TOUR CLOSED - US Head-Fi Tour: Empire Ears Wraith vs. Valkyrie TOTL CIEM Tour - Starting October 2019
Dec 3, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #61 of 122
tour kit received.

Dec 16, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #63 of 122
Tour kit received, ran into the fedex guy and he had it. I had originally scheduled a "hold at location" the local walgreens) since I missed him twice already due to work and being gone to a wedding. However today I ran into him, he had the kit. Listening underway. Can anyone tell me anything about the signature of the included cable? My initial impression was that the sound is muffled but that seems to have given way. I'm coming from A18t, which is the best IEM I have ever heard. What are you guys thoughts on tips, I'm using the mandarins right now but have an assortment of foam and other tips laying around. What are some of you guys favorite pairings?

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #64 of 122
initial impressions:

Yes the Estats have more detail and better "caging of sounds" by that I mean that each sound is inside it's own neatly confined little space around its' initial point of origin in the soundstage, it doesn't bleed into other sounds. I would describe the overall estat effect in these two IEMs as a "cleaning up" of the sound. The wraith is an aboslute detail monster, especially in the midrange and specifically vocals. The valkyrie scratches my bass itch and I actually prefer it right now over wraith. I am impressed at the technicality of Wraith but would go for the Valkyrie if my money were on the table. Wraith is the more 3D of the two with better layering and separation but at the expense of a more visceral musical/bassy sound I'm enjoying on valkyrie. If you're someone who puts technicality and audiophile-ishness over everything else I could see you going for Wraith but IMO the Valkyrie is also producting top shelf level resolution but also with a sound signature that would be more appealing to most people IMO. Impressions subject to change, this is my thought's after spending about an hour with each one.

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #65 of 122
From Jason: I live in Houston, TX and would like to participate in the tour. I agree to follow the terms of the tour. I have been approved.
Added

Dec 31, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #66 of 122
Package inbound to rantng in brooklyn to verified address and signature required. Formal review of wraith almost done(80%), review of Valkyrie at about 50%. Both will be posted within a week or less of today's date and members should be able to get some value out of them.

Jan 4, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #67 of 122
Kit received. Everything looks to be in order. Missing one size SS ear tip in the spare tip package, but I suspect most will be using their own tips anyway, plus there are the two complete sets within each IEM package. Gave each a preliminary listen and all seems good. I actually acquired my own Valkyrie recently so most of my time will be spent with Wraith. My own Valkyrie set exhibits quite a bit of driver flex in both sides; the tour Valk exhibits slightly less flex. This seems to be somewhat common with the W9 driver. My Legend X has some flex on one side, my Bravado had some flex as well. To date I have not heard a W9 equipped IEM without some flex. EE has stated it doesn't/shouldn't damage the driver though and I've experienced driver flex with other manufacturers' dynamic driver equipped IEMs as well. I attribute this partly to normal function/properties of the dynamic driver and partly to my somewhat small ear canals.

No impressions yet other than the Wraith is surprisingly easy to drive with barely any hiss (only noticeable because I was listening for it) out of M11, slight hiss out of Sony ZX2, no hiss on R6.

Jan 10, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #68 of 122
Really enjoying the Wraith. It obviously doesn't have the addicting sub-bass rumble of Legend X or even Valkyrie, but bass has good resolution and reaches deep, more so than Zeus, which can at times come off as somewhat bass-light. I find it to be the most balanced of EE's offerings with great coherence across the frequency range. Technicality is elevated above Zeus while still maintaining a natural tonality. I sometimes find Zeus sounds "too technical"; Wraith is more engaging. It also casts the widest stage of EE's lineup without sacrificing instrument placement & separation. It really is an evolution of Zeus.

Jan 11, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #70 of 122
Have there been any Wraith reviews posted on head-fi yet?

Tour priority went to the reviewers. I’m sure we’ll see their reviews soon enough. Reviews actually do require a lot of time and patience, which is why I’ve limited myself to mostly posting impressions. Sitting down A-B-ing & critically listening can be wearing; sometimes you just wanna enjoy the music. Major props to all the reviewers out there. Just give them some time.

Jan 13, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #71 of 122
Tour priority went to the reviewers. I’m sure we’ll see their reviews soon enough. Reviews actually do require a lot of time and patience, which is why I’ve limited myself to mostly posting impressions. Sitting down A-B-ing & critically listening can be wearing; sometimes you just wanna enjoy the music. Major props to all the reviewers out there. Just give them some time.

I was the first one to receive them and I'm working on my review to publish soon. Like @rantng said, even though my reviews are usually only a page or two long, I take my time to word things in a way that really conveys what I've heard, my opinion and recommendations. I don't light heartedly publish a review. I could just slap some catch phrases etc. on to them but then the reader wouldn't know what I'm really trying to convey, they would just get caught up in the catch phrases/hype etc.

Plus I'm doing reviews on 4 different IEM's and a desktop amp, takes time to get these things written along with my day job.

Jan 13, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #72 of 122
Thanks for the feedback!! I understand that it takes time for a quality review. I'm not in a rush. Mostly, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed any posted reviews. Guessing that there will be announcements in this thread or the main EE thread...

Jan 25, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #75 of 122
Hi, tour kit is getting ready to go on to DoctorJazz. Contacted him plus following person on the list.
Thanks so much for including me on the list.

Very brief impressions:
Wraith is a killer. Big sound, great dynamics, excellent timber, and generally TOTL sound. To me this sounds the best of the Empire Ears line-up, and I've heard all the top iem's they have to offer. More balanced than the Legend X and with more controlled bottom end. For what ever reason, the Wraith kind of reminded me of the Campfire Audio Solaris, yet with better resolution. A great big sound-stage, great clarity and resolution, deep bass that doesn't bleed, excellent mids that are perfect for male and female vocals, non-tiring treble that is spot on with great details, what more can one ask for?

I also liked the Valkyrie which I already own but I do admit that the mids are a tad recessed, easily fixed with some eq'ing. Still the Valkyrie's are clarity kings with excellent treble and a great listen, certainly not a boring earphone. Glad I bought them, but I do have to say they are probably the opposite of the Legend X and the Phantoms, both of which have richer and thicker lower ends. Owning these, and the phantoms would actually be a good combination to own as they would cover any of your listening preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back