Toranku's Thoughts and Reviews (and target EQ filters!)
Mar 30, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #196 of 1,546
In spite of some muddled bass and rolled off treble, I love the midrange of the E5000, especially for acoustic recordings at bedtime. Any comparison between it and the B1?

E5000 carries a heavier tone with more warmth (and bass) than B1. B1 also has more lower treble to balance the spectrum - leading to more perceived clarity. While E5000 may not be as competent as the B1, I think it excels in it's soothing, warm midrange. Final has never been a brand that produces the most technically competent earphone on the market. They're always about coherency and tone.

I like the overall tonal balance of the E5000 more; its unique. B1 frankly sounds quite uninspiring. However I guess the cool thing about B1 is that the midrange does not have a BA timbre quality to it. The extra BA tweeter really helps with the very much severely lacking extension.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Mar 30, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #197 of 1,546
i understand, i was just curious what is for you a good earphone, like a reference point of view

Good is easy to answer. Stuff like qdc's gemini, noble's newest flagship Khan, Andromeda and xelento can be thought of immediately. But whether I personally like the whole tonal balance is another thing. Tone is usually the more important factor over technicalities for me but the tone should not end up as a compromise in the process. As someone who writes these type of content, my job is to be essentially a snob and critique - because that's what people really want to know. I should really just comment whether it's enjoyable for me personally from now on

Last edited:
Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Mar 30, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #198 of 1,546
@toranku if you had to pick one IEM right now, and it's your only one you can use, what's your choice?

Mar 30, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #199 of 1,546
First Impressions: Hidition Violet

Here comes the underdog of Day 1 CanJam. From my tone you can see from a mile away that I am excited to talk about this earphone. Hidition is a CIEM maker hailing from Korea. They started off in the hearing aid industry and have been dipping their toes in CIEM for a while now. One thing about Hidition is that they are highly consistent - I can't think of any earphone in their track record to be objectively bad. In fact their track record has been getting better the more earphones they release. Anyway, onto the sound.

The Violet is a balanced sounding IEM with a bass boost, slight upper midrange lift with great treble extension. The Violet rumbles, which is tough considering even multi-BA setups fail to recreate. Midbass sees a slight boost which adds warmth to the tonal balance and gives it a greater punch to the track. I do think it has slight midbass bloat - the midbass image is larger than usual but certainly still in a healthy range. It does not sound sloppy and not at all muddy to me.

The mids of the Violet are well balanced, with perhaps a slight edge towards the uppermidrange. Guitars have decent crunch and bite whilst retaining body. Vocals are a tinge warm and have very decent body - it reminds me of the NocturnaL Atlantis. I don't hear any sibilance or shoutiness. Vocals and guitars are always slightly leading in front.

Treble is one of the most difficult parts to tune and I think the Violet is well executed here. While the tone of the treble is not 100% spot on for me (nothing really is), it does have extension into the upper treble. I do think the lower treble can be slightly too much for some actually. As such, cymbals have adequate shine and not an overly crispy shimmer. The more I hear its cymbals, the more I appreciate the extension. The cymbals might not be very natural sounding but for what it is, I think it deserves praise here.

The Violet reminds me of Atlantis but even more extended on both ends. Need to listen to this again.

Last edited:

Mar 30, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #200 of 1,546
@toranku if you had to pick one IEM right now, and it's your only one you can use, what's your choice?

Feeling tired after a long day. Perhaps EX800ST with a bass boost EQ?

Mar 30, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #202 of 1,546
First Impressions: Hidition Violet

Here comes the underdog of Day 1 CanJam. From my tone you can see from a mile away that I am excited to talk about this earphone. Hidition is a CIEM maker hailing from Korea. They started off in the hearing aid industry and have been dipping their toes in CIEM for a while now. One thing about Hidition is that they are highly consistent - I can't think of any earphone in their track record to be objectively bad. In fact their track record has been getting better the more earphones they release. Anyway, onto the sound.

The Violet is a balanced sounding IEM with a bass boost, slight upper midrange lift with great treble extension. The Violet rumbles, which is tough considering even multi-BA setups fail to recreate. Midbass sees a slight boost which adds warmth to the tonal balance and gives it a greater punch to the track. I do think it has slight midbass bloat - the midbass image is larger than usual but certainly still in a healthy range. It does not sound sloppy and not at all muddy to me.

The mids of the Violet are well balanced, with perhaps a slight edge towards the uppermidrange. Guitars have decent crunch and bite whilst retaining body. Vocals are a tinge warm and have very decent body - it reminds me of the NocturnaL Atlantis. I don't hear any sibilance or shoutiness. Vocals and guitars are always slightly leading in front.

Treble is one of the most difficult parts to tune and I think the Violet is well executed here. While the tone of the treble is not 100% spot on for me (nothing really is), it does have extension into the upper treble. I do think the lower treble can be slightly too much for some actually. As such, cymbals have adequate shine and not an overly crispy shimmer. The more I hear its cymbals, the more I appreciate the extension. The cymbals might not be very natural sounding but for what it is, I think it deserves praise here.

The Violet reminds me of Atlantis but even more extended on both ends. Need to listen to this again.

Hidition Violet was the star of the show for me. Carries the same strong focus on being technical sounding as their previous CIEMs but taken up a notch. Supposedly their new "reference" IEM according to Hidition themselves, and I don't see why not.

Mar 31, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #204 of 1,546
So i've asked @toranku for permission to post my impressions from canjam on his thread and he has kindly given his assent, so here goes - hope people will find this useful:

Kumitate Labs Proto 2.1 (?)
This is the 2nd version of the KL Proto, with a configuration of 1DD+3BA, which is different from the original Proto which was 1DD+2BA. Ito told me that the main purpose of this difference was to get greater dynamics and a more full-bodied sound. Naturally, the Proto is still a work in progress. My general impressions are that it is a sub-bass heavy signature, a bit too much for me (but something bass lovers will enjoy) The treble extension I find not to be complete, as some of the higher frequencies get drowned out, but of high quality – vocals sound really good on this. I found the entire package to sound quite a fair bit better to me on the 2nd listen.

Kumitate Labs REF
I did not spend much time with this, and the only thoughts I have is that the Proto is better in almost every way – I find the REF to be lacking in resolution and the entire package could be more tight – having said that, that is probably a result of me preferring a more technically-focused IEM.

Final new B-series –
B1 1DD+1BA
B2 1BA
B3 2BA

I will be trying to listen to more of this once it comes out around June-July as the reps told me – unfortunately I did not have much time to listen to it, but it is a rather different take compared to the E-series. I find the B1 to take similarities to the Sony N3, without the bass bleed that is a problem with the N3. The B2 suitably impressed me with a much wider and more expansive sound that I have not heard from a single BA in awhile. I will need more time with these to give more accurate impressions.

Acoustune 1690TI
Alongside with the 1650WH, these are 2 upcoming single-DD IEMs, with the 1650WH using a different material from the original 1650. The 1690TI uses the same 4th gen 14mm dynamic driver previously used, and uses Pentaconn connectors which they say reduces noise and wear and tear. One of the big criticisms I have had of the 1650 and 1670 was that they sounded off in tonality and often felt metallic and with an unnatural edge. The 1690TI sounds more natural and is more controlled in comparison, with a less forward and brazen presence, which I find to be a good change.

Audiofly
This is the first time I've heard their offerings, and I have mixed feelings about their performance – these are not particularly outstanding in any means, yet not incompetent – perhaps it is a result of being in such a competitive market with so many outstanding models from everywhere now. I spent some time with their hybrid and their flagship, which they have in addition to a 2BA, 4BA, and 6BA model. Their reps also tell me that their tunings are targeted at different people for each – the 6BA is technically competent, the 8BA is mid-treble forward, the 4BA is flat, etc.

Audiofly 1DD+2BA
The hybrid has a slightly mid-forward presentation, probably somewhat of a downward sloping signature. I would say that it is quite aggressive and in your face. The reps told me that it had a very strong bass, but I could not really feel it, though this could be due to me not being able to get a really good fit with it. I found the treble extension to be sufficient, yet not particularly outstanding.

Audiofly 8BA
Currently only available in custom, this immediately strikes me as treble and mids-forward, similar to the hybrid in that it has a rather aggressive touch to it. I find it to be a relatively standard tuning, with the bass seemingly recessed in contrast to some of the more bass-boosted tunings that are becoming popular in pure-BA IEMs. In that respect I have no particular strong feelings on it, as they do not strike me as being extremely clean or highly resolving, in comparison to offerings from qdc or even 64.

Vision Ears Elysium
This is VE’s stab at a hybrid – 2 electrostatic drivers, 1 BA and 1 DD. What’s special about these is that unlike what you would expect, the BA is used for the bass, and the DD is used for mids. This is both good and bad: the bass of the Elysium is not overpowering and is tight and controlled, while lacking the rumble that DDs usually bring to the table. The mids are lush, yet sometimes feel a bit boomy – this could be the DD, in comparison to some of the more coherent BA IEMs on the market. The treble was present, but not brilliant – but I am told this is due to the Elysium needing a lot of power to drive, which I did not have at the time. Overall, the Elysium is a refreshing take from VE, and a move away from their more professionally-driven line-up, this would be a “fun tuning” that is enjoyable to listen to.

Dita Dream XLS
This is the successor to the Dita Dream, and uses the same dynamic driver, but upgraded in some way that I was unable to figure out. I remember finding the original Dream very easy on the ear and extremely smooth. I find the new XLS version to retain this quality, but with improved resolution. I was pleasantly surprised by the resolution of this IEM, and it has a very slight V-shaped sound, less so than the original Dream. Overall, this is a very enjoyable IEM to listen to and would be great for casual and easy listening – the market that Dita targets anyway.

Hidition Violet
This is the upcoming flagship of Hidition, an 11BA monster that quite frankly was the star of the show to me. It builds on the successes of the NT6 and the Viento-R, providing a very competent package that sounds amazing (did I mention the shells look absolutely beautiful as well?). The bass presence is outstanding for a BA-only IEM, and there is clarity and resolution in spades. I also have heard some who said the treble quality is not quite right, i.e. does not faithfully reproduce recordings, but I find them to render instruments, especially strings, beautifully. I was drawn back for a 2nd listen on day 2 after being blown away on day 1, and boy these do not disappoint.

Mar 31, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #205 of 1,546
Hey guys, have any of you compared the Violet to the NT6 (that I owned)? I wonder why they put this out just after NT8

Yep - The Violet is quite a bit thicker than the NT6, even the NT6 pro - the bass response is much more, and the presentation is a fair bit more forward. I find that the treble sparkle still remains though. I think the NT8 is the outlier in their releases and has been out for a year or so now so I don't think its that congested of a release?

Mar 31, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #206 of 1,546
Hey guys, have any of you compared the Violet to the NT6 (that I owned)? I wonder why they put this out just after NT8

In terms of detail retrieval, I find them to be comparable with the Violet edging out with slightly more extension in the highs. The Violet has a more natural sounding bass with slight mid-bass bump, which also helps for a easier and fatigue-free listening. That said, I purchased the NT6 because the perceived clarity is higher and the mids sounded more open. When I buy Hidition, I want the Hidition house sound and to me, the NT6 is that, with all its strengths and quirkiness.

Mar 31, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #207 of 1,546
Damn, really excited to try out the Violet. How is the fit on the universal version? (I've found the fit of their past universals to be pretty awful personally, which is a shame because their CIEMs are excellent)

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #208 of 1,546
Damn, really excited to try out the Violet. How is the fit on the universal version? (I've found the fit of their past universals to be pretty awful personally, which is a shame because their CIEMs are excellent)

I had the same issue with the universal demos for NT6/8 and Viento. Violet was much more comfortable, seems like a revised shape. Still not perfect like QDC or InEar stuff but better than their old shape.

Mar 31, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #209 of 1,546
I’m curious; are there any common qualities noted in the new wave of e-stat tweeter iems? (Other than high price?)
I am intrigued by the Hidition Violet. Confirming it is for sale as a universal?

Mar 31, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #210 of 1,546
I’m curious; are there any common qualities noted in the new wave of e-stat tweeter iems? (Other than high price?)
I am intrigued by the Hidition Violet. Confirming it is for sale as a universal?

Based on their past IEMs, the Violet should be available as both a CIEM and a universal. (They're kinda like Custom Art in that regard, where you get to customize the universal fit IEMs just like you would a custom.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back