Topping NX2 Portable DAC/Amp Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #76 of 277
Hi all, I'm new to this column and I've a question on this Dac/Amp that I hope someone can explain to me, thanks in advance. Said if I'm using an android device that transmit music thru the 3.5mm jack to the earbud, so how will the dac work if my signal from my device is already in analog form? Will it bypass the dac of this NX2?

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #78 of 277
  Just posted this pic in another thread and thought it might be of interest here:

This is an NX2 strapped to a Raspberry Pi running Volumio. There is a Wifi dongle and a USB drive in the back of the Pi (this version of the Pi has 4 USB ports). It connects automatically to my network on start-up so I can control it from a web browser on any device, and I can also play FLACs from my NAS drive if I don't have something on the USB key (which holds TVBR AAC files). In an earlier version of this set-up I used an ODAC and and O2 amp. The NX2 doesn't quite match those, but it's close enough that I don't bother carrying around the extra bulk of the O2/ODAC version from room to room (which is what this little set-up is for). Not bad at all for the price 
biggrin.gif
 (of the Pi, and the NX2).

WOW it drives a HD600? (or 650?)

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #79 of 277
It will drive them but don't expect blistering volume. With more demanding phones low volume in a quite environment would be where I would say they are driven! YMMV but for sure don't get your hopes set too high on the NX2 driving demanding phones to loud.

Apr 17, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #83 of 277
Tried my nx2 with 3 different mobile phones yesterday (xiaomi mi4, motorola motog and lgg3) and it didn't work with any of them. Do I have a faulty unit or sth to be sceptical of? Is there something I have to do besides connecting the amp to my phone?

Purchased from radiocity if that helps at all

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #84 of 277
Apr 20, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #86 of 277
  Awesome!
Thanks @tjw321

I was wondering, why didn't you go the I2C DAC route? 
something like the iqaudio dac+ or hifiberry dac+ ?

Only because I wanted the option to use it elsewhere (e.g. my phone) if I wanted. Everything I've read suggests that the I2C route is superior if it's going to be dedicated to the Pi, but I don't have any first hand knowledge of I2C DACs.

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #87 of 277
  Only because I wanted the option to use it elsewhere (e.g. my phone) if I wanted. Everything I've read suggests that the I2C route is superior if it's going to be dedicated to the Pi, but I don't have any first hand knowledge of I2C DACs.

Then I think the NX2 was a good choice!
You'd have portability and the freedom with the NX2.
Besides, the I2C DAC's aren't that cheap though.
So yeah.  

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #88 of 277
hi guys,

so I read all post but still dont get it, i've been wondering;

can NX2 be used as dac with Laptop or Windows PC as usb sound card? 

I need pc dac amp combo for cheap to drive 32-160 ohm iem/cans

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #90 of 277
Originally Posted by fairx

hi guys,

so I read all post but still dont get it, i've been wondering;

can NX2 be used as dac with Laptop or Windows PC as usb sound card? 

I need pc dac amp combo for cheap to drive 32-160 ohm iem/cans

I have been using my NX2 with my laptop and my pc, it does work like a usb dac. I don't know if the nx2 can drive the 160 ohm cans/iems. The highest ohm headphone I have is 65 ohm and it struggles with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back