Totally blown away by Etys ER6i
Jun 26, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonrev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct me if I'm wrong but the HF2's and the HF5's have the exact same driver, right?

I believe it is indeed the same driver as the Er4p/s (if that's what you mean). However, saying that they have the same driver does not allow any conclusions about the way they sound. The design of each phone has as much to do with that as the driver used.

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is that it comes at the expense of losing some detail and coherency.

Thanks for the comparison. Unfortunately, the 6i's don't sound like what I am looking for. Detail and neutrality are what I want from these cans.

Quote:

If you can stretch the budget, then I think the ER4's offer the most value among this line of IEM's.

I'm stretched about as far as I can go at the moment, so I'm probably going to wait until I can shell out for the ER4S's. When I bought the ER6's, I really wanted the ER4S's. Starting with the ER6's seemed like a a way to dip a toe in the water and get a feel for the Ety sound before plunking down $200 for the ER4S's. I ended up very happy with the ER6's, and in my current fiscal straits, I would have been satisfied to pick up another pair. I'm just gonna have to wait.

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonrev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct me if I'm wrong but the HF2's and the HF5's have the exact same driver, right?

They are the same, with the only difference being the mic on the HF2. The HF5's are pleasant and have the Ety house sound -- definitely worth $99, as they are more detailed and refined than other options in this price range. They are *not* ER4's at a bargain price, however. So, IMO at $149 for HF5's, jumping to the ER4's for a bit more is pretty much a no-brainer.

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

They are the same, with the only difference being the mic on the HF2. The HF5's are pleasant and have the Ety house sound -- definitely worth $99, as they are more detailed and refined than other options in this price range. They are *not* ER4's at a bargain price, however. So, IMO at $149 for HF5's, jumping to the ER4's for a bit more is pretty much a no-brainer.

Thanks, that reaffirms my suspicions. Guess I've got a long journey ahead to sell off my Ne-8/Er6i and get an Er4s. And here I thought head-fi was a friendly community that cared about my wallet.

Edit: New impressions. Replaced the Ety tri-flanges with Shure black olives and added a Fiio E5 between my sansa and the phones. Result: Holy mother of bass! These can crank out some quality bass en masse. I think they are about on-par with unamped E4s in terms of bass with this setup. Still don't sound as detailed as they do with my home setup (the E5 certainly isnt helping there)

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone ever heard of fake ety?

Never heard of fake Etys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubberchickenmx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you guys think the etys will do trance justice?

With my home setup, yes. With a portable setup and especially if coupled with a cold player, they will not provide the punch you most likely want for trance/techno.

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

damn,,, alright thanks a bunch

also, what do you mean "home setup" ? you mean like a computer with ??

My rag-tag home setup is listed in the 1st post of the thread: Audigy 4 Pro -> I/O Hub -> Cardas Mini-Mini -> Headroom Total Airhead -> 68 Ohm impedance adapter -> Etys

Jul 17, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the comparison. Unfortunately, the 6i's don't sound like what I am looking for. Detail and neutrality are what I want from these cans.

I'm stretched about as far as I can go at the moment, so I'm probably going to wait until I can shell out for the ER4S's. When I bought the ER6's, I really wanted the ER4S's. Starting with the ER6's seemed like a a way to dip a toe in the water and get a feel for the Ety sound before plunking down $200 for the ER4S's. I ended up very happy with the ER6's, and in my current fiscal straits, I would have been satisfied to pick up another pair. I'm just gonna have to wait.

You were smart. Not everyone like the ETY sound. But now that you know you do, the ER4P or S are a no brainer entry into high-end IEMs. I think they are great. Still a phone to have on an desert island for me.

Jul 17, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, that reaffirms my suspicions. Guess I've got a long journey ahead to sell off my Ne-8/Er6i and get an Er4s. And here I thought head-fi was a friendly community that cared about my wallet.

Edit: New impressions. Replaced the Ety tri-flanges with Shure black olives and added a Fiio E5 between my sansa and the phones. Result: Holy mother of bass! These can crank out some quality bass en masse. I think they are about on-par with unamped E4s in terms of bass with this setup. Still don't sound as detailed as they do with my home setup (the E5 certainly isnt helping there)

Olives are good and Comply are good also. I mean great.

Jul 17, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I completely agree with you there, there's a big differences between flanges and foamies. Wouldn't have thought it before I tried either, (this forum has a tendency to GROSSLY EXAGGERATE audible diferences
icon10.gif
) but I guess it makes sense since the flanges really only barely make contact with your inner ear whereas generously sized foamies expand to more or less press up against the entirety of your inner ear which presumably means you feel more of the lower bass reverberation. Or at least that's my pseudo-scientific explanation!

Quote:

you guys think the etys will do trance justice?

It'll be accurate and it'll keep up to whatever beats per minute your track is, but it might sound a bit sharp and fatiguing in the treble area and might lack a bit of punch. Both of those two negs can be fixed with a little EQ though.

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I completely agree with you there, there's a big differences between flanges and foamies. Wouldn't have thought it before I tried either, (this forum has a tendency to GROSSLY EXAGGERATE audible diferences
icon10.gif
) but I guess it makes sense since the flanges really only barely make contact with your inner ear whereas generously sized foamies expand to more or less press up against the entirety of your inner ear which presumably means you feel more of the lower bass reverberation. Or at least that's my pseudo-scientific explanation!

I can buy that, unless some has a less-pseudo scientific explanation.

My RE0s are taking the day off today as the resurrection of this thread has reminded me to take the Etys out of my desk and give them a day or two of listening time
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

have you tried the um1s?
are the e6i better than um1s?

I'm not knocking you personally, but this comment made me laugh. It is the Headfi mentality in a nutshell.

You can just see Moses coming down off the mount.

"I've just seen God."

"Oh yeah? Have you tried Jesus?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back