Mar 13, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #16 of 277
Fancy seeing you here @Podster....have we met before
rolleyes.gif

Congrats @EISENbricher ..young Senpai ...1000+ post now

I'm still kohai :D
Thanks Wokei senpai for showing me path to enlightenment 
etysmile.gif

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #19 of 277
Would like to hear from someone who own both NX1 and NX1...different in sound sig...battery life...if they offer similar sound sig..might consider getting the NX2...why not DAC feature world be a bonus though seldom used in me case...

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #20 of 277
Would like to hear from someone who own both NX1 and NX1...different in sound sig...battery life...if they offer similar sound sig..might consider getting the NX2...why not DAC feature world be a bonus though seldom used in me case...

Keeps yo pants on, my order said between 5-15 days
blink.gif
 Here I am doing it backwards again, in the NX2 thread and just ordered the NX1 to go with my NX2! I'll probably only use my NX2 dac when I travel. My 13 year old Soccer player always calls me nerd once I get our Hotel room setup
rolleyes.gif

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #22 of 277
Oh yea, I'm trying to think what you deserve for instigating this
beerchug.gif

Mar 14, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #23 of 277
I'm seriously impressed with this tiny unit! It doesn't have the same horsepower as my Fiio E12 (on high gain), or the same sort of feeling of it being a top-tier device, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper, has a built-in DAC, is much smaller and lighter, has a WAY better battery life and sounds great with my IEMs.

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the NX2.I was planning to get an E12, but now tempted by the NX2.

How far behind the E12 is the NX2 in terms of sound quality? If the difference isn't huge, the cash saving, DAC and battery life might swing it for me.

Cheers

Mar 16, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #24 of 277
I would be interested in a comparison of UD120 + NX1 vs NX2 :)

decisions...budget... budget... decisions

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #25 of 277
There are opinions that you absolutely don't need to amplify a perfect sounding device like an iPhone ... Unless the power is not enough to drive some headphones which would sound very quiet. But to improve the sound quality is a placebo :)

I'm not a expert but out of my iPad I'm not able to detect any sound improvement with the NX1. + the NX1 is not very powerful so you don't get your music much louder than an iPhone without the NX1 with quiet headphones. So for me it's jus another brick to carry around :) Completely useless.

Does the NX2 has more power?

Mar 18, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #26 of 277
Just to let you know the NX1  joined up with my portable sony mini disc player does go louder compared to the mini disc volume when using my senn hd 580....and to be honest other headphones to...and there is a bit more bass.....this is when on high gain.....low gain don't use it, and don't use ear bud phones.....same for my FiiOE11K.......louder.

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #27 of 277
There are opinions that you absolutely don't need to amplify a perfect sounding device like an iPhone ... Unless the power is not enough to drive some headphones which would sound very quiet. But to improve the sound quality is a placebo
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not a expert but out of my iPad I'm not able to detect any sound improvement with the NX1. + the NX1 is not very powerful so you don't get your music much louder than an iPhone without the NX1 with quiet headphones. So for me it's jus another brick to carry around
smily_headphones1.gif
Completely useless.

Does the NX2 has more power?

I sense something really wrong here. I've seen some people getting wrong impressions that amplifiers 'improve' SQ. What an amplifier really does is to help retain the SQ of source by providing ample current and voltage (together may be termed as power) to drive the headphone.

I'll explain this. Normal sources (iPhone included) come with stock low power driver chips. They surely are able to drive headphones but if you take a look at the waveforms on an oscilloscope you'll notice that the waves get smoothened out, peaks get clipped. This is because source impedance is not low enough to drive the load. Imagine this as any normal neighborhood car with 120bhp engine accelerating. Sure it goes from 0 to 100kph and does it without hassle, but any sports car with 200+ bhp manage same 0 to 100kph stint in shorter time. Same thing happen with headphone's diaphragm. Source is your engine which has to carry the weight of moving diaphragm. Diaphragm, like any other object has weight and hence inertia associated with it. Stronger is your source, faster the diaphragm will move.

To get an easier idea there are lot of frequency response graphs available around. For example take a look on frequency response graph on gsmarena. They provide it without headphone attached, and with headphone attached. There is always a difference. If it's too much then get an idea that the phone's amp if falling short and even if you are getting loud enough volume, you are missing on something. Try it with an amp, bang. There you'll surely see a difference. 

I don't believe that NX1 is so low powered that at max it'll reach only up to iPhone's max level. No way, set NX1 on high gain and it reaches up to decent levels. Some people may want more but it's pretty much sufficient for most headphones.

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #29 of 277

I second that, not unlike a driver tube in a tube amplifier. This is why we crazy people roll tubes
wink_face.gif
 Impedance matching and synergy is what make or break rigs sometimes. This is another example of how the great reviewers out here help us make informed decisions on what to buy to get our best bang for buck and what they have found that really sing together
biggrin.gif
 I can't afford to buy everything that catches my eye but with trusted reviews we can get very close to great right from  the get go
cool.gif

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #30 of 277
Me cheapo Little Bear B-2 amp comes with 5 different op chip which gives me the option to play with and matching different IEM...synergy is an integral part in getting me preferred sound sig...amp gives me the added power not in term of loudness but dynamic and able to bring out more details compared to un-amped.

Though there are times me also use my dap without an amp...certain occasion might not be best to carry a brick around.

Whether amp or no amp...there is no wrong or right...as long as you enjoy your muzak...Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back