Topping NX2 Portable DAC/Amp Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #166 of 277
Did some a/b with NX2 and Geek Out 720 last night and while they both sounds equally good with most music the GO720 has much better separation with music like Mastodon and Celldweller where the NX2 get a bit muddy and compressed with all that's going on there.

Still an excellent device though and I'm really happy that I got one.

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #167 of 277
Did some a/b with NX2 and Geek Out 720 last night and while they both sounds equally good with most music the GO720 has much better separation with music like Mastodon and Celldweller where the NX2 get a bit muddy and compressed with all that's going on there.

Still an excellent device though and I'm really happy that I got one.

Yeah. I agree with the muddy sound part. When it comes to the internal DAC. It handles poorly mastered tracks in a very harsh way. Either the bass is a bit muddy or the treble is a bit too edgy. Otherwise it's pretty impressive.

Mar 21, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #169 of 277
  Received it yesterday, great amp and it's great to have the opportunity to use the DAC when I need to as well. The only sad thing is that the LOD meant for my iPod Touch 2. gen didn't work, have to contact the seller. After what I've read, a LOD should work for all the iPod Touches with a 30-pin connector.  

I have had it now for over a month and used it for about 120-150 hours. I'm VERY pleased with the amp, while the DAC is decent. However, the battery time is insane, I'm actually starting to wonder if the thing is 97% battery and 3% electronics; I charged it today just because I didn't want it to go empty, but I didn't even charge it when I received it. 

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #170 of 277
I have been looking for an amp/dac combo unit for a while now and today I got to borrow an HRT MicroStreamer over the weekend (the deal was that I can test it, and if I like it I keep it, if not I get my money back). Since it's a bit out of my price range (about 200USD here), I started looking around for alternatives. Then this gem popped up on a search on Aliexpress (if it's under 45USD I don't pay taxes on imports). So while I'm not expecting it to compete with a deveice worth 3x-4x as much, I'm wondering if it's a decent choice over crappy phone DACs as well as powering my high impendance headphones (just got myself a pair of DT990 Pros).

So what do peaople think about this device? is it just considered good for the price (being low that is almost a given), or just a good device over all?

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #171 of 277
I have been looking for an amp/dac combo unit for a while now and today I got to borrow an HRT MicroStreamer over the weekend (the deal was that I can test it, and if I like it I keep it, if not I get my money back). Since it's a bit out of my price range (about 200USD here), I started looking around for alternatives. Then this gem popped up on a search on Aliexpress (if it's under 45USD I don't pay taxes on imports). So while I'm not expecting it to compete with a deveice worth 3x-4x as much, I'm wondering if it's a decent choice over crappy phone DACs as well as powering my high impendance headphones (just got myself a pair of DT990 Pros).

So what do peaople think about this device? is it just considered good for the price (being low that is almost a given), or just a good device over all?

It's a good unit. The dac may not be significantly better than the one in the LG G3 or Sony Z3c but it has a lot more power than both of them.

The sound is pretty clean and the biggest negative I can say about it is that it tends to get a bit muddy with music where there's much going on (separation is not top class).

In all a great device (especially for the price) that sound on par with the better phones out there but much more powerful. Whitch Ohm version of the dt990 did you get?

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #172 of 277
It's a good unit. The dac may not be significantly better than the one in the LG G3 or Sony Z3c but it has a lot more power than both of them.

The sound is pretty clean and the biggest negative I can say about it is that it tends to get a bit muddy with music where there's much going on (separation is not top class).

In all a great device (especially for the price) that sound on par with the better phones out there but much more powerful. Whitch Ohm version of the dt990 did you get?

250ohm, and I notice that the HRT at 100% is merely normal listening volume. It's not really that important when I use my phone as I am fairly fond of in-ear units when on the buss and the likes, but I notice that I am not able to pull them as far as I want when on my laptop and tablet. So I figured I would get a unit powerful enough to run them when I first got one. 

That way I don't have to worry so much about swaping out my phone with one with a sub par DAC (like the LG G4, or my current travesty Lumia 640). 

Mar 30, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #173 of 277
250ohm, and I notice that the HRT at 100% is merely normal listening volume. It's not really that important when I use my phone as I am fairly fond of in-ear units when on the buss and the likes, but I notice that I am not able to pull them as far as I want when on my laptop and tablet. So I figured I would get a unit powerful enough to run them when I first got one. 

That way I don't have to worry so much about swaping out my phone with one with a sub par DAC (like the LG G4, or my current travesty Lumia 640). 

I see, the 250 Ohms will most likely be too much for the NX2 I'm afraid.

Mar 30, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #174 of 277
I see, the 250 Ohms will most likely be too much for the NX2 I'm afraid.

I thought so, at any rate I'll probably end up getting it at one point. Just depending on wether or not my next phone has a decent dac or not I guess. I'll make sure to at least bookmark it for then :)

Mar 30, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #175 of 277
According to Topping website NX2 should drive headphones up to 300Ω. Personally I use it with DT770PRO 250ohm and must admit it's a pain sometimes. Acceptable sound is at 8/9 out of 10.

Mar 30, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #176 of 277

Yeah, it's still an excellent device.

Just tried mine with my modded Fostex T50RP and at full volume I get ok listening level but the dynamics are no where near what they should be.....

Apr 16, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #177 of 277
Yesterday I use my NX2 as amp only and was very pleasantly surprised. I'm now convince that it has a better amp section than dac section. Really really good amp!

Apr 17, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #179 of 277
Yesterday I use my NX2 as amp only and was very pleasantly surprised. I'm now convince that it has a better amp section than dac section. Really really good amp!

I agree. The sound is much cleaner and the power is more efficient through the amp than the DAC.

Apr 17, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #180 of 277
Another thing that I've noted is that the DAC section seem to run on the battery from the phone when connected to one. Battery drain is more that usual with the NX2 connected, strange solution imo.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back