Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM (Now With 'New' 1Plus2.2!) Impressions Thread
Aug 20, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #34 of 6,404
just talked to the sales rep, who in turn has had a chat with the maker. According to him (maker/) these iems will sound better with the universal option, and also the prices he has quoted to me seem a bit expensive, compared to say heir's universal options. YMMV

> More drivers does not always equate to better quality. If anything the introductory pricing is still significantly cheaper than it will cost at full retail once they are established ($1000.00+). YMWV.

still, twfk(?) + dynamic driver = not a lot of money :D (and sure RnD is expensive) ... It just feels like say, Tralucent and AKG are trying to charge massive amounts on audiophiles because of how good the end product sounds. and fair enough some might think it's worth it. I think I get 85% of the enjoyment out of custom universals with CI + twfk and UM 3-way xover that cost me $400 (aside from slightly brighter highs and sub-bass depth and amount (you'd be surprised how much you get out of some CI drivers with some xovers). Or some people might argue the same about 3ai or 4ai from heir (also <= $400)

I'm questioning how many they'd sell at over 1k, or how much they'd sell by pricing them at say $600 not 800 or 1000+, but that's obviously speculation and has no real value in debating (and sure there are a lot of customs over 800, and a lot under 800)

>I think a point of note that I would high light is that every 1plus2 hybrid is handmade as per order and not batch made. Reason that no charge are necessary if one wants customs as they are made the same way.

yes, quite like the UM ones and what heir used to quote before they somehow batch made several 4ai and 3ai (or they're just cutting competitors on selling at a loss).

>I think (your resale value will be higher than a custom and others can test out your unit).

+1. But I never got to test that theory with any of the 3 of my custom universals :D

anyway, the sort of discussion is maybe more about business strategy and skimming on brand names and perceptions (e.g. heir cutting on price as they're part of a larger company) than quality or cost.

speaking of quality and quality control and customer service - you never know who Tralucent are backed up by and whether they'll still be there tomorrow. (or whether their customer service when orders come in will be like UM now, or UM before and Heir now)

Aug 20, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #36 of 6,404
Who are we to say if this company is small or not? Heir started off not that long ago as well and I think these guys need to be given a chance to prove themselves. I'm not sure what drivers are being used but regardless, the sound is great and well worth its price IMO. The same speculation was going around on Hisounds players and its all moot. What matters to me is the end result. You can have the highest quality parts and a crappy implementation and you'll get crap for sound. Keep in mind you are not only paying for parts but also the cost of development and labor. With this level of product offerings I don't see this company going anywhere soon but up :). For what it's worth, I sold my W3000ANVs to fund these IEMs, I think that is saying a lot...

Aug 20, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #37 of 6,404
Hello guys,

Firstly thank you all for the interest and discussion of our products. I just wanted to quickly clarify all the questions and concerns that have popped up on the thread.

Regarding Tralucent Audio T1 Portable Amplifier:

- The official specifications on battery life are as follows:
     - 5 hours charge time
     - 80 hours playback time (at moderate volume)

- Yes we have stock of this amp ready to ship worldwide. Please contact us directly.

Regarding Tralucent Audio Hybrid 1plus2 Custom IEMs:

- The IEMs are fully custom made, individually hand crafted to order. They come in your choice of custom colour combinations and custom face face plates as per Lee730's original post.

- Since they are custom made, you can opt to send us your audiologist impressions for a fully custom fit, or choose to have them made as universals fit tips as per Lee730's units. The prices are the same for either option.

- Due to the different tuning and requirement of adding sound tubes to a custom fit option, we believe they sound the best as a universal fit and the creator of the IEMs has tuned the units for optimum sound quality as universal fit IEMs.

- Yes the Hybrid 1plus2's use a TWFK

- Please contact us directly for prices and options

All products are available now for purchase either through myself via Tralucent Audio Australia: sales@tralucentaudio.com.au or the main enquiries email which is tralucentaudio@gmail.com

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information until our website is operational around the end August. Again thank you for your interest in our products.

Cheers,
Chong

Aug 20, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #38 of 6,404
Thanks for the clarification Lillee. I think I'm gonna stick with my unit then. I would not want the sound quality to decrease with a custom fit.... Plus I am extremely satisfied with the sound as is :).

Also could you elaborate on the exact cost for both the Portable Amp and the Custom IEMs? Will there be an introductory price range and a full retail?

Thanks.

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #39 of 6,404
Hello guys,

- Due to the different tuning and requirement of adding sound tubes to a custom fit option, we believe they sound the best as a universal fit and the creator of the IEMs has tuned the units for optimum sound quality as universal fit IEMs.

Are you're saying there - it's a pain to tune them with a different size chamber re dynamic driver inside :wink: (to be honest, I wonder if UM retune them for each order :|, or maybe partially fill the body with acrylic for a roughly the same shape, or something... or nothing :D )

- Yes the Hybrid 1plus2's use a TWFK

=) makes sense. Thanks. I was waiting for TWFK + dynamic hybrid at a reasonable price to come out :frowning2: . back to waiting :D

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #40 of 6,404
Hello,

Yes here are some details to answer your questions.

Firstly regarding custom fit versus universal fit issue. The picture below shows the customs with the TWFK located right at the tip of the IEM. This is our unique design that allows tuning without the hassle of sound tubing which will be required in the custom fit version to some degree. Behind the TWFK series is the large dynamic driver.

This next picture illustrates the large cavity used for tuning of the dynamic driver. The entire blue section that you see in this picture is hollowed out and specially tuned for bass response. The cavity is vented at the back of the units at the very bottom of the custom face plates, but sound isolation is still maintained as the dynamic driver is placed right at the base of the tips and blocks all but the loudest of noises from travelling through to the earpiece.

Thanks again for the interest. Please contact us directly for more information.

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #41 of 6,404
Ok guys just wanted to add this below regarding the price ranges.

"The introductory price is $880 with SPC cable, $980 6N OCC silver cable and $1080 with a 6N OCC silver/gold cable. Face-plates of Carbon Fibre, Wood and Aluminium are included in the price
[size=12.727272033691406px]  [/size]
[size=12.727272033691406px] If you have cables already then just the Earpiece is $780. [/size]
[size=12.727272033691406px] The amp is $249...we may do an introduction at $229...need to confirm.[/size]
[size=12.727272033691406px] For the IEM probably add $150 to the price when they are at full retail...but need to confirm also."[/size]

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #42 of 6,404
>The cavity is vented at the back of the units at the very bottom of the custom face plates, but sound isolation is still maintained as the dynamic driver is placed right at the base of the tips and blocks all but the loudest of noises from travelling through to the earpiece.

thanks for that - I assumed it wasn't vented but was clearly wrong. As you've highlighted before - clever design there.

>Firstly regarding custom fit versus universal fit issue. The picture below shows the customs with the TWFK located right at the tip of the IEM. This is our unique design that allows tuning without the hassle of sound tubing which will be required in the custom fit version to some degree

I actually asked about your customs not universal, but to clarify, you will use tubes and retune each custom depending on space volume and shape, or you will use tubes and errr do nothing about the varying cavity size D ?

>=) makes sense. Thanks. I was waiting for TWFK + dynamic hybrid at a reasonable price to come out . back to waiting

This and the next year is supposed to be a year of hybrid IEMs, but kudos for Tralucent on being the first to get to the TWFK + Dynamic that sounds good.

let me clarify that and be more specific - Audiofly managed to do a BA + Dynamic for $200 (AF78) (and it was horrible sound and ergonomics/usability wise). Surely someone will manage to do TWFK + Dynamic with removable cables for $500-600 (and get a decent profit from it all :D ) (or you can get a used merlin for $400-500 and reshell it for $200, or get a CI + twfk in a 2 way or 3 way x-over, and get 85% of the fun for about $400).

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #43 of 6,404
Quote:
Surely someone will manage to do TWFK + Dynamic with removable cables for $500-600 (and get a decent profit from it all
biggrin.gif
) (or you can get a used merlin for $400-500 and reshell it for $200, or get a CI + twfk and get 85% of the fun for about $400)

I think the point is you are paying for a premium product. As you go up the chain prices also go up. There is obviously something about those dynamic drivers they are using and I wouldn't be surprised if that has added to the cost. I do understand your reasoning though. But comparing them to the AKGs they are around $500 cheaper
tongue.gif

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #44 of 6,404
I think the point is you are paying for a premium product. As you go up the chain prices also go up. I do understand your reasoning though. But comparing them to the AKGs they are around $500 cheaper :p.

as I've pointed out above - AKG can go jump with the K3003 :wink: (bass heavy K1000 <3 though)

I guess YMMV - can get 1+2 now and not wait for maybe other TWFK + Dynamics, or opt for CI + TWFK combos. etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back