bonus! 

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #13 of 546
I'm not sure exactly what the timeline is, but I'll be evaluating the T1 (along with the 1plus2) in the coming weeks. I've already (very briefly) heard the T1 once before, and thought it was quite good.

I'm thinking about comparing it against the Firestone FireyeHD, which has been mostly neglected here on head-fi, but is an amp that I also find to be quite good. Let me know if that's something you guys would be interested in reading (or just a simple, singular review).

Nov 3, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #14 of 546
Quote:
I'm not sure exactly what the timeline is, but I'll be evaluating the T1 (along with the 1plus2) in the coming weeks. I've already (very briefly) heard the T1 once before, and thought it was quite good.

I'm thinking about comparing it against the Firestone FireyeHD, which has been mostly neglected here on head-fi, but is an amp that I also find to be quite good. Let me know if that's something you guys would be interested in reading (or just a simple, singular review).

I would like to hear about the Firestone please.

Nov 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #15 of 546
That sounds nice. Competition is always a plus :). Do you have any other more popular portable amps to compare to (ones well known here on headfi likr Pico Slim, TTVJ Slim, Arrow etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back