TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Apr 2, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #1,771 of 2,185
  haha lol I didn't. That $26 is a sweet deal. I had bought it for $38, plus customs department unexpectedly charged me a whopping 40% duty over it. This is the only time I had been charged custom duty... so my NX1 is 'special' and most expensive NX1 in the world 
biggrin.gif

Well you know anyone that hangs with that Wokei guy cannot be to serious
wink_face.gif
 IMHO the NX1 is worth every bit of $50 so I think you are still doing good duty charge and all
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #1,772 of 2,185
  Well you know anyone that hangs with that Wokei guy cannot be to serious
wink_face.gif
 IMHO the NX1 is worth every bit of $50 so I think you are still doing good duty charge and all
bigsmile_face.gif

Haha of course! He's my Senpai. His Excellency has accepted me already as Kohai 
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #1,774 of 2,185
What exactly could a person mod anyways, other than the opamp (btw has anybody actually confirmed what the nx1 uses? I remember folks debating it, but not any confirmation)

Yeah, the op amp os probably the most significant change one can make. Could be interesting or could be meaningless but I'm curious enough to try.

Sending one over......hope the temperature won't burn down the roof...woot woot

You have been warned...open at your own risk

Thank you, you're my new best friend :)

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #1,775 of 2,185
Too kind my friend...you gotta come to the Lab thread...sure you will fit in...

Would you please link me to the thread?

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #1,776 of 2,185
http://www.head-fi.org/t/751177/the-lab

Her you go Eisen

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #1,777 of 2,185
Apr 8, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #1,779 of 2,185
  Little help here, I'm new in this.

Will NX1 wired to laptop be ok for Senn HD25 II or should I go for NX2?

Thanks

I think either will drive the HD25's however you get the DAC option with the NX2 but remember it's only 16/48.

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #1,781 of 2,185

So although NX2 DAC is 16/48, when I listen from a laptop I can still expect better sound than with NX1, right?

Assuming the DAC in NX2 is better than the built-in DAC of your laptop, then yes. However, the DAC in NX2 is actually a pretty basic model and there is no telling whether you will find it better.

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #1,782 of 2,185

So although NX2 DAC is 16/48, when I listen from a laptop I can still expect better sound than with NX1, right?

YMMV but I have found that just about anything I've ever tried sounds better than laptop soundcards/headphone out
wink.gif
 Unless you have upgraded this section of your laptop I would say yes, I think using the NX1 will give you better SQ and power to what ever your driving. I'm sure there are others far more versed in this than I that may chime in
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #1,783 of 2,185
  YMMV but I have found that just about anything I've ever tried sounds better than laptop soundcards/headphone out
wink.gif

I've come to the allmost same conclusion. Laptop and pc onboard souncards are generally terrible but all the tv's I've tried have even worse headphone output. Imo differences between dac's are subtle but when I plugged topping to my tv I was schocked. Difference between a $20 dac and my tv is a lot bigger than the difference between $20 dac and my $1000 desktop dac. Don't know much about the technical stuff so maybe it could be that my tv's headphone out is just physically bad and doesn't create a proper connection but whatever the case it sounds horrible.

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #1,785 of 2,185
  I've come to the allmost same conclusion. Laptop and pc onboard souncards are generally terrible but all the tv's I've tried have even worse headphone output. Imo differences between dac's are subtle but when I plugged topping to my tv I was schocked. Difference between a $20 dac and my tv is a lot bigger than the difference between $20 dac and my $1000 desktop dac. Don't know much about the technical stuff so maybe it could be that my tv's headphone out is just physically bad and doesn't create a proper connection but whatever the case it sounds horrible.

I've gone one step further in this and ran a external powered (Monster) speaker into the DAC and the TV sounded 100 times better than it's on on-board speaker! Both my younger boys were given these Monster speakers which are also Bluetooth by their older brother and they link via Bluetooth so you can run two (I think the manual say up to eight
blink.gif
). Not stereo but if you don't want to buy say a Sub/Soundbar setup this may be the next best thing. Shopped wisely you can have the pair NX2/1 Monster) for just around a Ben Franklin 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back