TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #707 of 2,185
Thanks for the graph skamp, that sure looks close to ruler flat to me. The truth is if someone listens to the NX1 through a V shaped sound signature IEM then any amp will sound V shaped. The best way to judge an amp is to listen to it through an IEM that sounds neutral or with a pretty flat frequency response. That was exactly what I was trying to point out to Salmonelas.

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #708 of 2,185
I guess seeing is believing, but that graph surprises me because I too felt like the amp tightened and boosted the bass a bit. 

My setup is ClipZip>NX1>OstryKC06. 

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #710 of 2,185
I meant no offense. I stopped counting the number of people who made erroneous claims about this amp in particular.

I just wish people here would start realizing that subjective impressions are not to be trusted, especially after measurements invalidate those with certainty.

If you're wondering how come people make so many contradictory claims, based on subjective impressions, which are later proven completely false, then you're on the right track...

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #711 of 2,185
I meant no offense. I stopped counting the number of people who made erroneous claims about this amp in particular.

I just wish people here would start realizing that subjective claims are not to be trusted, especially after measurements invalidate those with certainty.

If you're wondering how come people make so many contradictory claims, based on subjective impressions, which are later proven completely false, then you're on the right track...

Very cool, but the difficult thing is to have the right tools to measure those things :frowning2:

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #712 of 2,185
If you don't have the tools or the knowledge to make such measurements, please understand that you are in a poor position to make claims that go against the default assumption.

The default assumption with amps being, they're designed to amplify a signal (make it louder), while adding no coloration and the least possible amount of distortion. That is no longer a particularly difficult task, and the NX1 does just that.

So when you plug the NX1 into a source (iPod or Clip+ or whatever), it will sound exactly like the source, except louder. That's it! Not with more bass, no increased soundstage or clarity, nothing.

It may fix high output impedance that results in frequency response variations with certain cans or IEMs, but that's "fixing a problem", not changing the qualities of the source.

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #713 of 2,185
For those not familiar with the concept of "frequency response" and "output impedance": the former describes how much bass, mids and treble you get; and the later can cause anomalies with those.

A good amp will have a near zero ohm output impedance, and produce a ruler-flat frequency response. That means, the exact amount of bass, mids and treble, that is present in the recording. No more, no less. That is the case with the NX1, and all other amps that aren't broken, or purposefully altered.

Any differences (in frequency response, or soundstage or whatever) are the product of bad design or intentional signal processing, which will result in more or less bad measurements. That is not the case with the NX1, which measures very well (as it should).

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #714 of 2,185
So, looking at the NX1 graph, what advantage would there be in buying a $200+ amp?  I doubt that many would graph much better (perhaps some would pick up the slight bass roll off below 30 hz).  Anyway, just thinking out loud.  Maybe more expensive amps have higher power outputs that would drive high impedance phones.  I don't see a reason though to spend $200+ on an amp with a similar power output to the NX1.  Am I missing something?

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #715 of 2,185
There is no reason to spend more money on an amp, unless it brings you something more, like higher output, or a bass boost function, or anything.

Some amps may measure even better, but the lower distortion and / or higher signal to noise ratio (SNR) may be inaudible.

One area in particular where better amps like the JDS Labs C5D may produce an audible advantage, is less or no hiss with super sensitive IEMs, and less or no channel imbalance at low volume.

For those, I would trust companies like JDS Labs, who design products as competent engineers. Some companies capitalize on the ignorance of audiophiles to sell them a similarly or worse performing product, at a high premium. Other companies sell technically excellent products, also at a premium (like Benchmark), with so much overkill that the improvements are inaudible.

Edit: the very low frequency, very slight rolloff, is likely due to my ADC.

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #716 of 2,185
  So, looking at the NX1 graph, what advantage would there be in buying a $200+ amp?  I doubt that many would graph much better (perhaps some would pick up the slight bass roll off below 30 hz).  Anyway, just thinking out loud.  Maybe more expensive amps have higher power outputs that would drive high impedance phones.  I don't see a reason though to spend $200+ on an amp with a similar power output to the NX1.  Am I missing something?

There is few to none performance wise. You would hope to get a better warranty/service.

Higher quality internal components and good designs (which aren't always used in higher $$ amps) *may* help with things like shielding the amp from EMI, lowering distortion, giving a higher s/n ratio, lowering noise floor etc, but measurements speak "volumes" about what is really going on. That's a near dead flat amp for under $40, and this is why everyone loves it.

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #717 of 2,185
There is no reason to spend more money on an amp, unless it brings you something more, like higher output, or a bass boost function, or anything.

Some amps may measure even better, but the lower distortion and / or higher signal to noise ratio (SNR) may be inaudible.

One area in particular where better amps like the JDS Labs C5D may produce an audible advantage, is less or no hiss with super sensitive IEMs, and less or no channel imbalance at low volume.

For those, I would trust companies like JDS Labs, who design products as competent engineers. Some companies capitalize on the ignorance of audiophiles to sell them a similarly or worse performing product, at a high premium. Other companies sell technically excellent products, also at a premium (like Benchmark), with so much overkill that the improvements are inaudible.

Edit: the very low frequency, very slight rolloff, is likely due to my ADC.

There is few to none performance wise. You would hope to get a better warranty/service.

Higher quality internal components and good designs (which aren't always used in higher $$ amps) *may* help with things like shielding the amp from EMI, lowering distortion, giving a higher s/n ratio, lowering noise floor etc, but measurements speak "volumes" about what is really going on. That's a near dead flat amp for under $40, and this is why everyone loves it.

That's why i like experient head fiers, we newbie don't know anything and spent a lot of money with bad things... but they are here to help us spent better our money and don't be fooled :) thanks Skamp and Bhazard :)

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #718 of 2,185

That's why i like experient head fiers, we newbie don't know anything and spent a lot of money with bad things... but they are here to help us spent better our money and don't be fooled :) thanks Skamp and Bhazard :)

+10000000000

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #719 of 2,185
A good amp will have a near zero ohm output impedance, and produce a ruler-flat frequency response. That means, the exact amount of bass, mids and treble, that is present in the recording. No more, no less. That is the case with the NX1, and all other amps that aren't broken, or purposefully altered.

Any differences (in frequency response, or soundstage or whatever) are the product of bad design or intentional signal processing, which will result in more or less bad measurements. That is not the case with the NX1, which measures very well (as it should).

I don't fully agree with the near zero output impedance actually. I use one of my amps at 120 ohm output impedance with AKG headphones and it has a slight calming effect on the treble. That's one of the advantages of having an Ember which allows you to vary the output impedance while also supplying enough power to work at this high output impedance.

Differences heard in bass quantities, in the case of Ipods may be due to the slight roll off that you get from the headphone out, that you don't get from the dock connector output. (If people are using Ipods)

For some reason, from the headphone out, I think I get slightly less 'bloat' in the bass with the amp connected. Different loading?

I do think that the Topping is terrific value for money and I use it a lot mobile tbh.

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #720 of 2,185
This dual lock stuff is crazy!  Once I applied it to the amp and my phone, when I stick them together and pull them apart, the velcro comes right off the phone!  The weak link of Dual Lock is the adhesive. 

I guess I'm going back to the velcro dots that came with the amp.  What I shame I spent so much on the dual lock.. maybe I can repurpose it for something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back