TOTL IEM for Modern Pop music
Aug 19, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #16 of 21
Budget? Prefer it being $1500 used or new.
Source: Currently i have a Shanling m8 and planning to buy a qudelix 5k or a Shanling UP5.
I would go with the mest 2

Aug 19, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #18 of 21
I actually own the Variations at the moment and out of all the iem's i have tried, this one has satisfied me the most. I have the Mest mkii, but preferred the Variations. I found the Mest too boring for pop in comparison to the Variations. The only imperfection i see on the Variations is on some tracks, the male vocals can sound a bit thin.
You're looking more a more musical in ear headphone, but without sacrificing a significant amount of technicalities - something that would want you to re-discover your entire playlist. Something very Engaging in the mids, keeps you in trance and immersed in your music, but excellent in the Bass as musical foundation, and very good treble extension, but controlled. Able to control treble peaks on not so very good modern album recordings, including re-masters.
A fairly large sound field should also be desirable

Male vocal tracks:

I spun this very same album for a Tesla event recently, it likes to be played loud. Ethereal, Fluid vocals, this is a very good production...
IMG_20210731_121712.jpg

Other test tracks:

Energy, purcussion, voices
1629385329395.png

adsr/prat

sibilance, vocal qualities, synth, Bass

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #19 of 21
Any recommendations for a TOTL iem for modern pop music/Latin? I listen to what usually plays on the radio these days, like Ariana Grande, Dua Lipa, Ed Sheeran, Bad Bunny. If no recommendation, what sound signature should I be looking for?
I listen a lot of modern Pop music with the artists you list included in my playlists. The IEM you pick depends completely on what you prioritize in the FR. For this genre, I want thumping bass as these recordings tend to have a lot of it. In this regard, I find the MEST OG lacking in bass. I prefer the MEST for classical music and Jazz given its great sound stage and imaging. For Modern Pop, I would pick the IER-Z1R or the Thieaudio Monarch or Clairvoyance depending on if you want sub bass or mid bass focus. The Z1R has more of a v-shaped signature. The Thieaudio twins have a more neutral sound with boosted bass. If you are really treble sensitive, than a used Legend X might do it for you.

Aug 19, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #20 of 21
Budget? Prefer it being $1500 used or new.
Source: Currently i have a Shanling m8 and planning to buy a qudelix 5k or a Shanling UP5.
Then I would go IER-Z1R or Legend X (used).

Here is what I am listening to right now.

Sony IER-ZIR, ADV Custom Ear tips, iBasso DX300 with AMP12 and Cayin C9 in class A tube mode. Perfect for Modern Pop Music.

Attachments

• z1r dx312 c9.jpg
    z1r dx312 c9.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Aug 19, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #21 of 21
Pepas by Farruko
In da Getto by J Balvin
Say it right by Nelly Furtado
Halo by Beyonce
Girls like you by Maroon 5

Pepas by Farruko - I like this track, very festive! the voices are NOT Thin. Ramped up Bass is very good. Brass, synth, vocals and 3d effects are excellent, loads of excellent percussion

In da Getto by J Balvin - same as above. Multiple Voices are very clear here, one can lip sync with ease. Bass can be felt, excellent rumble more on quality rather than quantity. Sounds like another floor filler...

Say it right by Nelly Furtado - very nice percussion, excellent separation and coherence

Halo by Beyonce - Her voice is the centre piece here. Weaving with the multiple voices, never lost with the rhythm, working very well with the rest of the ensemble

Girls like you by Maroon 5 - fretwork is well defined, Adam's voice is crystal clear, bodied. Cardi's rap was euqlly treated with excellent definition - In perfect sync with the lively synth, art.bass

I added
Moves Like Jagger - Excellent funky fretwork work, voices, instruments are equally scaled. Bass is very defined as well as the synth, percussion. Christina's voice is very fluid here. Floor filler...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back