TOTL disappointments
Feb 12, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #16 of 970
Diana V2 is a disappointment, at least for the money. I still like it, but it is not very good for the money.
It does some things very well like clarity and bass detail, but lacks bass and has a thin tonal balance. It isn't easy to drive headphone, and the bass does improve from terrible to ok with a MHA150 or some really good amplification. I was disappointed with even the Hugo TT2 with the Diana V2. The ceramic paint is not at all durable compared to anodizing too, this is a fail.
The proprietary cable plugs means I can't use my Nordost 2.5 cable.
Empyrean is a better headphone in my opinion.

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #17 of 970
I read this thread and it scares me.
I want a light bass yet resolution, detail, imagining and layering to be super awesome.

I don't want a harsh treble range but I guess I can eq... I'd hate to but only if I get maximum detail and imaging, I don't care much about a super wide Soundstage, just want it to be relatively musical... But, again, detail, detail, imaging and layering separation is key.
I don't care about bass.

I've been thinking hd800S(newest s) or focal Clear maybe ether 2? Am I even looking in the right direction?

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #18 of 970
I read this thread and it scares me.
I want a light bass yet resolution, detail, imagining and layering to be super awesome.

I don't want a harsh treble range but I guess I can eq... I'd hate to but only if I get maximum detail and imaging, I don't care much about a super wide Soundstage, just want it to be relatively musical... But, again, detail, detail, imaging and layering separation is key.
I don't care about bass.

I've been thinking hd800S(newest s) or focal Clear maybe ether 2? Am I even looking in the right direction?

I'd start with T1 (which I really like), then, if you want lighter/righter bass and even more detail and stronger imaging, you can go the HD800s (I own)/Utopia (I don't)/ath ad2000x route, if you want warmth, maintain detail, more effortlessness then Ether 2 (I'm considering owning), meze emprean(I'm considering owning), Focal Stellia (I own), or a pain and simple HD650

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #19 of 970
I'd start with T1 (which I really like), then, if you want lighter/righter bass and even more detail and stronger imaging, you can go the HD800s (I own)/Utopia (I don't)/ath ad2000x route, if you want warmth, maintain detail, more effortlessness then Ether 2 (I'm considering owning), meze emprean(I'm considering owning), Focal Stellia (I own), or a pain and simple HD650
I really appreciate you, ether 2 has as much detail as hd800s and utopia? Imaging too?

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #20 of 970
I really appreciate you, ether 2 has as much detail as hd800s and utopia? Imaging too?

I simply don't know as I have not heard Ether 2 yet, it's tempting..

Feb 13, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #22 of 970
I wonder if iems can have better detail and imaging

Multi-BAs definitely can have more details and imaging.

But they are flawed in a sense; it can feel too unnatural. The exaggerated holographic/psycho-acoustic in them can give you an uncanny valley feeling. Like we get from wierd 3D art.

Well it is not exactly flawed, it could just be a next gen experience that is not nostalgic to the listener. Like the difference in sound from a reference brass saxophone that people know. And hearing a premium saxophone that is made with modern materials.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #23 of 970

Agreed, T1 is a great 'starter flagship'. Oodles of detail imaging and layering, the bass is nice but not inflated or overstated, but it's also authoritative when called upon.
Just be prepared to get an amp with the wattage to drive it. THX AAA 789 pairs with it amazingly and is totally affordable.

Feb 13, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #24 of 970
Agreed, T1 is a great 'starter flagship'. Oodles of detail imaging and layering, the bass is nice but not inflated or overstated, but it's also authoritative when called upon.
Just be prepared to get an amp with the wattage to drive it. THX AAA 789 pairs with it amazingly and is totally affordable.
These affordable thx amps are they decent in comparison to 1000 go 1500 options or not? As far as amps go

Few years ago I tried the t1 2nd gen, only had a mojo to pair with but it was fun yet bright and peaky, I wasn't all that impressed. I think the u18t while being an iem is far higher in sound quality as far as imaging, clarity, detail retrieval, over the LCD xc too, but other than those 2 cans I haven't heard any modern ones. Just want massive detail and resolution

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #25 of 970
These affordable thx amps are they decent in comparison to 1000 go 1500 options or not? As far as amps go

In my opinion yes. Super clean, super resolving, no heat emmission, really I think they can run against anything so long as you aren't looking for loads of coloration from an amp, as they are very transparent.

Few years ago I tried the t1 2nd gen, only had a mojo to pair with but it was fun yet bright and peaky, I wasn't all that impressed. I think the u18t while being an iem is far higher in sound quality as far as imaging, clarity, detail retrieval, over the LCD xc too, but other than those 2 cans I haven't heard any modern ones. Just want massive detail and resolution

Yeah, I can't imagine a mojo driving the T1 it to its potential personally. They're power hungry cans. The mojo only does 720mW @ 8ohms which works out to35mW at 600 ohms.
At max volume the cans would be quite and straining to sound anything like their potential.

Feb 13, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #26 of 970
Guys, what are the THX amps rated at for 300 and 600 ohms? I was looking into them earlier but I understood the build quality kinda sucked. Great bang for the buck but not necessarily something they expect to be in one piece a few years from now. I also understood the SMSL is not a balanced amp, just has XLR output.

Feb 13, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #27 of 970
Guys, what are the THX amps rated at for 300 and 600 ohms? I was looking into them earlier but I understood the build quality kinda sucked. Great bang for the buck but not necessarily something they expect to be in one piece a few years from now. I also understood the SMSL is not a balanced amp, just has XLR output.

"The Drop THX AAA 789 gives six watts to 16 and 32 ohm load headphones through the balanced output and that is very noticeable. The figures go down to 800 milliwatts at 300 ohms and 400 milliwatts at 600 ohms"

The build is 'ok', it's clean, but not luxurious at all. So long as you arent banging it around, it should be ok, but no, it's not a build masterpiece.

If you want to spend more on build with the same tech, there's the Benchmark
https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/hpa4

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #28 of 970
Thanks, I know about the Benchmark but it was more than I wanted to spend. I got the Violectric V280 and I'm very happy with it.

Feb 13, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #29 of 970
In my opinion yes. Super clean, super resolving, no heat emmission, really I think they can run against anything so long as you aren't looking for loads of coloration from an amp, as they are very transparent.

Yeah, I can't imagine a mojo driving the T1 it to its potential personally. They're power hungry cans. The mojo only does 720mW @ 8ohms which works out to35mW at 600 ohms.
At max volume the cans would be quite and straining to sound anything like their potential.

I have the Mojo and T1 and I know exactly what you're talking about. Mojo is very resolving and that's what you get when you pair with a resolving headphone. My story with the T1 is I've tried to get it rid of many times and there was always something I wasn't happy about with amp pairing - everything from little dot 3/4 to Beyer's own A1 and A2 amp, to mojo and headamp - they all make the T1 sound more clear toward the HD800s direction - UNTIL I stumped upon Bottlehead Crack OTL - man, what a change, the T1 + Crack OTL I'd say become a fairly meaty laid back sound where the highs are lot more controlled and the lows are more punchy, but all the details are still there. I've been loving T1 ever since and could finally enjoy the music without thinking about the technicality - when I want to get more analytical then I will go HD800s, when I want more fun I will go LCD3, but T1 becomes my natural all genre open back headphone with the Crack OTL now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back