Torpedo III Build Thread
Oct 25, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #46 of 322

Ah, sorry to disturb the peace. Not all change means new :)

Troublemaker. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #48 of 322
Thats QUITE a jump in price on the original Torpedo kit. I cant imagine the Torpedo III will be cheaper than the Torpedo I.

Perhaps, but please check the BOM on the Torpedo website for reference. As I explain at the top of the listing for the Torpedo on beezar.com, I have been practically losing money on the Torpedo since day one. While the amp had the slight hum issue (it no longer does), we were only trying to re-coup costs. Poor Doug has only received a little more than $10 for every Torpedo sold.

Meanwhile, the specially-extruded long casework ties up $thousands in investment, not to mention stocking transformers with a two-month lead time.

I don't mean to complain and you guys shouldn't have to concern yourselves with anything but the sale price and whether you judge that to be a good value in the marketplace. Nevertheless, the pricing is not arbitrarily set.

With the Cinemags, the Torpedo III is a legitimate Summit-Fi headphone amplifier. Yes, it will be more expensive.

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #49 of 322
Perhaps, but please check the BOM on the Torpedo website for reference. As I explain at the top of the listing for the Torpedo on beezar.com, I have been practically losing money on the Torpedo since day one. While the amp had the slight hum issue (it no longer does), we were only trying to re-coup costs. Poor Doug has only received a little more than $10 for every Torpedo sold.

Meanwhile, the specially-extruded long casework ties up $thousands in investment, not to mention stocking transformers with a two-month lead time.

I don't mean to complain and you guys shouldn't have to concern yourselves with anything but the sale price and whether you judge that to be a good value in the marketplace. Nevertheless, the pricing is not arbitrarily set.

With the Cinemags, the Torpedo III is a legitimate Summit-Fi headphone amplifier. Yes, it will be more expensive.

I was just a little surprised with the change and I fully sympathize with you on the difficulties of selling a product. Ears I trust told me that the Torpedo 3 is as good as you say, and rest assured I fully intend to buy it with the Cinemags regardless of the price shift.

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #52 of 322
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/781651/torpedo-iii-build-thread/45#post_12024280 layout=inline]Quote:[/CONTENTEMBED]

I can't wait to build one. Thanks for putting in all the effort to make these available.

Thanks for the kind comments!

Will the full schematic and PCB be availible like the current Torpedo?

Yes, of course - complete BOM as well.

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #53 of 322

I had always suspected that was the case. I remember getting my kit and being amazed that all these parts could come packaged at that price point. The Torpedo I remains an insane value in the world of DIY tube gear, even with the price increase.

Oct 26, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #57 of 322
Good to see you, Doug. I probably won't be able to resist :wink:

-edit- what's the model on the parafeed caps? Looking to get dimensions to go searching for replacements (though I'll probably build with includes caps first)
http://www.mouser.com/Search/m_ProductDetail.aspx?EPCOS-TDK%2fB32674D3106K%2f&qs=sGAEpiMZZMv1cc3ydrPrF0gALJPP0xBjM%252bvJjWhJfE8%3d maybe?

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #59 of 322
Regardless, it is probably pretty close on both timing and price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Gosh, I had hoped so, but Wednesday is pushing it, at this point.

Will you be mirroring this information on diyforums.org when the systems are ready?

Yes - working on it right now.  I'm probably 50% finished, so quit bugging me and let me get back to work.
wink.gif
  I only came over here to get Dsavitsk's original schematic.
wink.gif

P.S. The listing will go up on Beezar as soon as I'm finished with the website (enough documentation to support the build).  I guess I'm slipping a week, because that's my estimate right now - sometime this coming weekend, but closer to Friday than Sunday, at this point.

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #60 of 322
what's the model on the parafeed caps? Looking to get dimensions to go searching for replacements (though I'll probably build with includes caps first)
http://www.mouser.com/Search/m_ProductDetail.aspx?EPCOS-TDK%2fB32674D3106K%2f&qs=sGAEpiMZZMv1cc3ydrPrF0gALJPP0xBjM%252bvJjWhJfE8%3d maybe?

That looks like the right one. Caps should be at least 300V with min 10uF recommended. Sims with caps as small as 1u show that they transfer bass frequencies, but the phase is distorted which will make it sound like they don't. You might do OK with slightly smaller (8u? possibly 5u?) but I wouldn't really recommend it. You might also be able to parallel 2x 5u caps or something. You can also try a bypass, though I have not tried it.

That said, there are pins for 27.5mm, 32.5mm, 37.5mm, 45mm, and 53mm. Width is the bigger issue 21mm width/diameter being the max. There is actually very little out there that will fit as most things are a little too fat.

And don't use anything with a conductive exterior as it will cause a short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back