Toranku's Thoughts and Reviews (and target EQ filters!)
Oct 9, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #1,441 of 1,546
I would like to see a move toward simplicity and coherency. Let's assume it's not possible for an 11 mm DD to correctly cover the whole audible frequency range with proper tonality. It seems that's the case, at least as you go toward TOTL.

Why not have a DD cover say 20 hz to 8,000 hz and have a BA cover the rest? Dynamics and timbre - what a DD excels at and a BA sucks at - matters much less at the higher frequencies.

I haven't however seen this simple kind of hybrid, nor such a high crossover point. Instead you get a crossover somewhere in the mids that invariably makes them sound wonky.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #1,442 of 1,546
Driver count to a certain extent seems to be driven by marketing considerations rather than technical necessity? Just look at IEMs like UERM, Viento-B, SH-3 with three or four drivers that consistently are rated alongside the best higher count models (even on technical merits). Single drivers can also objectivly perform very well in terms of measurable technicalities AFAIK- for instance transient response, distortion, FR extension.
Not to forget a single vented Comet can sound fuller than chifi iems.

Oct 10, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #1,443 of 1,546
Neutral with a touch of warmth. Will be interested to hear your take on the NM2s.
The NM2+ has mostly a neutral sound signature, but with a little more mid bass than true neutral. I wouldn‘t really characterize it as warm or cool. I am astounded by how capable this single DD IEM sounds. It’s so very realistic in it’s portrayal of acoustic instruments in particular, as well as imaging and ambience. I posted some impressions on the NF Audio forum.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nf-audio-impression-thread.923589/post-15910341

Oct 11, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #1,444 of 1,546
Can anyone confirm that Toranku uses a Shanling M5S dap? It’s in his signature but figure it might be outdated.

Also, is the M9 in his top IEMs?

Oct 11, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #1,445 of 1,546

20BE8D54-9DFF-4E7C-8D9D-E850538082D8.jpeg

...aka it has no engagement factor. It’s one of those IEMs that’s very hard to knock, and is easy to listen to because of its warmth (the campfire reference) but that is boring in the long run (don’t even want to sit around).

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #1,447 of 1,546
Can anyone confirm that Toranku uses a Shanling M5S dap? It’s in his signature but figure it might be outdated.

There was an intense discussion about sources some months ago in this thread, I took a mental note that both Toranku and Crinacle are evaluating IEMs with mid level sources, and I take that into account. Does not change the fact that I trust both, and rely on their opinions. For me, Crinacle establishes a base line, but I wait for Toranku and others to write more about an IEM before I even consider buying it.

M9 was in Toranku's top list, but I think he took it off a few weeks ago.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tor...ws-and-target-eq-filters.895832/post-14889566
I have the M9, and find his description to be quite spot-on. I originally used the Chord Mojo, but the Hugo 2 takes it a step up, with better bass control, texture and extension, better detail, speed, definition all around.
Many people state that they have to adapt to the M9, and I had to as well. I had a DUNU Luna for testing when I received the M9, and it's the antithesis of the M9. Not balanced, but rather focused on upper mids to mid bass, with huge dynamics, and a bit uneven frequency response. Very engaging, yet not very balanced. Painting a huge picture in bold colors and big brush strokes, not too worried about accuracy, really about impression. The M9 in comparison paints a much more precise image, in a much more refined way, with lots of details, inviting to explore. I'd like to have both :wink:

You use the HD800S as you avatar - I recently tested OE headphones and got to listen to the HD800S.
I immediately felt familiar with the sound presentation, to me the M9 and HD800S have a lot in common.
Soundstage, imaging and detail are excellent on both. HD800S has a bigger soundstage, like "life size", M9 to me had the same or very similar imaging, but on a smaller scale, presenting a miniature version of the music. Think orchestra in chamber music room. Detail was also better defined in the HD800S, sharper. M9 is a touch rounder and warmer. For me the M9 was literally the "pocket version" of the HD800S with a little warmer, smaller and softer presentation, but pretty close.
Tested with the Hugo 2.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #1,448 of 1,546
1602938226176.png

Oriveti OH800 is with me.
Early impressions: This can't sound sibilant with kpop tracks.

Additional impressions: swapped with a balance cable to run with 9038s, a quite high jump in overall resolutions. Very very very well tuned. I think the tuner has some kpops genre in mind during the tuning, it almost has zero flaw in kpop tracks. Really smooth top end with excellent resolution from mids to highs. The bass probably not the best in the sub region but very good in the mid and upper bass. Bass region is not super fast to sound unnatural but not even slow. This sounds faster than M9 midbass from my mind and the pinna and highs are actually better than M9. The subbass probably what M9 did better. With overall of 4 5hours of listening a lot of tracks, i can say Oriveti did tune this superbly musical with great technicalities. High praise on vocals both male and female sounds very clean and has weight to carry the emotions.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #1,449 of 1,546
I just received a recommendation from Stars Picker regarding Oriveti OH800. Probably will go to their store anytime next month. @toranku if u ever heard of this let me know!
Please let me know as well once you get a chance to audition OH800! I am curious about and would love to hear from you on its sound sig, tonality a lot and comparisons to some well known ones like Solaris, M9, U12T. Thanks so much!

Oct 20, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #1,450 of 1,546
Please let me know as well once you get a chance to audition OH800! I am curious about and would love to hear from you on its sound sig, tonality a lot and comparisons to some well known ones like Solaris, M9, U12T. Thanks so much!
Sure. Just keep in mind, havent heard of Solaris in months (the best i can is just recalling, might not accurate but "okay")
So far, from past few days, OH800 tonality is top-tier. Balance across the frequency with a caveat of subbass rolled off quite early. I like it with IEMatch, give a sense of space better. Imaging is quite left and right, not really pin pointing. The resolutions somehow really good. I can hear more details than M9.

I'll make a full review. Making it right now by updating each time i find the goods and the bads.

Oct 22, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #1,452 of 1,546
How does the Sony M7/M9 perform for metal? I know an all-BA IEM like the Fearless S8 is excellent for this genre.

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #1,453 of 1,546
Eh the M9 is a stage monitor first and foremost. I would use it more for that or mixing rather than listening.

That said, their open hat BAs move a lot of air surprisingly.

Oct 24, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #1,454 of 1,546
Hey all, sorry for disappearing for the past few months. I've lost a lot of interest in trying out new gear since I am satisfied with what I have. Focusing on the music itself definitely has shaped how I view this as a hobby. I know some of you are curious with what I think about whatever new IEM is released but please don't bother waiting for what I have to say. I will attempt something related to personal audio that is out of my comfort zone, but I will refrain from releasing any detail about it until it is more or less finalized.

I have also been busy trying to start a business unrelated to audio, but I think my audio journey does not end here. Hopefully.

I still use it till this day!

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Oct 24, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #1,455 of 1,546
FWIW, while I always value your input, @toranku, when I post a question on this general IEM thread, I’m really looking for answers/responses from anyone who follows this thread. We all go through phases from extreme interest (perhaps obsession) to little interest/being too busy with life, so we can’t expect anyone to remain UTD with the hobby at all times, unless it is a job for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back