Torpedo III Build Thread
Oct 27, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #61 of 322
Yep, that's what I'm finding. There are a few alternatives but nothing probably worth it unless you go exotic on the casework. Perhaps radials through the top of the case (keeping leads as short as possible, of course) or even looking into a custom custom case that's double height or close to it to allow mounting two caps on topside of board and two on bottom. If you could make the faceplate a perfect square, that could be cool. Not sure the dimensions work out though.

Thanks.

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #62 of 322
Doug, would you compare Torpedo III to Black Diamond. HD650, K701, K7XX, SA5000 are used most of time. I will grab the Dharma D1000 or HD800 in the near future and consider to add another amp.

Oct 28, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #63 of 322
Doug, would you compare Torpedo III to Black Diamond. HD650, K701, K7XX, SA5000 are used most of time. I will grab the Dhrama D1000 or HD800 in the near future and consider to add another amp.

This is also what I am curious about. Given the very careful selection of parts, many high quality, and especially the cinemag transformers version of the Torpedo III, could you please comment on how the sound and the dynamics compare to the Black Diamond? Thank you Doug!

Oct 28, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #64 of 322
Nevermind, saw that C7, C8, C9, and C10 should be at least 300V. Curious if round caps could be staggered in there. 

If you do some creative mounting and ensure you don't short anything with the metal shells, the obbligatos *may* fit (30mm x 55). Usually Auricaps are pretty small form factor, but they are a bit too large as well. If you do some unusual placement with crisscrossed sleeved leads, the Mcap EVO Oil Series (40mm x 27mm) might be another potential. Would have to do some board measurements to figure any of this out. 

...then there's always bypassing as a possibility. Plenty of creative possibilities :D

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #65 of 322
It's 300v. Not really many (or any) options. I thought i had found a good (but stupid expensive) option with vcap oimp, but they're only 150v and a little too fat. I was looking at putting a few soniccaps in parallel, but they're only 200v. Only thing I've really found is a film and foil cap (amtrans) marketed for power supplies. It's stupid expensive, too, and would require mounting through the case.

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #70 of 322
Doug.. Tom mentioned you've optimized the TIII for use with a wide range of headphones (from low to high impedance as well as various sensitivities).. is there a tweak to optimize the TIII build if one were to use it exclusively with high impedance dynamics (i.e. in my case, the HD650/HD800)?

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #72 of 322
The T3 is basically designed around the HD650s and HD800s because those are what I listen to.
smily_headphones1.gif

No way .. ME TOO!

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #73 of 322
The T3 is basically designed around the HD650s and HD800s because those are what I listen to.
smily_headphones1.gif

I figured you graduated from your Grados.  I still use the HF-2's and I'm liking them very much with this amp!  I have the HD600's, too, with a great set of Cardas cables, but I still prefer the Grados.

Quote originally from Dsavitsk (not from Head-Fi):
12AT7 - has similar looking gain to the 12AY7. However, the circuit runs it at lower voltage and current than are ideal which will result in slightly higher distortion. Subjectively, we found it to sound more tubey which some people may like.

I just got a pair of matched GE JAN 12AT7's in the mail today.  I have to say they're great.  Maybe I like the "tubey" sound.  As best I can tell - more bass punch, with just as much detail and more presence.  This is an absolutely fantastic amp.

Just a break from the web pages - I'd say I'm at about 90%, so things will go on sale this weekend, for sure! 
biggrin.gif

P.S. Would've been done by now, but had to go into work today. 
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back