TOTL disappointments
Mar 2, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #961 of 970
in another thread you said you only heard the older 200 series. thus you have no exp with devices from the post above you responded to and yet you made blanket statement about Nimbus/Lake people. unless you want to say now you heard them??
I was referring to the older 200 series in relation to your 222 🤦 I don’t know where you are going with this. 200 series is mid fi so not relevant for this thread.

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #962 of 970
I was referring to the older 200 series in relation to your 222 🤦 I don’t know where you are going with this. 200 series is mid fi so not relevant for this thread.

No, what you said was that "Nimbus = Lake People" and that makes everything Nimbus makes mid-fi lol. My question to you would be have you actually heard anything from Nimbus? Because you sounded awfully convinced about what the V222 could do without ever having heard it. You just drew your conclusions based on your exp with older 200 amps

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #963 of 970
What’s wrong with that opinion? Lake People came out and said they created the new brand to capture $5k market and didn’t offer anything worthwhile to justify the price increase. Probably also heard one at shows but didn’t take notes. i guess in that respect Niimbus belongs squarely in this thread.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #964 of 970
What’s wrong with that opinion? Lake People came out and said they created the new brand to capture $5k market and didn’t offer anything worthwhile to justify the price increase. Probably also heard one at shows but didn’t take notes. i guess in that respect Niimbus belongs squarely in this thread.

What's wrong is you have no basis to say what you said, since you have no exp with Nimbus, or at least haven't admitted you have.. I'll take that to mean you haven't had that exp.

As a general rule i try to avoid making blanket statements about products I haven't heard.

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #965 of 970
I probably heard one but I honestly don‘t need to hear one to tell you opamp voltage gain followed by MOSFET buffer with a heavy dose of feedback is midfi topology. Fancy case and relay pot doesn’t make it TOTL. To be TOTL SS the bare minimum is fully discrete topology - discrete opamp doesn’t count as that still requires heavy feedback.

If you like Lake People, Violectric, Niimbus, don’t let me stop you. You will probably find better sounding gear for less in the future but in the mean time you should enjoy what you have.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #966 of 970
I probably heard one but I honestly don‘t need to hear one to tell you opamp voltage gain followed by MOSFET buffer with a heavy dose of feedback is midfi topology. Fancy case and relay pot doesn’t make it TOTL. To be TOTL SS the bare minimum is fully discrete topology - discrete opamp doesn’t count as that still requires heavy feedback.

If you like Lake People, Violectric, Niimbus, don’t let me stop you. You will probably find better sounding gear for less in the future but in the mean time you should enjoy what you have.

No, the immaculate build, time tested reliability and sound makes the Vio/Nimbus stuff TOTL. If the warmer, more analogue signatures aren't your jam that's fine. I think you're a little misguided in how you're characterizing those brands.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #967 of 970
Care to explain your position? Something you should do if you're denigrating someone else's post.

Edited for grammar
ASR derangement syndrome. Graphs trigger some people.
What's wrong is you have no basis to say what you said, since you have no exp with Nimbus, or at least haven't admitted you have.. I'll take that to mean you haven't had that exp.

As a general rule i try to avoid making blanket statements about products I haven't heard.
And he is always citing years of personal experience as some sort of know it all gatekeeper while constantly asking if people have heard the thing they criticize. Double standards.

Mar 19, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #968 of 970
ETA makes super high value headphones. If you're like me, an average joe with an average wage, who can't really afford the msrp of ZMFs headphones and want near TOTL sound quality. I would recommend ETA headphones. I haven't heard the ETA O2 but the older model, Gen G, which uses the same drivers. It doesn't look polished or luxurious and looks like someone built it in their mom's basement and the 3D printed parts are loose fitting as well. The sound quality with my dsha-3fn is very near TOTL. Not as good as the solitaire P with HA200 or the Susvara with Lina stack but I would say like 92% of the way there for a fraction of the price.

Mar 23, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #969 of 970
I've seen a few Dan Clark Stealth in the $3,300 range lately used. Anyone have this model and think it's worth the money compared to other kilobuck models?
Some I've has like the original Heddphone and Hifiman Audivina weren't worth near those prices. Just got another HD800 S and those are worth it. The Hifiman Arya Stealth is well worth the price (but not the original with annoying female vocal treble peak).

Mar 24, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #970 of 970
I've seen a few Dan Clark Stealth in the $3,300 range lately used. Anyone have this model and think it's worth the money compared to other kilobuck models?
Some I've has like the original Heddphone and Hifiman Audivina weren't worth near those prices. Just got another HD800 S and those are worth it. The Hifiman Arya Stealth is well worth the price (but not the original with annoying female vocal treble peak).

Nothing wrong with Stealth, but you need to strongly consider DCA E3 for much cheaper price, that use newer driver than Stealth. Weird price placement from DCA, but it is as what it is.

p.s: I prefer E3 than Stealth in term of sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back