Torpedo III Build Thread
Oct 1, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #272 of 322
  I just bought a pair of these. I heard they're really good though.

I coincidentally bought a pair today as well.
I guess there's two version of the GE 5 star

6072 and 6072A, I guess the "A" signifies low noise, idk....

I bought just the 6072 5 star, couldn't find it nos either, so bought used old stock  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Important thing is the design imo, the 3 mica is unique to the 5 star as far as I've seen.

Interesting read on the 5 star brand http://www.tubebooks.org/tubedata/GE_5star.pdf

Oct 1, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #273 of 322
Yeah, the output CCS are really game changers for this amp.  Before the output CCS I thought it was one of the best values in tube amps.  Afterwards, it's simply one of the best tube amps, period, regardless of price.  

I have no doubt of that. I've really enjoyed mine and have great respect for both Tom and Doug. I'm not sure it's he remembers it but I was one of the guys testing his initial HPDAC. Cool little project from the old days. :)

Oct 2, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #274 of 322

Yeah, the output CCS are really game changers for this amp.  Before the output CCS I thought it was one of the best values in tube amps.  Afterwards, it's simply one of the best tube amps, period, regardless of price.  

I have no doubt of that. I've really enjoyed mine and have great respect for both Tom and Doug. I'm not sure it's he remembers it but I was one of the guys testing his initial HPDAC. Cool little project from the old days.
smily_headphones1.gif

You've tested and prototyped just about everyone's designs at one time or another!
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #275 of 322

You've tested and prototyped just about everyone's designs at one time or another!
wink.gif

Maybe :)

I haven't worked with Ti directly yet. I would if he asked me, but it's not like that kind of thing would happen. I might have to spend time on some other sites for that to happen and troll the amb forum. :p

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #276 of 322
I've just started looking into the Torpedo III - any idea when the cinemags will be available again?

Oct 21, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #278 of 322
  I've just started looking into the Torpedo III - any idea when the cinemags will be available again?

There are a few assembled T3's still available, but the last kit was sold.

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #280 of 322
Since everything else is available separately, I'm only concerned about the cinemags, not the kit.  ECP used to sell them separately but the site says "out of stock".  From what I can gather these are not a stock item for cinemag - or are they?  If they're custom, I assume they could easily make more - are there enough builders out there interested in a group buy?

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #281 of 322
Since everything else is available separately, I'm only concerned about the cinemags, not the kit.  ECP used to sell them separately but the site says "out of stock".  From what I can gather these are not a stock item for cinemag - or are they?  If they're custom, I assume they could easily make more - are there enough builders out there interested in a group buy?

1. There are no more Group Buys allowed on Head-Fi.

2. You will need to contact ECP Audio. The windings are a proprietary arrangement between ECP Audio and Cinemag. They are not stock, as far as I know.

3. I have no more Cinemags.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #282 of 322

2. You will need to contact ECP Audio. The windings are a proprietary arrangement between ECP Audio and Cinemag. They are not stock, as far as I know.

Thanks - no more plans to obtain more then?

Oct 22, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #283 of 322

Thanks - no more plans to obtain more then?

We've been looking at a different mfr because of physical quality (not sound) issues with the Cinemags. Not sure how that's going to work out yet - or whether we will go back to the Cinemags again. Unfortunately, it will take some time and testing.

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #284 of 322
OK.  I'll stay tuned - thanks

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #285 of 322
  OK.  I'll stay tuned - thanks

I believe Dsavitsk has one more pair of Cinemags that he may be sending me.  If I can make one last kit out of it, I'll let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back