Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM (Now With 'New' 1Plus2.2!) Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #5,582 of 6,404
Gold cable?is that the new cable coming as stock cable when you bought 1plus2?

I think stock is the new silver cable. Gold cable is a slight upgrade then the ubber is the top upgrade. I had the gold cable on them. Also have the old gold cable which is very different from the new one. The old one is more musical sounding. Puts more emphasis on the vocals, adds more depth to the staging with smoother treble and more textured bass. Match made in heave on the SE5.

Sep 11, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #5,583 of 6,404
I think stock is the new silver cable. Gold cable is a slight upgrade then the ubber is the top upgrade. I had the gold cable on them. Also have the old gold cable which is very different from the new one. The old one is more musical sounding. Puts more emphasis on the vocals, adds more depth to the staging with smoother treble and more textured bass. Match made in heave on the SE5.
Then i got the stock silver:).i agree with you with the sibilance thing,i can listen with the stock cable on high volume,i can feel the bass banging my eardrums loosening some of the wax on my ears.lol..differnt story on dhc fusion..to bad the stock cable broke.

Sep 11, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #5,584 of 6,404
I can confirm with Nick that sibilance is an issue with the 1plus2. I had also just received them from a fellow head-fier (midnightwalker) and upon first listen I was surprised at the amount of sibilance they had. I was using them with the ortofon tips. They came with the silver/gold cable (v2). I know I am quite sensitive to sibilance but there are certain songs in my library where the sibilance was so piercing to my ears that I just couldn't listen to them on the 1p2.

Asides from the sibilance, they sound great. Bass is ample with good sub-bass, soundstage is huge and airy and vocals (apart from sibilance) sound engaging. I'm trying really hard to like these iems, I can really see their potential, but the sibilance is currently a hindrance. So far I've put on some comply foam T-500 + wax guard and that seems to tame the sibilance to more tolerable levels. Pretty sure it isn't a fit issue as they sit quite deep in my ears and I have a good seal. I know Anakchan also reported sibilance with them but I didn't expect this much. Will post up more impressions as I spend more time with them.

Sep 11, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #5,585 of 6,404
Asides from the sibilance, they sound great. Bass is ample with good sub-bass, soundstage is huge and airy and vocals (apart from sibilance) sound engaging. I'm trying really hard to like these iems, I can really see their potential, but the sibilance is currently a hindrance. 

I have 1plus2 (for about last year or so) and also notice some sibilance - but only on some albums. Let me also add that I also have the new Tralucent Ref 1 which completely removes the sibilance, and further improves on 1plus2 bass and mids, while still maintaining the great wide stage. I think Ref 1 truly realizes the potential of 1plus2. By the way, all of my listening is on Tera player which matches great with both 1plus2 and Ref 1 (and it's signature probably helps tone down some of the 1plus2 sibilance). Also, all of my observations are with the Tralucent gold/silver cable (both for 1plus2 and Ref 1). I have also used the DHC copper cable with 1plus2 and felt that it helped remove some of the sibilance (improved on gold/silver). However with Ref 1 I prefer the stock gold/silver cable. I have never tried Uber (thought about it before Ref 1 came out but feel is not needed for Ref 1 which is perfect as is - my end game combo with Tera).

Sep 11, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #5,586 of 6,404
If you hear sibilence them try the jvc tips and then foam tips if it's still a problem.

Sep 11, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #5,587 of 6,404
I assume you're both talking about vocal sibilance, yes 1Plus2 was not immune though I thought well under control considering how lean / vivid the earphone is. Keep in mind your sources will also play a role in the amount of sibilance. For an earphone that's tuned so high in the upper-mids and extracting the amount of detail it does there's no possible way IMO that you can avoid vocal sibilance 100%, therefore the amounts I encountered were well under control and not an annoyance.

Sep 11, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #5,588 of 6,404

I have 1plus2 (for about last year or so) and also notice some sibilance - but only on some albums. Let me also add that I also have the new Tralucent Ref 1 which completely removes the sibilance, and further improves on 1plus2 bass and mids, while still maintaining the great wide stage. I think Ref 1 truly realizes the potential of 1plus2. By the way, all of my listening is on Tera player which matches great with both 1plus2 and Ref 1 (and it's signature probably helps tone down some of the 1plus2 sibilance). Also, all of my observations are with the Tralucent gold/silver cable (both for 1plus2 and Ref 1). I have also used the DHC copper cable with 1plus2 and felt that it helped remove some of the sibilance (improved on gold/silver). However with Ref 1 I prefer the stock gold/silver cable. I have never tried Uber (thought about it before Ref 1 came out but feel is not needed for Ref 1 which is perfect as is - my end game combo with Tera).

Agreed with you that 1Plus2/Tera are perfect partners as Tera's silky smooth SQ and with 1Plus2 highly capable to extracts details both complement each other extremely well. 

The question would then be what is the best partner for your DAP or vice versa the best partner of 1Plus2.  You may find in this forum that there are issues with any equipments that you own or previously owned as "partnership" is one key to deliver a collective result.  The wrong partnership would expose weaknesses one way or the other.  

Sep 11, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #5,589 of 6,404
My 1p2's are paired with the HM-901 (balanced amp card), i've spent a little bit more time listening to them. I found that the comply foam tips + wax guard helps a lot with the sibilance so i'll be sticking with them for now. I guess it also comes down to how the music was mastered, if it was badly mastered and already exhibits sibilance then the 1p2 will just accentuate it even further. 

So compared to my Roxannes, they definitely sound less claustrophobic and the mids are more laid back. Bass doesn't hit as hard as the Rox, but they still have great sub-bass and thump. Sound staging is slightly wider on the 1p2, but 3D imaging I still find the Rox better. The Rox I find, still has the uncanny ability to pick out even the most minute sounds, it resolves extremely well. Both the Rox and 1p2 have completely different sound signatures, the Rox are darker and immersive, the music really wraps around your head and the bass slams hard. The 1p2 are airy, laid back and gives the music a great sense of space. Perhaps, if I had listened to the 1p2 with uber cable, my opinions on the 1p2 may change, but for $1300, the cost is unjustifiable. 

In terms of size, the 1p2 are slightly smaller and lighter than the Rox. Despite being smaller, they do exhibit terrible microphonics with the silver/gold cable. Its pretty stiff, which translates to hearing almost every knock and movement of the cable - not a very good choice while walking about, I might consider an after market cable just to reduce microphonics. The Rox while much larger, has very little microphonics since the cable is much softer and rather flexible. 

Has anyone ran the 1p2 on balanced audio? How much do they benefit from it? Thanks!

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #5,590 of 6,404
Bootsy1 is back and I got some fire fo yo ass lol, so gather round. Maybe most of you are familiar with Wagnus, but if you're not, Wagnus makes premium quality cables and an amp called the Epsilon S which is widely regarded as the best sounding portable amp in the universe. Well, Wagnus(Haru) was kind enough to make this custom cable for me (and name it after yours truly,sweet :D),it's called Wagnus Progress Bootsy1. I told him I was hoping for a cable with a bigger sound stage, superior detailing, crystal clear highs, and solid bass. All can say is he exceeded all my hopes and expectations, he truly knocked it out the park with this cable. Using this cable reminded why the 1+2 is so amazing.

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #5,591 of 6,404
Bootsy1 is back and I got some fire fo yo ass lol, so gather round. Maybe most of you are familiar with Wagnus, but if you're not, Wagnus makes premium quality cables and an amp called the Epsilon S which is widely regarded as the best sounding portable amp in the universe. Well, Wagnus(Haru) was kind enough to make this custom cable for me (and name it after yours truly,sweet
biggrin.gif
),it's called Wagnus Progress Bootsy1. I told him I was hoping for a cable with a bigger sound stage, superior detailing, crystal clear highs, and solid bass. All can say is he exceeded all my hopes and expectations, he truly knocked it out the park with this cable. Using this cable reminded why the 1+2 is so amazing.

Indeed it is! :)

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #5,592 of 6,404
Bootsy1 is back and I got some fire fo yo ass lol, so gather round. Maybe most of you are familiar with Wagnus, but if you're not, Wagnus makes premium quality cables and an amp called the Epsilon S which is widely regarded as the best sounding portable amp in the universe. Well, Wagnus(Haru) was kind enough to make this custom cable for me (and name it after yours truly,sweet :D),it's called Wagnus Progress Bootsy1. I told him I was hoping for a cable with a bigger sound stage, superior detailing, crystal clear highs, and solid bass. All can say is he exceeded all my hopes and expectations, he truly knocked it out the park with this cable. Using this cable reminded why the 1+2 is so amazing.
So how much did you pay for that custom cable then?it looks thick,i wonder if its comfortable to use outside.

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #5,594 of 6,404
  My 1p2's are paired with the HM-901 (balanced amp card), i've spent a little bit more time listening to them. I found that the comply foam tips + wax guard helps a lot with the sibilance so i'll be sticking with them for now. I guess it also comes down to how the music was mastered, if it was badly mastered and already exhibits sibilance then the 1p2 will just accentuate it even further. 

So compared to my Roxannes, they definitely sound less claustrophobic and the mids are more laid back. Bass doesn't hit as hard as the Rox, but they still have great sub-bass and thump. Sound staging is slightly wider on the 1p2, but 3D imaging I still find the Rox better. The Rox I find, still has the uncanny ability to pick out even the most minute sounds, it resolves extremely well. Both the Rox and 1p2 have completely different sound signatures, the Rox are darker and immersive, the music really wraps around your head and the bass slams hard. The 1p2 are airy, laid back and gives the music a great sense of space. Perhaps, if I had listened to the 1p2 with uber cable, my opinions on the 1p2 may change, but for $1300, the cost is unjustifiable. 

In terms of size, the 1p2 are slightly smaller and lighter than the Rox. Despite being smaller, they do exhibit terrible microphonics with the silver/gold cable. Its pretty stiff, which translates to hearing almost every knock and movement of the cable - not a very good choice while walking about, I might consider an after market cable just to reduce microphonics. The Rox while much larger, has very little microphonics since the cable is much softer and rather flexible. 

Has anyone ran the 1p2 on balanced audio? How much do they benefit from it? Thanks!

The 3d imaging on the roxannes are really sick. I was switching back and forth between the fox and the 846, no comparison.

Sep 13, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #5,595 of 6,404
So how much did you pay for that custom cable then?it looks thick,i wonder if its comfortable to use outside.

+1, how much is the fish?... errr cable :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back