TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #1,786 of 2,185
I'm still confused guys, so when comparing laptop + NX1 vs. laptop + NX2, can average listener hear the difference which can justify 25$ price difference?

If the device is to be used solely with your laptop and $25 extra isn't going to prevent this Saturday nights pizza then NX2 is the better option. Solely for the reason you won't be double amping which would be the case with NX1.

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #1,787 of 2,185
If the device is to be used solely with your laptop and $25 extra isn't going to prevent this Saturday nights pizza then NX2 is the better option. Solely for the reason you won't be double amping which would be the case with NX1.

Thanks. It's gonna be used as a portable amp for my smartphone also, but it seems like the amp in the NX2 is identical to the one in NX1.  I also want better performance from my laptop that is why I was curious how much difference the DAC in NX2 makes.

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #1,788 of 2,185
  I'm still confused guys, so when comparing laptop + NX1 vs. laptop + NX2, can average listener hear the difference which can justify 25$ price difference?

Option 1: NX1, just an amp.

Laptop headphone jack >> NX1 (actually, not optimal because you are double amping, the headphone jack is already amped)

Option 2: NX2, an amp and a DAC.

Laptop headphone jack >> NX2 amp section (not optimal, see above)
and
Laptop USB out >> NX2 dac and amp (both sections of the device) -> optimal configuration with NO double amping

If you can give the 25 bucks, go with option 2 because it will give you another option to try: Laptop USB (digital audio out) >> NX2 (DAC and amp). And see which you like best!

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #1,789 of 2,185
Thanks. It's gonna be used as a portable amp for my smartphone also, but it seems like the amp in the NX2 is identical to the one in NX1.  I also want better performance from my laptop that is why I was curious how much difference the DAC in NX2 makes.

It is unpredictable how much difference it will make, like mentioned due to not knowing how well your laptop headphone out performs. The rule of thumb (or what I'd do) is get NX2 as it can be used for both applications correctly.

If you must save money NX1 will still do the job, double amping isn't the end of the world. Good or equal results may be achieved. It's just bypassing the onboard audio completely (NX2) is usually the preffered option.

Another example would be if I was using my more expensive FIdue A83 I'd like to get the cleanest signal possible. If I was just rocking some $50 headphone to watch a movie I'd just plug an amp straight into the laptop headphone out etc.

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #1,790 of 2,185
  Option 1: NX1, just an amp.

Laptop headphone jack >> NX1 (actually, not optimal because you are double amping, the headphone jack is already amped)

Option 2: NX2, an amp and a DAC.

Laptop headphone jack >> NX2 amp section (not optimal, see above)
and
Laptop USB out >> NX2 dac and amp (both sections of the device) -> optimal configuration with NO double amping

If you can give the 25 bucks, go with option 2 because it will give you another option to try: Laptop USB (digital audio out) >> NX2 (DAC and amp). And see which you like best!

It is unpredictable how much difference it will make, like mentioned due to not knowing how well your laptop headphone out performs. The rule of thumb (or what I'd do) is get NX2 as it can be used for both applications correctly.

If you must save money NX1 will still do the job, double amping isn't the end of the world. Good or equal results may be achieved. It's just bypassing the onboard audio completely (NX2) is usually the preffered option.

Another example would be if I was using my more expensive FIdue A83 I'd like to get the cleanest signal possible. If I was just rocking some $50 headphone to watch a movie I'd just plug an amp straight into the laptop headphone out etc.

Nice! Yeah 25$ isn't really the problem. The thing is I just received my first "good" headphones, the Senns HD25, and I'm a little bit disappointed with the sound, seems weak and not so much "in your face" and sparkly like reviews pointed out. I figure they really need an amp. (don't want to go off topic to much).

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #1,791 of 2,185
I have a pair of the Senns HD25 headphones myself, and I think they're just amazingly good. However, these are 70 ohms impedance headphones so you will most likely have to heavily amplify it to get some results. 

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #1,792 of 2,185
You guys are very persuasive...lol.  I've read through this entire thread about the NX1 (all 120 pages).  I was on the fence about getting the NX1 or the FiiO EllK and was pretty set on getting the FiiO.  This morning when I finally placed my order (been debating this for a couple weeks), I went with the NX1.  I was a review reading machine on both amps and what really sold me on the NX1 over the FiiO was the battery life and the fact there is no "pop" when you turn the unit on.  I also read reviews on the FiiO that there may or may not be a slight hiss and I don't recall reading anything like that for the NX1.  This will be my first amp and I'm pairing it with my FiiO X1 and some Senn HD558 headphones (picked up the short headphone cable too).  Order it all from Amazon this morning and I'm already excited and can't wait for it to arrive.  Looking forward to seeing how this will all work and sound together.  I will have to report back my impressions.

Thanks

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #1,794 of 2,185
Spoken by the Master Persuader:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: now I will admit it was probably as hard as rolling a bowling ball down a 90 degree incline:wink: I think for the price you find your decision was a good one. Should be a great setup, Hmm Wokei seems you forgot I also bought my friend a NX1 as well so that makes it 3 in a month:wink:

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #1,795 of 2,185
So I've decided to try the NX1 with my Senns HD-25's. I don't notice any difference when connected to my LG G2 or Macbook Air. Headphones can go louder but thats it. I was hoping the amp will bring some "meatiness" to the sound. I'm thinking of returning it.

Otherwise I think it is a good neutral amp, nicely built.

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #1,796 of 2,185
So my NX1, new cans, and cables arrived yesterday.  I must say, this is a big step up from my $10 Phillips IEMs...lol

FiiO X1, NX1 amp, Sennheiser HD 558 cans with 1.2m cable.  So far it's night and day from my previous no amp set up and IEMs.  I'm fortunate that I can use this at work, so I am going to give a better review after a week or two.  So far I regret not doing something like this sooner, but stuff happens.  Hope you enjoy the pics below. 

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #1,797 of 2,185
Nice 4Robert, I bet you can tell a big difference:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: looking forward to your two week review. Happy jamming✌

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #1,798 of 2,185
Maybe we should expand the OP and create a picture album like we did for C&C BH. "members rigs section" 

Let me see if I can gather some time in coming days and go through the threads gallery.

Apr 16, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #1,799 of 2,185
  Maybe we should expand the OP and create a picture album like we did for C&C BH. "members rigs section" 

Let me see if I can gather some time in coming days and go through the threads gallery.

Sounds like a good idea

Apr 18, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #1,800 of 2,185
May be a stupid question but I'm looking to feed my DAC's output to my NX1. The only thing is it terminates in 3.5mm headphone plug and RCA outputs. I don't want to double amp so If I use RCA cables I should dodge amping right? Also if I'm buying a cable does spefic wording matter? I want to go from RCA to 3.5 but all cables I find are 3.5 to RCA. Will a cable like this work? http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-105597-3-Feet-Premium-Stereo/dp/B0094A1F3S/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1429392461&sr=1-1&keywords=rca+to+3.5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back