totally lost...need some fresh buds
Dec 22, 2010 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

m27gio

New Head-Fier
So I've been looking for some high quality in-ear headphones so I went out and bought myself some Tours by Monster/Dre Beats based off of the company's reputation and peoples' insistence, but was very disappointed by the results.  They're hardly better than my iPod in-ear pair.  I also bought the Bose in-ear headphones and these are significantly better, my only beef is that I don't really like the fit of it, and might want a little more out of them.

So what is the next step up from these headphones.  I'm looking for something <$200 range.  I've heard about the Monster Turbines and have been looking at those.  I appreciate any feedback.  Thanks!

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #2 of 14
You should have read ljokerl's thread.
One of his starting IEM's is the Brainwavz M1, another is the RE0, DBA-02, ...
You can get a RE0 AND a M1 for around $100!
The turbines are quite good from what I have heard others say, now at $58 on amazon. Great deal!

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #3 of 14
You can ebay a pair of TripleFi 10s for <150.  Turbines aren't a bad option but I believe there are better.  Too bad you didn't come to head-fi sooner before you wasted you money on Beats and Bose.  Your eyes will now be opened to the beautiful world of audio.

Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!

Dec 22, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #8 of 14
Well, it was a good deal then. But you can still get even better IEM's for that kind of money anyway. If the turbines were $60 MSRP, they still stay turbines and would be an awesome bang for the buck but not the best.

Dec 22, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 14
yes, the recommendations will depend on what type of sound you like.  Are you looking for big bass with smooth highs, or do you like a more neutral / balanced sound, or do you like "bright" speakers with clear, pronounced "sparkly" highs?

Dec 22, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #11 of 14
I don't think I can get too technical...but I listen to mostly hip-hop so do want good bass but don't want it to be muffled sounding or overpowering.  I like the details in the music you can hear with quality headphones that you normally can't hear.  I don't like anything really sharp, as if the treble is extremely high and it kinda hurts your ear, but I want it to be clear while sounding crisp.  I also listen to some soft rock and alternative and some techno-ish music.  Hope this helped.

Dec 22, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #12 of 14
If hip-hop is your primary music I definitely recommend the Munitio 9mm's - http://munitio.com

With coupon code (vibrato) you get 25% off.  They have the best bass of any IEM in that price range, but the treble is also sweet and clear, detailed without being "harsh".   They also sound great with electronic or even indie/alt rock (I'm listening to the Mountain Goats right now).

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #13 of 14
if you love details, i would seriously go with klipsch custom 3. amazing detail, very tight bass. and i listen to mainly rap. i got them shipped on friday, and am absolutely in love. i had my bose ie2's stolen so i went to head-fi to find what i wanted, and now i got the custom 3's. couldn't be happier. $109 on amazon. good luck!(oh and by the way the cable is pretty bad but i am living with it, so if you are a bit gentle with em theyll be fine. cyaaa

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #14 of 14
http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

i always link this when people ask for headphones/IEMs recommendations. It is pretty much self explanatory and possibly the best wiki here. Remember that with good headphones/IEMs, you would need to look into amps for them so u probably will need to factor in the cost of the amp. The wiki even tells u which ones need amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back