Toxic Cables Silver Poison custom IEM cable - wanna borrow it?
Jul 22, 2012 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 197

project86

Headphoneus Supremus

UPDATE

I'm keeping this original post and all the info in it as an archive. But the program is over. Unfortunately a member  yjt93  accepted the cable and disappeared. Apparently he left the country from what we can tell. Currawong was helpful in trying to reach him but we haven't heard anything back. So that ruins the fun for everyone else. Sorry!

In a brilliant showing of what a class act he is, Frank at Toxic Cable has agreed to replace my missing Silver Poison with his new Silver Widow as soon as the next batch is available. What a guy! Everyone reading this can learn two lessons: 1) don't be overly trusting around here, and 2) Toxic Cables is an excellent company to deal with, who truly stands behind their customers. 

END UPDATE

[size=small]By now there has been quite a bit of discussion about Toxic Cables. As a relative newcomer to the cable biz, Frank (Toxic Cables owner) has made a pretty big splash around here. We've seen multiple examples of his work, including Sennheiser, HiFiMAN, and Audeze cables, in various materials including silver, SPC, copper, and other combinations. We've also seen the beautiful restore/recable job he did on an aging set of Sony R10s. [/size]

[size=small]

[/size]

[size=small]
I've been using the balanced Toxic Cables Hybrid with my HiFiMAN HE-400 for a while, and it's a great cable. It looks and feels like something that would cost far more than it does. So when Frank told me he had a new IEM cable in the works, I was excited to check it out.
[/size]

[size=small]

[/size]

[size=small]
The cable I have is called the SPC Viper. SPC obviously stands for silver-plated copper. I could go on and on about the construction of the cable but I feel like pictures do a much better job conveying the level of quality. It's made from 24AWG stranded silver plated OCC copper. The price, at the current exchange rate, comes to ~$180 plus a bit for shipping (Toxic Cables is based in the UK). The cable will also be available in a slightly smaller 26AWG, which will come in translucent black or blue as well as the clear like my cable. Mine has black connectors but the production version will use clear connectors (unless you order the black cable, which will still use the black connectors).
[/size]

[size=small]

[/size]

[size=small]

[/size]

[size=small]

[/size]

[size=small]

[/size]

[size=small]
I've been using the Viper for a while with my Heir Audio customs, my UM Merlin, my Westone AC2, and others. It's a great fit for every socket type - flush or recessed. There is no memory wire, but the cable comes sort of "pre-shaped" into an angle that comfortably wraps around your ears. Looking at the cable, it doesn't necessarily appear like it would be all that comfortable. In fact it looks rather stiff, thick, and inflexible. But in reality that is not the case. It bends surprisingly well, and really isn't any less comfortable to use than the stock cable. 
[/size]

[size=small]

[/size]

[size=small]
I suspect that the reader already has an established opinion about cables and their audible properties, so I won't try to change your mind one way or the other. All I will say is that it IS in fact possible to enjoy a cable purely for aesthetic reasons. You don't have to be completely on board with the idea of cables sounding amazing, to be able to enjoy the look, feel, fit, and durability of an aftermarket cable.
[/size]

[size=small]

[/size]

[size=small]
But what if you haven't quite made up your mind on the topic? Maybe you just haven't had a chance to try an aftermarket cable to see what you think. That's where I come in. I'd like to offer the Toxic Cables SPC Viper IEM cable to anyone who is interested in giving it a try. Keep it for a week or so, see what you think, and then send it on to the next person. The only thing I ask is that you document your experience in this thread. I don't care if you say the cable is amazing, or terrible, or something in between - just post your honest opinion. I welcome any members with good feedback to participate, and I hope to get a good cross section of folks who have other competing cables as well as people who have never tried an aftermarket cable. Obviously you need to have a set of custom IEMs in order to use this cable - it terminates in the standard Westone style and should work with customs from JH Audio, Unique Melody, Heir Audio, Westone, 1964 Ears, and most others. The few exceptions should be obvious - the newer Ultimate Ears has a different type of connector (older models should work fine though). LiveWires and Sleek Audio customs have proprietary connectors but there aren't a lot of people using those. For the most part, if you've got customs with a detachable cable, and they aren't from UE in the last 2 years or so, this cable will work.
[/size]

[size=small]

[/size]

[size=small]
I don't have a lot of time, so please post in this thread if you are interested. It's easier to do it here instead of via PM. Once I approve you, you can send contact the person who has the cables at the moment and work out shipping details. Shipping is very reasonable on an item like this. Again, please no brand new users or people with no feedback and little participation. I want established members only since I'm loaning you a cable that isn't exactly cheap. 
[/size]

[size=small]

[/size]

[size=small]
Did I mention that the cable is already out on loan to the first participant: Poetik. I'll let him chime in with his thoughts and maybe some comparisons with another cable. He should be just about done, so please let me know if you would like to receive the cable for a week or so.
[/size]

[size=small]

[/size]

[size=small]
And now for some more eye candy.
[/size]

[size=small]

[/size]

[size=small]

The small Viablue termination compared to the large one

on a different cable

Nice deep fit into a recessed socket

[/size]

[size=small]

[/size]

[size=small]

[/size]

[size=small]
UPDATE - I've fixed the info about pricing as well as clarified the bit about plug color. 
[/size]

[size=small]

[/size]

[size=small]
UPDATE #2 - Here is a list as of 8/7 for the people in line:
[/size]

[size=small]

[/size]

[size=small]
Kenman345
[/size]

[size=small]
allyl
[/size]

[size=small]
SoupRKnowva
[/size]

[size=small]
batphink
[/size]

[size=small]
ardgedee
[/size]

[size=small]
Mosshorn
[/size]

[size=small]
ytj93
[/size]

[size=small]
alv4426
[/size]

[size=small]
HideousPride
[/size]

[size=small]
KimChee
[/size]

[size=small]

[/size]

[size=small]
UPDATE #3 - I think I'll stop taking new participants for a while. We have well over 2 months worth of people right now, so we should wait a while before adding new people to the list. 
[/size]

[size=small]

[/size]

[size=small]
UPDATE #4 - I'm calling the SPC Viper back after the next person is done with it. Instead, I'm getting the new Silver Poison model in the thinner 26AWG style. It will ship directly from Toxic to the next participant, so you guys will get to use it even before I do! 
[/size]

[size=small]

[/size]

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 197
Wheres the locations it's able to go? I would love to give the cable a try. I am in New York, USA I've been interested to hear how this cable sounds, especially with my CIEM's. Getting an LOD soon from cogsand gears made from the Silver wire Toxic Cable. 

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 197
I would love to try this cable since I am actually in the market for an aftermarket cable for my JH5 but alas I am untrustable since I have no feedback  
biggrin.gif
/
frown.gif
. This is a cool project though and Im looking forward to some more impressions... I seriously need to start selling my stuff on headfi instead of amazon.

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 197
Put me on the list, wouldn't mind trying this. 
biggrin.gif

Thanks for taking the time to do the write up, John. Really nice of you to loan the cable out for others to try, does me no harm, until everyone posts about how cr@p it is. 
biggrin.gif

All the cables now come with clear overmoulded connectors, it's only the translucent black cables, that come with black connectors now.

Looking forward to reading what others think of it.

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 197
If it isn't too much hassle, I certainly wouldn't mind being added to the mix. I haven't spent a tremendous amount of time with my 1964-Ts lately, and this would be a wonderful reason to do so! Hopefully this will, at the very least, be a good opportunity to see the build quality of Toxic Cables, as I am considering buying an aftermarket cable for either (both) my HD800s and HE400s!

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 197
Id love to hear it Project86. havent had an aftermarket cable since i sold my balanced TWag and protector back in 2010.

Edit: shoulda added that Ive got JH-13s. Maybe put me more towards the end in hopes of the 3rd batch of Anedio D2s making it in time for me to hear this cable with the new DAC :D

Jul 23, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #7 of 197
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You guys are all in. 

Quote:
I would love to try this cable since I am actually in the market for an aftermarket cable for my JH5 but alas I am untrustable since I have no feedback  
biggrin.gif
/
frown.gif
. This is a cool project though and Im looking forward to some more impressions... I seriously need to start selling my stuff on headfi instead of amazon.

Have feedback from eBay or Amazon that we can check out? You've been around here and participated in threads for a while so that's a good start. Also, the cable happens to be in Southern CA at the moment so that could be a quick trip in terms of shipping. Let me know in the next few days, before we send it halfway across the country.

Quote:
Put me on the list, wouldn't mind trying this. 
biggrin.gif

Thanks for taking the time to do the write up, John. Really nice of you to loan the cable out for others to try, does me no harm, until everyone posts about how cr@p it is. 
biggrin.gif

All the cables now come with clear overmoulded connectors, it's only the translucent black cables, that come with black connectors now.

Looking forward to reading what others think of it.

Thanks Frank. It's a great cable and I don't think you'll get a lot of people saying "this is garbage!". 

Jul 23, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #8 of 197
Quote:
You guys are all in. 

Who's getting it first? and shall I PM you my address? or is their a certain person I need to send my address to? I'm happy to pay for shipping to the next member borrowing the cable assuming they are in the US. I don't know how international shipping works entirely, but I hate finding out (used to work at a shipping company and realized really quickly that I never wanna ship something internationally ever, it's just a huge mess of idiots).

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #9 of 197
Let's give alv4426 a day or so to provide references, since he is very close to Poetik (who currently has the cable). If not, then we'll move on and it might as well go to kenman. On my past loaner program, the gear was heavy so it was important to plan ahead for close shipping. This cable should be $5 or less to ship anywhere in the USA so no big deal.

I figure each person can pay shipping when they send it to the next person. Again, it's really cheap. 

kenman, stand by and I'll let you know within a day or two.

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 197
Sounds good. I'm in no rush. If it's only going around the USA, we can use the flat rate small boxes. It'll be under $6 after taxes to send it to each other, so overall not a bad deal if you are interested in getting the cable in the first place. 

How long is the loaner thing going on? I think if the cable is properly burnt in already, a week or less should be fine. I have a feeling i'll notice the differences between my stock cable pretty instantly, as I have been developing an ear for this type of stuff with all the different types of stuff I have tried on my portable rig. I usually need an hour or less to figure out how the cable is effecting the sound once I have a different cable to test against. Should be interesting to hear this cable and finally see in person the cables I have heard so much about. 
Quote:
Let's give alv4426 a day or so to provide references, since he is very close to Poetik (who currently has the cable). If not, then we'll move on and it might as well go to kenman. On my past loaner program, the gear was heavy so it was important to plan ahead for close shipping. This cable should be $5 or less to ship anywhere in the USA so no big deal.

I figure each person can pay shipping when they send it to the next person. Again, it's really cheap. 

kenman, stand by and I'll let you know within a day or two.

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #11 of 197
Quote:
Sounds good. I'm in no rush. If it's only going around the USA, we can use the flat rate small boxes. It'll be under $6 after taxes to send it to each other, so overall not a bad deal if you are interested in getting the cable in the first place. 

How long is the loaner thing going on? I think if the cable is properly burnt in already, a week or less should be fine. I have a feeling i'll notice the differences between my stock cable pretty instantly, as I have been developing an ear for this type of stuff with all the different types of stuff I have tried on my portable rig. I usually need an hour or less to figure out how the cable is effecting the sound once I have a different cable to test against. Should be interesting to hear this cable and finally see in person the cables I have heard so much about. 

It will go on for as long as there is interested people who want to hear it. Or maybe a few months. I'm in no rush to have it back - not because I dislike it, but because I've got a lot of other gear constantly coming in and going out (usually for reviews). 

EDIT In case I forgot to mention, USA only. 

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #13 of 197
Quote:
I want to try this.  I use Etymotics with a Westone adapter and I'm wondering if the more expensive cables will make a difference.

Perfect! 

Still waiting on one person to provide some feedback. I guess the best way to proceed after that is to just work down the list in the order that people replied. So kenman, then allyl, then SoupRKnowva, then you. 

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #15 of 197
PM sent, can't wait to get my hands on it
Quote:
UPDATE: It's going to kenman345 first. Kenman, please PM Poetik and pass along your address info, and he can get the cable out to you soon. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back