TOTL Revelations
Jun 22, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #16 of 24
Oh man, maybe this thread was a bad idea. So many great headphones that I hadn't really thought about. Now I need to try a Diana, a CA-1a, and somehow track down a L3000.

The Raals do seem to be getting lots of positive attention, even though they look uncomfortable as heck. Not too expensive too. I guess I'm a sucker for an enthusiastic opinion.
Somehow for me if I’m paying over $1000, I want the whole package. It has to not only sound good, but look great and be comfortable. I’d have a hard to explaining to anyone (including myself) I paid $2500 for the Raal CA-1A. But I do understand the philosophy of sound trumps everything else and people are raving about the sound. If it can look that ugly and people still love it, that’s got to mean something. I’ll happily stick with my Caldera.

Oh, don’t forget to hunt down a Sony R10 while you’re at it. I never spent any time with it but is a favorite among many of the old timers.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #17 of 24
You not taking about the one in San Jose? Head-fi fest or whatever it was called? That’s my first and where I got hear the L3000, Sony R10, and a few others. I already had my PS-1 at the time.

No, it was in NY. I also heard the R10, Qualia 010, HD650 off balanced Headroom amps, and a bunch of other stuff, but the Orpheus was definitely the standout. A close your eyes and you're there moment for sure.

I got pretty close to it several years later with my own early serial SR-007 and first gen Blue Hawaii system - it was even better in some respects - but the Orpheus kinda set what I've always wanted out of a headphone: an electrostatic HD650. Which, on today's market, I'm pretty sure doesn't exist. Maybe the DCA Corina gets close, the measurements suggest it, but I haven't heard it.

But, if you know how to work an EQ, you can get some other headphones reasonably close.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #18 of 24
No, it was in NY. I also heard the R10, Qualia 010, HD650 off balanced Headroom amps, and a bunch of other stuff, but the Orpheus was definitely the standout. A close your eyes and you're there moment for sure.

I got pretty close to it several years later with my own early serial SR-007 and first gen Blue Hawaii system - it was even better in some respects - but the Orpheus kinda set what I've always wanted out of a headphone: an electrostatic HD650. Which, on today's market, I'm pretty sure doesn't exist. Maybe the DCA Corina gets close, the measurements suggest it, but I haven't heard it.

But, if you know how to work an EQ, you can get some other headphones reasonably close.
I forgot about the Orpheus. I’ve only heard it twice but first time with Dark Side of the Moon at mini meet in SF and then about 10 year ago at SoCal CanJam playing Peter Gabriel - So. As much as I like Pink Floyd, how many times can you hear that album. So wasn’t the best showing. And I found I enjoyed So better with my L3000. But don’t think either of these albums were best ones to try.

I also tried the Qualia at head-fi meet in San Jose in 2005 and wasn’t impressed. Too bright for me. Same meet I heard Sony R10 and the L3000 for first time. Wish I spent more time with R10 just to get a better feel for it but was playing classical at the time. At today’s meets, mostly sourced with streaming services or large selection of music, so easier to test with music you know.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #19 of 24
Any thoughts on the Diana V2 versus your Caldera and Elite?

Diana V2 is still a nice headphone actually. The "easiest" to enjoy from any Abyss Headphones. Diana would be a little closer to Caldera's character than Elite. Diana V2 become the most intimate and narrowest in term of soundstage with the leanest in bass area too (not thin sounding, but Caldera and Elite simply offer more punch).

Diana V2 is a little bit mid-centric in comparison with the other 2 headphones, still Diana V2 impress me with fluid transient and smooth upper mid/treble. However, in overall technicalities like micro detail, separation, and imaging structure, Diana V2 is a bit below from these 2 headphones.

When I owned Diana V2, I did upgrade to Diana Phi, that produce cleaner and more transparent sound, wider soundstage, and overall more pleasing for me. When Diana TC released, I thought would be an auto upgrade for me, but apparently Diana TC was too intense sounding for me.

Jun 23, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #20 of 24
The Raals do seem to be getting lots of positive attention, even though they look uncomfortable as heck. Not too expensive too.
Not sure if you meant the CA-1a or SR-1b, but, as strange as it sounds, my SR-1a is the most comfortable headphone I own. A touch heavy, but the non-circumaural design with just a panel with the driver resting in front of the ear, is supremely comfortable, at least for me. I did put a ZMF Co-Pilot pad on it.

Jun 23, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #21 of 24
Not sure if you meant the CA-1a or SR-1b, but, as strange as it sounds, my SR-1a is the most comfortable headphone I own. A touch heavy, but the non-circumaural design with just a panel with the driver resting in front of the ear, is supremely comfortable, at least for me. I did put a ZMF Co-Pilot pad on it.
As is the case with CA1a. Both Raal headphones are the most comfortable headphones I’ve ever had.

Jun 25, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #22 of 24
For me listening to the Chord TT2 and Dave was huge eye-opener. There was a lot of skepticism regarding the benefits of FPGA DACs over their chip-based counterparts especially given their higher price tag.

I plugged in my LCD-4z into the Chord units, and I was shocked by the improvement in resolution, dynamics and imaging that was gained, which really motivated me to upgrade the DAC at that time to an FPGA-based unit.

Jul 4, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #23 of 24
With all my totl headphones, I always find myself reaching for my heavy, cumbersome, tank built heddphone. The clarity and detail of these are amazing. Yes, I have Hp that beat the Heddphones in both those departments, but my mind wants to hear what the heddphones will do with the song. It punches way above its price range. Best priced Hp for its capabilities. Even if you buy new, your getting a huge bang for your buck.

Biggest revelation was not having to spend 4k to get 4k sound.

Jul 8, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #24 of 24
The two true revelations were:
a) the bass and overall dynamics of the 1266 which i never would have believed to exist in a headphone, it sounds like a real subwoofer.
b) the treble of the EA Annihilator, completely both superbright and super enjoyable without any peaks or harshness, just pure bliss and a monstrous amount of details.
The Susvara was more an "over time" revelation that i learned to appreciate more and more as i upgraded the chain / spent more time with it.
Recently i enjoy the VO a lot, it's super laid-back and doesn't care about genre or volume or anything, it just is pure enjoyment without sacrificing any detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back