Topping NX2 Portable DAC/Amp Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #91 of 277

I have been using my NX2 with my laptop and my pc, it does work like a usb dac. I don't know if the nx2 can drive the 160 ohm cans/iems. The highest ohm headphone I have is 65 ohm and it struggles with those.

thanks!

Well might not really 160ohm, just testing the waters. I don't have high impedance cans yet, I'm just thinking of getting clean sound and a lil bit of amp to prepare for 32<ohm hybrid / dual driver iem investment.

good to know it works well on PC / Laptop. just plug and play in windows 7? how about linux? anybody got experience? I'm thinking to upgrade my ancient XP compaq laptop @ home with 512 ram to linux.

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #93 of 277

I have been using my NX2 with my laptop and my pc, it does work like a usb dac. I don't know if the nx2 can drive the 160 ohm cans/iems. The highest ohm headphone I have is 65 ohm and it struggles with those.

does the usb power the whole thing or will it just charge the battery when used with a pc? If it does not support some sort of smart charging the battery will die pretty soon. 

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #94 of 277
  does the usb power the whole thing or will it just charge the battery when used with a pc? If it does not support some sort of smart charging the battery will die pretty soon. 

Nope no charging. It runs off the battery when used as a usb dac. But since the amp has a very long run time I don't worry about it, when I'm done listening I take the usb out of the dac port and plug it in the charge port.

May 1, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #96 of 277
Long time lurker but man you guys are making me broke just ordered the nx2 to play on my surface pro 2 so I can use my Ultrasone hfi 2200 at school. Let's see how they power those bad boys!

May 1, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #97 of 277
Long time lurker but man you guys are making me broke just ordered the nx2 to play on my surface pro 2 so I can use my Ultrasone hfi 2200 at school. Let's see how they power those bad boys!

Headfi is not for the weak willed .....run ...run .....while you can

Do give some impressions when they come ...cheers

May 19, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #98 of 277

works very well with my ACS customs encores.  Ive used it with my iPhone and ccl  as well as an external dad with my macbook air.   It compares favorably to the geek out 100 , that sells for 4 times more.  At 60 dollars and battery powered I've been very happy.  I may cancel my geek out v2+ order.

Nik

Jun 1, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #99 of 277
Can anyone here compare the NX2 and the E07k briefly? I assume both can drive up to 42ohms, but is there anything else I should know about either, such as hiss?

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #100 of 277
Surprised to see people raving about it here on Head-Fi. Just shows how sceptical you need to be when hearing other peoples opinions.

I've had mine for months and have stopped using it. It sounds pretty flat and dull with all my headphones and IEM's. First of all, it doesn't really have the power to drive full sized headphones, it barely amplifies the signal. The built-in DAC is just awful, can't stand listening to it. With IEM's the output is sufficient, but I don't have any devices that can't drive my IEM's properly anyway, so the only point of this amp would be to get better sound quality, but you don't.

Using it with a Sansa Clip Zip? Sounds better without this amp.

With a FIIO X1? Sounds cleaner without this amp.

With a FIIO X5? Again, sounds MUCH better without this amp plugged in.

With a Galaxy Note 3? Even this mediocre smartphone sounds a tiny bit better without this amp.

What's the point of an amp that:

A: Barely amplifies the signal and can't drive full sized headphones.

B: Doesn't provide better sound quality on any device. Either using it as an amp or as a DAC, it sounds worse when you use it.

Only good thing about it? The battery lasts for weeks. Which isn't surprising considering it doesn't really amplify the signal by a meaningful amount.

Save you money for something better guys. Mine is for sale btw, just ordered an E12.

Jun 2, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #101 of 277
Steely
I think your views are interesting. I think it demonstrates just how differently individuals perceive sound quality. I paid 60 dollars for mine, and use it for my ipad. I prefer its sound to my ipad for listening to Tidal, and that i can use a volume dial instead of a pushbutton or software interface for volume control. Ive only used it for my ACS encore CIEM, so i cant comment on how it drives other headphones.

For my purposes it works fine, and ive preordered a geek out v2+ infinity that i plan to use similarly

Nik

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #103 of 277
Nope. Not even close. I tried the NX2 with 4 different full size headphones, and none of them were driven properly. One of them is an HD650.

And btw, I just got my FIIO E12 today. It's nice. Sounds good, the X5 I'm using it with sounds a tiny bit better without the E12, but only marginally so. Especially the sound stage seems narrower with the E12. But now the volume is perfect. Even with the HE-560's I can't put the volume on max without hurting my ears. Exactly what I was hoping for.

Jul 8, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #105 of 277
  Surprised to see people raving about it here on Head-Fi. Just shows how sceptical you need to be when hearing other peoples opinions.

I've had mine for months and have stopped using it. It sounds pretty flat and dull with all my headphones and IEM's. First of all, it doesn't really have the power to drive full sized headphones, it barely amplifies the signal. The built-in DAC is just awful, can't stand listening to it. With IEM's the output is sufficient, but I don't have any devices that can't drive my IEM's properly anyway, so the only point of this amp would be to get better sound quality, but you don't.

Using it with a Sansa Clip Zip? Sounds better without this amp.

With a FIIO X1? Sounds cleaner without this amp.

With a FIIO X5? Again, sounds MUCH better without this amp plugged in.

With a Galaxy Note 3? Even this mediocre smartphone sounds a tiny bit better without this amp.

What's the point of an amp that:

A: Barely amplifies the signal and can't drive full sized headphones.

B: Doesn't provide better sound quality on any device. Either using it as an amp or as a DAC, it sounds worse when you use it.

Only good thing about it? The battery lasts for weeks. Which isn't surprising considering it doesn't really amplify the signal by a meaningful amount.

Save you money for something better guys. Mine is for sale btw, just ordered an E12.

I've been looking for something to better drive my Takstar Pro 80 when away from home and was think of the nx1.  So in your opinion, would the e11k be a much better investment? My current DAP is currently a Cowon S9 but I've been thinking of getting a Fiio x1 or maybe an x3 by next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back