TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #721 of 2,185
This dual lock stuff is crazy!  Once I applied it to the amp and my phone, when I stick them together and pull them apart, the velcro comes right off the phone!  The weak link of Dual Lock is the adhesive. 

I guess I'm going back to the velcro dots that came with the amp.  What I shame I spent so much on the dual lock.. maybe I can repurpose it for something else.

I'm assuming you did all the normal cleaning before applying the adhesive. I just wanted to let you know that it comes with one of two different types of adhesive. Check which one you got. Maybe the other will be better.

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #722 of 2,185
I don't fully agree with the near zero output impedance actually. I use one of my amps at 120 ohm output impedance with AKG headphones and it has a slight calming effect on the treble.

That would be an adverse effect of high output impedance and non-flat headphone impedance. Wether you like it or not, it's a defect from what the source is supposed to sound like, what the amp is supposed to sound like, and what the headphones are supposed to sound like. Moreover, that effect varies greatly with both parameters (output impedance and headphone impedance curve). It is not a fixed effect, it is largely unpredictable, and therefore undesirable. I don't know why you would buy equipment that distorts both your source and your headphones…

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #723 of 2,185
I'm assuming you did all the normal cleaning before applying the adhesive. I just wanted to let you know that it comes with one of two different types of adhesive. Check which one you got. Maybe the other will be better.

I don't think I received two types.. I bought 2 identical strips from a guy on ebay that H20 posted.

I'm having better luck between the Clip Zip and NX1.  I was reading that you may need special preparation (either a solvent or a 3rd-party adhesive?) for sticking on glass and that's probably the issue I'm having because the back of my Nexus 4 is glass. 

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #724 of 2,185

I don't think I received two types.. I bought 2 identical strips from a guy on ebay that H20 posted.

I'm having better luck between the Clip Zip and NX1.  I was reading that you may need special preparation (either a solvent or a 3rd-party adhesive?) for sticking on glass and that's probably the issue I'm having because the back of my Nexus 4 is glass. 

Sorry, I wanted to say that the Dual Lock that you received has one of two possible types of adhesive. The two type are acrylic and rubber adhesive. I usually recommend the rubber based adhesive since it is much easier to deal with if you plan on removing it later.

Make sure to clean the areas very well and use some rubbing alcohol. Based on the fact that it pulled off so easily, it makes the most sense to assume there might have been some issue with the surface. Could be the glass thing. That exactly information isn't in my compendium of knowledge. Perhaps someone else knows that one. 

Here are some informative links:
Link 1
Link 2

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #725 of 2,185
I don't know why you would buy equipment that distorts both your source and your headphones…

I guess you're talking about the raised harmonic content of a valve? Basically because I do enjoy the sound of valves a lot.

If it's the raised output impedance, it just improves the AKG sound for me. It isn't predictable, you're quite right, but it can improve some headphones' top end in particular. Jan Meier mentions the same effect on his site as you probably know but I know that many technical guys prefer as close to zero as possible.

For portable use I also enjoy the O2 a great deal but really dislike it's size and battery life, although I really like its power. (Hence the low battery life) I do find it a little 'lifeless' in comparison to some other amps though.

In days of yore, 120 ohms output impedance was considered a standard for headphones and I must admit, it helps the AKG's. (Which are not flat, but then again, what headphone is?)

Aug 12, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #727 of 2,185
But not in frequency response. Electronically great, but not flat response unfortunately.

So, a flat source into a flat amp into a non- flat headphone. Perhaps eq is the easiest way to sort it out? (But distortions rear their ugly heads again?) so a kind of 'synergy' could be another answer with less distortion?

Or maybe it all becomes a little theoretical in the real world of listening?

But, to get back to nx1 .... It is quite amazing what can be done for so little money and I use mine a lot with all kinds of headphones. Very good with the new AKG Y50.

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #730 of 2,185

That's why i like experient head fiers, we newbie don't know anything and spent a lot of money with bad things... but they are here to help us spent better our money and don't be fooled :) thanks Skamp and Bhazard :)

That's why you should do a LOT of research before investing you hard earned cash on anything.

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #731 of 2,185
That's why you should do a LOT of research before investing you hard earned cash on anything.
you are right man, i asked a lot about many things with a lot of people from head fi, many I think that doesn't like me anymore because i made a lot of questions before buy some earphone and an amp and a dac.. I newbie here, but learned a lot until now... A have to say thanks for many people that helped me until now and continue to help :)
I have read a lot of posts and pages too :)

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #732 of 2,185
On the topic of FR evaluation, many listeners confuse better extension or improvements in speed with a rise in db. Let's say you own a power hungry headphone that improves in speed with more juice. A faster, more impactfull bass can create the illusion of extra loudness. Amping can also affect extension, so if your phone gets better treble extension with more juice the sound will change, but that's not the fault of the amp as the cause is not some kind of distortion. The only way to test an amp semi reliably with no dedicated hardware is with test tones and confirm with multiple earphones. Do this with the NX1 and you will see that it's actually not V shaped at all.

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #733 of 2,185
  On the topic of FR evaluation, many listeners confuse better extension or improvements in speed with a rise in db. Let's say you own a power hungry headphone that improves in speed with more juice. A faster, more impactfull bass can create the illusion of extra loudness. Amping can also affect extension, so if your phone gets better treble extension with more juice the sound will change, but that's not the fault of the amp as the cause is not some kind of distortion. The only way to test an amp semi reliably with no dedicated hardware is with test tones and confirm with multiple earphones. Do this with the NX1 and you will see that it's actually not V shaped at all.

Good News man, I hope that my nx1 arrives quickly :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back