Topping NX4
Dec 12, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #46 of 448
Guys, the NX4 does not support DSD decoding right? I know my phone does (Samsung Note 8).

So when I connect my phone via USB to the NX4, and I can hear a DSD song, what is going on? Is my phone decoding it first then sending it via USB to the NX4? I am using Poweramp Alpha.
This is what it says on Poweramp Alpha when playing the song - 1 Bit 352.8KHZ 5644KBPS dsd_lsbf_planar.

Now I'm wondering if I'm somehow bypassing the NX4 DAC even for regular PCM songs.

are you are you sure it's not using DoP? Many players use DoP or maybe the NX4 didn't support DSD over PCM..

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #47 of 448
hi guys wanna ask

i got samsung s7e does this dac/amp nx4 can be played with it ? try buy fiio k1 and doesn't work

so frustrated

and anyone use this with logitech ue900s? how's the sound?

Jan 7, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #49 of 448
Jan 8, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #50 of 448
Jan 23, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #52 of 448
i can vouch for the topping nx4

currently enjoying topping nx4 with ue900s with double flange spin fit cp-230 with s7 edge dap

its can bypass s7e dac just fine and the sound

definietly bassier (dunno because of eartips or topping nx4 tough)

and treble more soft on me

but the vocal mid sounds a little laidback but for accoustic tough

for casual music this is just so heavenly setup

nice

26815416_10213005497504965_8386648430130043965_n.jpg

Feb 2, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #53 of 448
My thoughts on the NX4 DSD:

IMG_20180202_142954.jpg

Use:

- macOS High Sierra -> Tidal HiFi -> Fiio EX1 2nd gen (16 Ohm) / VSONIC GR07 Bass Edition (50 Ohm) / Sennheiser HD 6XX (300 Ohm)
- Nexus 6P (Android 8.1.0) -> Tidal HiFi -> Fiio EX1 2nd gen (16 Ohm) / VSONIC GR07 Bass Edition (50 Ohm) / Sennheiser HD 6XX (300 Ohm)

Product:
Product is well build and looks good. Quality volume pot (Alps). LEDs are subtle. Can drive low impedance IEMs, and also high impedance headphones with authority.
I do wish it could run without depleting the internal battery when connected to a computer via USB (like iFi Micro iDSD BL, one intelligent USB port vs 2 separate ports). Plug-and-play on both my Mac and Nexus 6P. Comes with a bunch of accessories including all cables needed.

Sound:
Clear, detailed, slightly warm sound signature. Can reveal floor noise of recordings easily. No noise at all, even with low impedance IEMs. Good timbre/tone. Highs extend and can be slightly fatiguing with modern recordings. Vocals are pretty layed back. Average soundstage.

Summary:
Very good portable DAC/Amp; especially for the price. Good implementation of the Sabre ES9038 and nice design. Prefer sound signature of this over ES9018 based DACs I own (less glare).

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #54 of 448
My thoughts on the NX4 DSD:

- macOS High Sierra -> Tidal HiFi -> Fiio EX1 2nd gen (16 Ohm) / VSONIC GR07 Bass Edition (50 Ohm) / Sennheiser HD 6XX (300 Ohm)
- Nexus 6P (Android 8.1.0) -> Tidal HiFi -> Fiio EX1 2nd gen (16 Ohm) / VSONIC GR07 Bass Edition (50 Ohm) / Sennheiser HD 6XX (300 Ohm)

How does this NX4 DSD compare to your SMSL sApII Pro driving the Sennheisers?

The headamp specs of the Topping are intriguing: 114mW at 300 Ohms load.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #55 of 448
How does this NX4 DSD compare to your SMSL sApII Pro driving the Sennheisers?

The headamp specs of the Topping are intriguing: 114mW at 300 Ohms load.

The SMSL sApII Pro is a more powerful amplifier. Nevertheless the NX4 DSD is more then powerful enough to drive the Senns. For most recordings the volume is at 40-50% with low gain set. Recordings with a high dynamic range (e.g.: classical) around 60% or so. This with both the player and computer (DAC) volume on max. The Sennheiser HD6XX/650 are not that difficult to drive IMHO. The difference in between the two amps lays more in sound signature. Bass is slightly more present with the NX4 DSD.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #56 of 448
Right now i am between Topping NX4DSD vs Xduoo xd-05 vs Onkyo DAC-HA200 .
Any thoughs on them guys?

I just picked up the NX4 and can’t imagine there is much better for $110. I have been primarily using it with my Hifiman He400i connected via USB to my Pixel 2 and streaming from Google Play Music. I won’t try and describe the sound except to say that it’s awesome to my ears. The only other headphone amp I have used prior to this is the Audioengine D1 I have connected to my computer. The NX4 blows the D1 that away in terms of driving the 400i and filling out the low end of the sounds while not sacrificing the mids and highs.

I also have a set of AKG K550 which the NX4 has brought new life to. The bass boost is great with the k550. That said, I haven’t used the K550 as much because the 400i are beast.

I am very happy with the NX4 and have no problem recommending it. If the NX4 DSD is an improvement on the original it sounds like a winner to me.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #57 of 448
Hello,

I'm looking for a portable DAC / Amplifier that can be used in Android and Windows 10, I'm between this topping NX4 and Fiio Q1 Mark II, both cost me exactly the same price 100 dollars, which I recommend and why? I would use it with the headphones in ear xiaomi hybrid pro and in the future with a good over ear V-fashion crossfade m-100 or Audio Technica Msr7.

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #58 of 448
I've never used the Q1, but I own the NX4. I'm very happy with it. It drives my Etymotic HF5s on low gain without noise and has enough power on high gain to handle my HD600s. Connectivity with my Mac, iPhone 5s and Moto G4 is good. It also works nicely with the line-out from my Fiio X1 DAP. Compared with some of my other DAC/Amp combinations, it seems to be perhaps slightly on the warmer side of neutral.

Comparing the specs, it looks like the NX4 has considerably more power, can swing more voltage and has longer battery life than the Q1. The Q1 seems to offer more features in terms of DSD, balanced out and such. Also, it looks like the Q1 uses a single USB input for data and power, whereas the NX4 has separate ports for power and data.
Also, the NX4 seems to get better ratings on Amazon, though they're both relatively small sample sizes so I take that with a grain of salt.

Hello,

I'm looking for a portable DAC / Amplifier that can be used in Android and Windows 10, I'm between this topping NX4 and Fiio Q1 Mark II, both cost me exactly the same price 100 dollars, which I recommend and why? I would use it with the headphones in ear xiaomi hybrid pro and in the future with a good over ear V-fashion crossfade m-100 or Audio Technica Msr7.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #59 of 448
I've never used the Q1, but I own the NX4. I'm very happy with it. It drives my Etymotic HF5s on low gain without noise and has enough power on high gain to handle my HD600s. Connectivity with my Mac, iPhone 5s and Moto G4 is good. It also works nicely with the line-out from my Fiio X1 DAP. Compared with some of my other DAC/Amp combinations, it seems to be perhaps slightly on the warmer side of neutral.

Comparando las especificaciones, parece que el NX4 tiene mucha más potencia, puede oscilar más voltaje y tiene una duración de batería más larga que el Q1. El Q1 parece ofrecer más características en términos de DSD, equilibrado y tal. Además, parece que el Q1 usa una única entrada USB para datos y alimentación, mientras que el NX4 tiene puertos separados para alimentación y datos.
Además, el NX4 parece obtener mejores calificaciones en Amazon, aunque ambos son tamaños de muestra relativamente pequeños, así que lo tomo con un grano de sal. [/ QUOTE]
Hello, thank you very much for answering me, if the truth that you are absolutely right, I was investigating both devices thoroughly and it is true the best thing that the NX4 has is that it has both connections separated and the fiio q1 mark ii no, then I got tired of Read reports that the battery is drained by having both connections in one place.
What I am looking for is a bit more power, better sound quality and to be able to experience bass mode than a traditional smartphone or a notebook, the difference is clearly seen from the 3 points that I mention?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #60 of 448
I already have the FiiO Q1 Mkii and whilst this is a good sounding, compact unit and powers the MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open acceptably, I feel yet more power headroom is required. I prefer full-size headphones to IEM's. So, I have managed to locate a NX4DSD which should be with me early next week and I'll make some comparisons with the Q1 then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back