Trade for the Perfect player in the world ---Hisound’s Studio 3rd Anniversary edition
Sep 25, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #346 of 795
It's official, as of today at 10:47 AM eastern time my new Rocoo player entered The Great White North via Montreal, the province of crazy hockey fans and smoking hot French women. I'm impressed, the player was officially mailed Thursday and it's already in my country and should be in my hands in at most another 2 to 3 days. I best stop procrastinating and start picking out my music for FLAC encoding. Fortunately I've already received my impedance adapters which will be used to punch Hisszilla in the face if he decides to throw a hissy fit. I really wish the V-MODA M-100's I ordered a few weeks ago were on their way. I bought this Rocoo player in an attempt to pair it off with the M-100.

Pardon me for sounding like a broken record lee but could you please throw up a list and maybe even links to all the software you use for encoding and tagging purposes. I usually use dBpoweramp music converter for my encoding and tag with iTunes. I'm thinking dbpoweramp should suffice as far as encoding is concerned but I'm going to need a proper program for stripping unwanted junk from my tags and batch tagging.

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #347 of 795
Quote:
It's official, as of today at 10:47 AM eastern time my new Rocoo player entered The Great White North via Montreal, the province of crazy hockey fans and smoking hot French women. I'm impressed, the player was officially mailed Thursday and it's already in my country and should be in my hands in at most another 2 to 3 days. I best stop procrastinating and start picking out my music for FLAC encoding. Fortunately I've already received my impedance adapters which will be used to punch Hisszilla in the face if he decides to throw a hissy fit. I really wish the V-MODA M-100's I ordered a few weeks ago were on their way. I bought this Rocoo player in an attempt to pair it off with the M-100.

Pardon me for sounding like a broken record lee but could you please throw up a list and maybe even links to all the software you use for encoding and tagging purposes. I usually use dBpoweramp music converter for my encoding and tag with iTunes. I'm thinking dbpoweramp should suffice as far as encoding is concerned but I'm going to need a proper program for stripping unwanted junk from my tags and batch tagging.

I use Exact Audio Copy for ripping CDs and properly verifying their integrity. I also have it set up to do auto conversion from WAV to flac using Flac Frontend. I use mp3tag to tag and edit/remove unnecessary information in those tags. And you player is a Studio V not a Rocoo :wink:. You have the flagship model.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html

http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

http://exactaudiocopy.de/

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #348 of 795
Quote:

I use Exact Audio Copy for ripping CDs and properly verifying their integrity. I also have it set up to do auto conversion from WAV to flac using Flac Frontend. I use mp3tag to tag and edit/remove unnecessary information in those tags. And you player is a Studio V not a Rocoo :wink:. You have the flagship model.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html

http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

http://exactaudiocopy.de/

Whoops sorry, for what ever reason I keep calling it a Rocoo. I can't seem to get that name out of my head when I think about the HiSound music players. Alright, I've gotten the ball rolling and I've ripped 20 some odd albums into FLAC at 16 bit/44.1khz which should not be a problem for this player. I also have one CD folder ripped at 24 bit/96 khz which I'm thinking probably won't work on this player. I decided to use that one high bit folder to test what the player would do. I also decided to copy and past one ALAC CD to also test what the player would do. Who knows maybe I'll be happily surprised.

Thanks for the links. I'm going to try out the tagging software tomorrow. When I re encoded my files to FLAC it encoded the new file with all the old tags from iTunes as well as album art. I'm going to have to completely strip all the file tags off and re tag everything from scratch. Sounds like a fun time.

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #349 of 795
Quote:
Whoops sorry, for what ever reason I keep calling it a Rocoo. I can't seem to get that name out of my head when I think about the HiSound music players. Alright, I've gotten the ball rolling and I've ripped 20 some odd albums into FLAC at 16 bit/44.1khz which should not be a problem for this player. I also have one CD folder ripped at 24 bit/96 khz which I'm thinking probably won't work on this player. I decided to use that one high bit folder to test what the player would do. I also decided to copy and past one ALAC CD to also test what the player would do. Who knows maybe I'll be happily surprised.

Thanks for the links. I'm going to try out the tagging software tomorrow. When I re encoded my files to FLAC it encoded the new file with all the old tags from iTunes as well as album art. I'm going to have to completely strip all the file tags off and re tag everything from scratch. Sounds like a fun time.

I'm not really sure regarding this. If it kept the names intact that would make it easier. But I don't use ALAC so I don't know. I know WAV doesn't retain tags but not so sure on ALAC. But once you get the hang of mp3tag its actually quite easy to use and you can use it to easily tag your music. To make those 24/96 files play I recommend you make and extra copy of the ones you want on the Studio V and then down-sample those to 24/48 and they will work.

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #350 of 795
DBpoweramp can rip with correct tagging without further manipulation. Options/Meta Data and ID tag/ options/ then scroll down towards the bottom and check 'track number without track count' and 'pad track number to 2 digits (ie, 02)'. When dragged to my HiSound the tracks fall in track # order on the play menu.

Sep 25, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #351 of 795
Quote:
DBpoweramp can rip with correct tagging without further manipulation. Options/Meta Data and ID tag/ options/ then scroll down towards the bottom and check 'track number without track count' and 'pad track number to 2 digits (ie, 02)'. When dragged to my HiSound the tracks fall in track # order on the play menu.

I'm sure it can but I don't have the full version of dBpoweramp so I can only rip and encode with it.

In any case I think I'm ready to go once this player gets here. I've already encoded 21 gigs of files using dBpoweramp and threw it all into a folder named FLAC library for safe keeping on my laptop. When I re encoded from ALAC I chose lossless uncompressed. After I finished re encoding everything I loaded my files one folder at a time into mp3tag and stripped away all the old tags. The only tags I left were song title album title and artist name. I also went in and re tagged all the track numbers to read as 01, 02, 03, etc using mp3tag. I then double checked to make sure all my tag stripping and re tagging was successful by clicking on the files and choosing properties and then hitting the audio properties window tab and checking the tags on there. All unwanted tagging as well as album art is showing up as removed so I'm guessing my re tagging was successful. By the way, when I checked in the audio properties tab I also noticed a section indicating "Contains: CRC, ID Tag [Vorbis Comments]". I'm guessing that's just the type of tags on the files and hopefully it shouldn't be an issue for the new Studio V.

Final step, I quickly ran out and got a new 32 GB Micro SDcard Class10 from my local electronics box store. I got home and just to be on the safe side I fired up guiformat and did a quick reformat with the fat32 setting. I know I didn't have to do this step but I figured better safe then sorry and I wanted to see if there would be any issues running the software guiformat on my computer. The reformat went like clockwork and I then selected all my folders and dragged them onto my new micro SDcard. I have my folders ordered by artist name with the corresponding complete CD(s) of said artist placed inside the artist folder. Each separate CD is in it's own folder which is then named by album name. I figure this type of ordering would be the quickest and best way for navigating through the player. The file transfer to the SDCard was completed without a hitch although I was a little surprised at the length of time it took to transfer 21 GB's of data to the card, it took roughly between 20 to 30 minutes. After the file transfer was completed, again to be on the safe side, I began clicking around on various files in the SDCard and playing them using VLC music player. All the files seemed to play fine with no issues observed. By the way, these new FLAC files sound awesome on the V-MODA M-80 when played with VLC Media Player and the sound quality was quite a pleasant surprise. Overall, I'm rather surprised my first 30 some albums were re encoded and re tagged so quickly. I expected it to be a pain in the arse and time consuming but it went by rather quickly and smoothly using dBpoweramp and mp3tag. I have my micro SDCard stored away in a plastic SD card carry case lying beside my impedance adapters waiting for the player to arrive.

@lee730
Thanks for the tips concerning what software to use and the link for the impedance adapters. It made getting my files ready a rather smooth process. Once I've given this player some head time I can get around to the rest of my 150 or so GB of music files
rolleyes.gif

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #352 of 795
That's great but I found no advantage to lossless uncompressed and it takes up the same space as a wav file. I tend to use FLAC 0 just to keep the job easy so I get it but when listening, I found no sonic advantage to uncompressed flac where I do hear it with a wav file even though all three are bit correct. I think Lee finds the same in wav vs FLAC. I tend to use flac here because it's a portable, the tags travel well and the extra space is usefull etc. Get the full version of DB it's like $30 with meta access, useful and freindly.
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #353 of 795
Yep same here. If WAV had tags itself plus if there were higher capacity micro SD cards available I'd already be using strictly WAV. I've found using high compression FLAC files causes more problems than good and will lead to faster battery drain. I've had compatibility issues before where the song would take forever to load or would glitch. By expanding back to  WAV and then re-encoding it at level 6 compression, fixed the issues.

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #354 of 795
Quote:
Yep same here. If WAV had tags itself plus if there were higher capacity micro SD cards available I'd already be using strictly WAV. I've found using high compression FLAC files causes more problems than good and will lead to faster battery drain. I've had compatibility issues before where the song would take forever to load or would glitch. By expanding back to  WAV and then re-encoding it at level 6 compression, fixed the issues.

So you're saying I should re encode everything at level 6 ?

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #355 of 795
Quote:
So you're saying I should re encode everything at level 6 ?

I'm saying you are risking more problems at 8. I had some issues with tracks where the encoding was too much, this even showed up on my DX100. Plus you may notice on a small percentage of tracks you will want to just expand them to WAV and leave them as is. I have a certain select amount of tracks on my DAP that will clip due to there being so much dynamics within the songs it seems. So when I expand them to WAV no problems at all.... This isn't a major problem but you may notice this on certain select tracks. Especially when lots of things are going on in the song and slamming-bass. Not sure if you have Armen Van Burren but you can test it out by listening to Unforgivable and Imagine. Also on some of Maroon 5s tracks and Celine Dions "Refuse to Dance" song.

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #356 of 795
Hmph, I'm going to keep them as is for now and see what happens. Worst comes to worse I'll just re encode later and experiment until I find a happy medium. Once I find the sweet spot I'll just re encode everything i have at those optimal settings. .

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #358 of 795
Quote:
Level 0 is least processor load and largest file (other than uncompressed) because it isn't differentiating as much between individual chunks. Difference in size to standard level 5 is minimal but it's easier/faster to decode and still saves space.

Hey goodvibes was it you I gave those certain tracks to test out on your unit a long time ago? If so and if you still have them can you try re-encode them at level 0 and see if they are still clipping? If that's the case I'll just do that and still save space :). But once 128 GB cards are available it's all WAV for me :wink:.

Sep 26, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #360 of 795
Do you have drop box? Provide me your info and I'll send you an invite. The issue is not when these files are in WAV form but in FLAC. Once blown up to WAV and then copied to the device they exhibit non of these issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back