Totally blown away by Etys ER6i
Jun 25, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like the ER6is, you should try the ER4Ps
very_evil_smiley.gif

I was really hoping noone would say that. I passed on the Er4p to get the Er6i + Shure E4 because I wasn't shure i'd buy into the Ety sound. Now I have to get rid of something (looking at Ne-8s) before even thinking about another upgrade.

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Co-sign on the 6i, but the now discontinued ER6 was the *real* deal.

As I previously posted in a different thread, I set out to buy the original ER6's a few months ago. I was bitterly disappointed to learn that they were no longer available, and I balked at the ER6i's. In my experience, phones marketed for the iPod tend to reflect mass taste, which boils down to more fake bass than I can stand and general lack of accuracy.

I'm not saying that is true of the ER6i's, because I haven't heard them. But I'd be curious to know how they compare to the orgininals, which I loved while I had them.

I'd be very appreciative if you could break down the differences for me. As I said, I loved my original ER6's, and deeply regret not treating them more carefully. They were splendid for the money! If the ER6i's are reasonably close to the originals, and don't have the mid-bass bump and artificial warmth I'm afraid of, I'd consider them.

Failing that, I'd be curious to know if you know of any IEM's in the same price range (+/- $100) that will give me what I want: accuracy, detail and natural freq balance. I tend to like phones that others seem to think are "clinical." Though I do like the Grado sound (go figure!).

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Particularly since my other option, as far as I know, would be the far more expensive ER4S's, which I really can't shell out for right now. Not to mention that they need to be amped, which would make the price proposition completely out of the question at this juncture.

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #18 of 46
I'm curious about the other differences between the Er6i and Er6 as well, but I can certainly say that there is no artificial warmth or mid-bass hump in the Er6i's sound with my setup. I have trouble imagining something more accurate and analytical (damn those Er4p's. Must resist the tempation to try).

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious about the other differences between the Er6i and Er6 as well, but I can certainly say that there is no artificial warmth or mid-bass hump in the Er6i's sound with my setup. I have trouble imagining something more accurate and analytical.

I can't imagine Ety making bad phones; I'm just spoiled by the originals and I would definitely want to hear from someone who has heard both.

Quote:

(damn those Er4p's. Must resist the tempation to try)

Heh. You and me both. Especially since I've always been curious about custom ear molds, and I think they are available for the 4S's.

I must not think bad thoughts. I must not think bad thoughts. I must not...

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

I was really hoping noone would say that. I passed on the Er4p to get the Er6i + Shure E4 because I wasn't shure i'd buy into the Ety sound. Now I have to get rid of something (looking at Ne-8s) before even thinking about another upgrade.

Heh, someone had to
evil_smiley.gif

Nah don't sweat it, your reasoning sounds good and I guess what you've gained now is that you know what kind of sound you prefer. So if you want to, sometime down the track you have a possible upgrade option. That's more or less what I did as well, got the iM716s which are pretty comparable to the ER6is, then when they fell apart I upgraded and it worked out as a nice improvement/upgrade.

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must not think bad thoughts. I must not think bad thoughts. I must not...

biggrin.gif

Quote:

Nah don't sweat it, your reasoning sounds good and I guess what you've gained now is that you know what kind of sound you prefer. So if you want to, sometime down the track you have a possible upgrade option.

Unfortunately I like the Shure E4s as well. Listening to them for the first time wasn't a revelation like listening to the Er6i's was, but they are very beatifully balanced phones and extremely enjoyable all the same.

I've used the Etys as my main on-the-go phones for several days now (probably ~15 hrs) and I must say that I expected them to be much less forgiving of poor sources. They sound incredible from my home setup, but they really aren't half bad straight out of a Sansa E280, which, lets face it, is a bit muddy and warm in sound sig. I was previously absolutely appaled by the Altec Lansing Uhp336 (Rebranded UE super.fi 3), which were unusable due to hiss straight out of my e280 and fairly unpleasant through a fiio E5 as well.

The Er6i's are easily as forgiving as my Nuforce NE-8s despite higher sensitivity and offer much better detail, though their crystal clarity is counterbalanced by the sansa's swampy muddiness.

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Heh, someone had to
evil_smiley.gif

Nah don't sweat it, your reasoning sounds good and I guess what you've gained now is that you know what kind of sound you prefer. So if you want to, sometime down the track you have a possible upgrade option. That's more or less what I did as well, got the iM716s which are pretty comparable to the ER6is, then when they fell apart I upgraded and it worked out as a nice improvement/upgrade.

I scanned the thread just to see if someone had said it...

There's no way the OP won't own ER-4Ps within the next several months. They blow the ER-6 series out of the water. It's not even close...

Sorry, btw.
etysmile.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1son /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I scanned the thread just to see if someone had said it...

There's no way the OP won't own ER-4Ps within the next several months. They blow the ER-6 series out of the water. It's not even close...

Sorry, btw.
etysmile.gif

Oh you b*stard. I'm gonna have to unsubscribe from my own thread because of you people
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #25 of 46
The ER6i's definitely have lots of detail but I haven't got the money to properly amp them so I still find myself wanting for more low end. I suppose that's why I've got the Sennheiser IE7's, huh? :]

Jun 25, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Oh you b*stard. I'm gonna have to unsubscribe from my own thread because of you people
wink.gif

You should've just gone all out. Get rid of those E4s + ER6is and get the proper Ety's
smily_headphones1.gif

Many years ago I tried what you tried... ended up buying the ER-4P/S and they have been my primary portable phone (KSC-35 when I need to hear background noise) ever since. That was about 4 years ago. Still use the same pair several times a week, mostly at night in bed (to not disturb the wife) and when mowing. They really are spectacular. I have regular moments of musical zen with em.
tongue.gif

Oh... they're also amazing on airplanes.

Jun 25, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #27 of 46
oh man..reading this thread is making me want to get the er4p so badly now

im in like a similar situation..i had the er6i and then i went to the shure e4's but i miss my er6i but want something better so...er4p

Jun 26, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1son /img/forum/go_quote.gif
etysmile.gif

I need to take some exception to this if by 'series' you mean both ER-6i and ER-6.

The ER-4P is indeed far better than the ER-6i (which remains awfully good for the price). However ER-4P vs. ER-6 (non-i) is a much closer call, though one that different people will make different ways. My personal ranking is ER-4S > ER-6 > ER-4P because the ER-4P's not-quite-right frequency response kind of bugs me, but many would rank ER-4P somewhat ahead of ER-6, and that's reasonable too. In no case, however, can I agree that ER-4P is far ahead of ER-6. It's just not. If the ER-6 data were still posted on Ety's site, you'd see their own tests actually rank the ER-6 as a more accurate earphone than the 4P, despite the 4P sharing the 4S's drivers.

As a sidenote to an earlier poster in this thread, I agree it's a pity that the old ER-6 is gone. I spoke to an Etymotic employee a couple months ago and he said that the European RoHS regulations would have required reengineering of the ER-6 because it contained a small amount of lead solder; it wasn't a big enough seller to warrant reengineering, nor to continue production solely for non-RoHS countries, not when the company's current three tiers of ER-6i, hf2/hf5, and ER-4 make the old ER-6 much less relevant in filling out their product line than it used to be.

Jun 26, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #30 of 46
DrBenway;5791780 said:
I'd be very appreciative if you could break down the differences for me. As I said, I loved my original ER6's, and deeply regret not treating them more carefully. They were splendid for the money! If the ER6i's are reasonably close to the originals, and don't have the mid-bass bump and artificial warmth I'm afraid of, I'd consider them./QUOTE]

The 6i's are obviously easier to drive without an amp and IMO has more bass, which on the surface, would seem to be a good thing. The problem is that it comes at the expense of losing some detail and coherency. It is not a night and day difference, but it did prompt me to buy a couple of more pairs of ER6's at the time. Unfortunately, mine are now all history. I'd suggest considering the HF5's if they are on a $99.00 deal again. Otherwise, the 6i's are the only "bargain" Ety. If you can stretch the budget, then I think the ER4's offer the most value among this line of IEM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back