Totally blown away by Etys ER6i
Jun 24, 2009 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

ljokerl

Portables Reviewerus Prolificus
Just got a pair of these little wonders and I must say that even with my schizophrenic setup (Audigy 4 Pro -> I/O Hub -> Cardas Mini-Mini -> Headroom Total Airhead -> 68 Ohm impedance adapter -> Etys) these sound absolutely amazing. Crisp, clear, detailed - these terms fail to describe how great these sound to my ears - and this is considering the fact that my music is not well-suited for such qualities (Now listening to STP greatest hits). Bass is clearly present and very accurate, but almost negligible in quantity. Bassheads definitely need not apply.

They are also very revealing about recording quality. Had to toss out several tracks by indie bands because they just sound like crap.

I think my Nuforce NE-8s have lost their spot in my collection. Will see which are better (between these, the NE-8s, and the Shure E4s) on the go with my (less than ideal) Sansa E280 as a source.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by rubberchickenmx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you tried the um1s?
are the e6i better than um1s?

Sorry, haven't tried the UM1s but from what I understand the Etys are a lot more cold and analytical and have a much tighter bass. The Westones are fuller at the lower end and perhaps in the midrange as well, but lose detail up high.

I can definitely attest to the Etys benefitting from an amp (and an impedance adapter) though. They sound slightly flat and lifeless straight out of my DAPs.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 46
Quote:

have you tried the um1s?

They are totally different animals. Completely different sound signature.

UM1 = more bass, more midrange, less treble, maybe slightly less detailed/refined but retain good resolution.

Jun 24, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 46
Quote:

have you tried the um1s?

I had UM1's and sold them within a few days. I found them okay but kind of lifeless. Not too much bass, not too much treble. Mainly midrange. Kind of blah IMHO. I would take ER6i any day and ER4P is even a bit better.

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think my Nuforce NE-8s have lost their spot in my collection. Will see which are better (between these, the NE-8s, and the Shure E4s) on the go with my (less than ideal) Sansa E280 as a source.

The ER6i are amazing little headphones for the money, I agree. But personally I would never choose them over the E4, which I see as having almost comparable detail, better midrange, better bass (although still not a great deal), and better fit and cabling. Just my plug for the Shure. I am glad you are enjoying your Etys.
smile.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ER6i are amazing little headphones for the money, I agree. But personally I would never choose them over the E4, which I see as having almost comparable detail, better midrange, better bass (although still not a great deal), and better fit and cabling. Just my plug for the Shure. I am glad you are enjoying your Etys.
smile.gif

Yeah, I agree. I said I chose them over the NE-8s, but figured they were in for a good fight with the E4s. For some reason I just can't bring myself to like the heavy cabling of the shure/ue/lansing headphones i've owned. Also, black olives just dont fit me quite right
frown.gif

I think still prefer the E4's on the go since I am not about to drag my airhead and the impedance adapter around. The Shures do sound better with the E5 than the Etys (maybe the loss of detail just isnt as noticeable with them
wink.gif
)

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Sorry, haven't tried the UM1s but from what I understand the Etys are a lot more cold and analytical and have a much tighter bass. The Westones are fuller at the lower end and perhaps in the midrange as well, but lose detail up high.

I can definitely attest to the Etys benefitting from an amp (and an impedance adapter) though. They sound slightly flat and lifeless straight out of my DAPs.

You may not want to make such specific remarks about earphones you've not heard. Just a friendly reminder.

The er6i are good no doubt, but the signature just wasn't for me. I think that to get the most out of them, you need to use foam tips like shure olives. Amplifying with my tomahawk definitely helped the low end a bit.

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #11 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had UM1's and sold them within a few days. I found them okay but kind of lifeless. Not too much bass, not too much treble. Mainly midrange. Kind of blah IMHO. I would take ER6i any day and ER4P is even a bit better.

Same here. Shipped the UM1s back pronto. Also favor er6i of the two, by far.

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may not want to make such specific remarks about earphones you've not heard. Just a friendly reminder.

Yes, I've noticed that some people jump down your throat for restating something you've read on the forums rather than linking to it. Thats why I put a disclaimer....

Quote:

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #13 of 46
Co-sign on the 6i, but the now discontinued ER6 was the *real* deal.

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Co-sign on the 6i, but the now discontinued ER6 was the *real* deal.

If the manual is to be believed, the Er6i have an 8db bass boost over the ER6. If the comply site is to be believed, the T-100 foamies that fit the Er6 will not fit the Er6i, which leads me to assume that the Er6i has a shorter stem.

Any other differences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back