Torn between Westone 4/EX1000/IE80/HD650
Jan 22, 2012 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Hexd3

New Head-Fier
Hello head-fi!

So I recently purchased the Westone 4's and have been listening to them (un-amped) for almost 2 weeks.  I am coming from a pair of relatively bass heavy IEMs (xears XE200PROs) and am enjoying every part of the increased clarity that I get from.  I'm still getting used to the lesser quantity of bass, although its very detailed.  I find myself turning the volume much louder, although It does not seem too loud in any part of the sound, im guessing this is a power issue and also a result of the neutral sound. I miss some of the boom and bass I once heard (its getting better) but i'm trying to adapt seeing as how every other part of the westone's are sounding great to my ears.  However when I bought them I was still on the fence (and still am) of a few other IEMs/headphones.  Don't get me wrong I love the westone 4's, the bass is slowly growing on me but I am just wondering If i'd be happier with another set.. 

I got my initial research out of joker's dedicated IEM thread and was also eyeing the IE80/Sony EX1000's (and the MTPG for that matter) because I was under the impression that dynamics push out more bass then a BA product while still providing a good overall sound. Although sound is more important than price to me,  I can get roughly 40-50% off of the retail price for all of the previously mentionend IEMs through work, unlike the westone 4's, but I would sacrifice money for the best sound.  I can still get a full refund from amazon for the Westone 4's, so I am torn.  Are the EX1000's inbetween the bass of the IE80 and W4? Perhaps lower then all of them? Does it seem like I would be happier with another pair? I listen to a wide variety of music, prog rock/metal, post-rock, some hip-hop and electronica (mainly house) all the way to the occasional classical type/laid back jazz piece (Chet Baker/Miles Davis). I try to aquire FLAC's of all my music, or at the very least 320 MP3s.

Also.. to throw another thing into the mix I recently heard a pair of 50 dollar panasonic headphones and was immediatly suprised by the warmth and bass/sound of them as compared to IEMs (they are all i've listened too).  Considering I can get the same 40-50% off of a pair of HD650's it made this thought process even harder.  I know its hard to compare IEMs and full cans but I can't help but think if all along a full headphone sound is what im looking for.  The convenience of IEMs attracts me, as well as the option to be nearly anywhere and listen without having to worry about the source as much and if I can use an amp, which I know I would have to do with the 650s. Should I consider these  cans for my purposes?

Thanks for reading this hunk o' text, any insight you can give would be great!

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #2 of 13
What about westone 3? Has more bass than w4.
"The bass has lots of weight – the W3 is easily the most bass-heavy armature-based earphone I’ve heard."
-joker

IE80 is definetely a warm and bass oriented iem but still offering plenty of detail. Worth giving a try if you are into that type of sound.

I can´t comment on the EX1000, but EX600 was to cold and boring to me. From what I´ve read Sony´s EX1000 are even a bit more on the brighter side than the EX600.

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 13
I guess i'll forget the sony's then.  As for the IE80, I have owned low end CX-300's before when I first got into IEMs and was happy with the quality of the product, i'm tempted to order them and give them a try but I'd like more opinions first before I decide to get those over the W3.

I was under the impression that the extra driver in the w4's would be only better.

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #4 of 13
I feel like if I was going to go for the W3 then why not avoid the fit issues and just go with a dynamic IEM instead?  At that point according to joker's review it seems as though I lose the advantages of a BA ( and frankly everything i love about the w4 ) due to it emulating the bass of a dynamic. Maybe im wrong. 

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #5 of 13
This may go against conventional thought here but if you really like the sound and the bass (save the quantity), why not just bump up the bass a tad with equalizer? Also, try to give yourself just a little more time with them. You would be surprised how much the sound can grow on you.

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #6 of 13
fixing it with an EQ just didnt sit well with me, thanks for the tip though.  They are indeed growing on me though, although i'd hate to be passively compensating the sound just to feel better about my purchase.  I know the ear has to adjust, but I think I would prefer a a little more low end bass, other then that the W4s are perfect to my ears.  Reading more into the W3 it seems like it would solve the bass issue but I would hate to lose any of the clarity, and the fit issues scare me.

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #7 of 13
I like the TF10. It has plenty of bass and clarity. The downside is the fit which is not as comfortable, especially compared to IE80.

Another suggestion is the Atrio MG7 which is on sale for $100. I haven't received mine yet but if you go to the MG7 threads, you'll get more of an idea how they sound and they are known for tremendous quantity and quality of bass.

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 13
I have considered them, and I do like the monster warranty. I'd probably go for the tributes over the others, seeing as how its considered to have the best of both worlds (bass/clarity).  If I wanted the sound of the westone 4's only with more prominent bass would they be better then the w3?

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #10 of 13
Coming from the CX-300's myself,  I now own the IE8's and the W3's and love them both.  Plenty of bass, fun sound.

I came to appreciate the EX600's sound after spending some time with them, but the fit just wasn't good for me.  I find the IE8's and W3's much more comfortable.  So i suppose I'd recommend those. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
I have considered them, and I do like the monster warranty. I'd probably go for the tributes over the others, seeing as how its considered to have the best of both worlds (bass/clarity).  If I wanted the sound of the westone 4's only with more prominent bass would they be better then the w3?

Neither the w3 or any of the monsters or ie8 / hd650 sound much like the w4s sound signature !, All of those do have more prominent bass though .The westone 3 will give you the best clarity ,closest to the w4 out of the iem's but the others still  have very good clarity and micro details .

If you are sensitive to strong bright forceful treble than the tributes would be the better choice .
happy_face1.gif

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Reading more into the W3 it seems like it would solve the bass issue but I would hate to lose any of the clarity, and the fit issues scare me.

What fit issues are you referring to? I have never had a problem with my W3. It is one of the most comfortable IEMs I've worn with great ergonomics. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Are the EX1000's inbetween the bass of the IE80 and W4? Perhaps lower then all of them? Does it seem like I would be happier with another pair?

I just purchased the EX1000s and couldn't be happier. 

I have heard the IE8 (similar bass to the IE80s) and the W4.  Yes, you are right: it falls in-between with bass quality.  In my opinion, the EX1000s are a truly exceptional headphone.  The high frequencies are perfect in my opinion; they make the IEM balanced more like the W4 and less like the warm IE8.  It quickly climbed the ranks of SQ and sound signature after only a couple hours of listening to them.

Let me put it to you this way: I absolutely love my FX700s; they are my favorite universal IEMs by far.  The EX1000s are the only IEMs that have ever made me think that there may be a superior universal IEM (pay attention to the "may" as I haven't had enough hours with them to make a definitive decision).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back