TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #1,276 of 2,185
  Thanks for the reply. i think i just return my hm 101 to amazon still got till 31 jan and get another usb dac/amp. been eyeing on the fiio e17. 

Sure, maybe consider iBasso D Zero MK2 as well.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/741541/new-ibasso-d-zero-mk2

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #1,277 of 2,185

Sure, maybe consider iBasso D Zero MK2 as well.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/741541/new-ibasso-d-zero-mk2

Sorry for borrowing this thread. just saw people's impression of the ibasso d zero mk 2. from some of their comment kinda put me off because there appear to be hiss when they switch it to high gain. it also mainly reason for me to return my hifiman hm 101 (with ferrite core install on usb cable). i try to persuade myself to ignore there hiss but just cant. sorry again and for my english. but thanks for the recommendation, appreciate it.

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #1,279 of 2,185
Sounds like a grounding issue. Does it sound like there's anything loose inside when you shake it?

I tried shaking it and no sound. I emailed Topping and they told me to give it a full charge and that should solve my issues. Charging fixed the buzzing issues, but it did not fix the extremely weak/thin/distorted sound. Sure enough, when I have one hand on the device and one hand on the metal bezel of my iPhone, it sounds perfect. I'm more than positive its a grounding issue. I'm just unsure of how how I would go about fixing such a thing, or if the company will even cover it. Really bums me out, because it sounds fantastic with my Havi B3 Pro I's. 

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #1,280 of 2,185
I tried shaking it and no sound. I emailed Topping and they told me to give it a full charge and that should solve my issues. Charging fixed the buzzing issues, but it did not fix the extremely weak/thin/distorted sound. Sure enough, when I have one hand on the device and one hand on the metal bezel of my iPhone, it sounds perfect. I'm more than positive its a grounding issue. I'm just unsure of how how I would go about fixing such a thing, or if the company will even cover it. Really bums me out, because it sounds fantastic with my Havi B3 Pro I's. 
[/quote]
Maybe try a different cable. The ground or common of the L/R cable might have integrity issues which would cause low volume and thin sound.

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #1,281 of 2,185

Maybe try a different cable. The ground or common of the L/R cable might have integrity issues which would cause low volume and thin sound.[/quote]

That ended up being the issue, just faulty cable. Thanks so much! I feel like an idiot for not realizing it sooner. What are some decent small aux cables for this amp? The one I used to test is extremely long.

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #1,283 of 2,185
Maybe try a different cable. The ground or common of the L/R cable might have integrity issues which would cause low volume and thin sound.

That ended up being the issue, just faulty cable. Thanks so much! I feel like an idiot for not realizing it sooner. What are some decent small aux cables for this amp? The one I used to test is extremely long.[/quote]

I had the same problem with mine.
Got a JDS ultra short interconnect http://www.jdslabs.com/products/146/ultra-short-3-5mm-interconnect-cable/
And I'm very happy with it

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #1,284 of 2,185

That ended up being the issue, just faulty cable. Thanks so much! I feel like an idiot for not realizing it sooner. What are some decent small aux cables for this amp? The one I used to test is extremely long.[/quote]

I'm glad you've got it figured out! Enjoy!

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,286 of 2,185
received these for running my massdrop akg k7xx headphones, and they are a perfect match. This litte amp sure can drive these without any issues, the sound is crystal clear. amazing for the price, i paid around $39, and definitely worth every penny of it. highly recommended. even though the k7xx is lower impedance phone (60 ohms supposedly), they definitely need some quite a bit of power. i am sure the nx1 will be able to drive sennheiser 600-650 without any issues as well.

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #1,288 of 2,185
Got my Fiio X1 today and I enjoy the sound the NX1 gives when I use line out.

Definitely a good deal for the money. 
biggrin.gif
  Now if only there would be more amps that support frequencies below 20 Hz....  too many seem to limit their active frequency range to 20 Hz - 20 kHz...

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #1,290 of 2,185

Users who are viewing this thread

Back