TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #617 of 2,185
C'mon big tease ..spill the beans ....pleeeeeeeaaaaseeeee ?

Mind filling me in =D

wink.gif

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #618 of 2,185
Has anyone managed to check out the SMSL M2 yet, I'm seriously tempted but the lack of info out there is off putting. I emailed an eBay seller for some extra details as the Chinese translation on the listing is cryptic at best but have not heard back as of yet. Is this the new mysterious amp?

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #619 of 2,185
Has anyone managed to check out the SMSL M2 yet, I'm seriously tempted but the lack of info out there is off putting. I emailed an eBay seller for some extra details as the Chinese translation on the listing is cryptic at best but have not heard back as of yet. Is this the new mysterious amp?

The M2 is a DAC with heaphone amp and line out only. It doesn't have a line in so you cannot use it as a traditional amplifier. But it looks like a great external DAC for PC.

Aug 2, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #620 of 2,185
Got one of these in today after about two weeks of waiting! I think this is going to go to work with me alongside my Sansa Fuze.

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #621 of 2,185
Perfect match for my Sansa Clip/Zip, because I haven't "lost" my Clip after it started piggy back riding on the NX1!  

This is worth a heck of money to me, because of wasted time... Taking the whole house apart searching for the clip and blaming wife/kids/neighbors/colleges for "stealing' my Sansa Clip Zip. Now everyone is happy or at least not bothered by me and I have more time to think about life :)

Anyhow, I find the NX1 a very good match with Sansa units. If rockboxed, then increase the stereo width by a fraction or two and the combo can sound less congested if this is an issue. 

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #622 of 2,185
Perfect match for my Sansa Clip/Zip, because I haven't "lost" my Clip after it started piggy back riding on the NX1!  

This is worth a heck of money to me, because of wasted time... Taking the whole house apart searching for the clip and blaming wife/kids/neighbors/colleges for "stealing' my Sansa Clip Zip. Now everyone is happy or at least not bothered by me and I have more time to think about life :)

Anyhow, I find the NX1 a very good match with Sansa units. If rockboxed, then increase the stereo width by a fraction or two and the combo can sound less congested if this is an issue. 

+100 ..me also NX1 + Clip Zip ...really nice combo ...:cool:

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #623 of 2,185

Nice, does the NX1 improve the soundstage as well? The biggest problem with the Clip Zip for me, is the soundstage and recessed highs, which I tend to increase by a couple of db.
But I compare it with the iBasso Dx50 and this one is anyway lot more precise.

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #624 of 2,185

Ditto. I think my Fuze is going to be permanently rubberbanded to the NX1. They're the perfect size for one another and the combo sounds great to my ears.

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #625 of 2,185
Mini Review for Topping NX10
My testing method was the ipod classic 160gb output vs the Topping amp as I thought this would make a fairer fight than comparing it with my Benchmark desktop system. It also should highlight whether this sort of amp is even needed as in y opinion it is purely for use with DAP’s.
Well the answer is a resounding yes! The Topping made a noticeable improvement to all my tested headphones – the switchable gain switch was particularly good with impedence matching.
HD650 – Lifeless out of the ipod but very listenable via the NX10. Not the last word on detail and prat etc but more than serviceable and as good as any cmoy I have tried.
DT880 – thin and bass light on the ipod but again very listenable via the NX10 on high gain.
DT250/80 – good out of the ipod but better soundstage and clarity with the NX10 with low gain. Great combination actually – very listenable and would be a good portable rig.
MDR7520 – my current fave closed headphone very low inpedence and very easily driven by the ipod but comes alive with the NX10 – clarity, prat. Space – you name it and with a clean background. Another great combo and one that could tie you over for a long time without need for an upgrade.
Conclusion
For approx. $40 this is a great little amp and one that would benefit anyone wanting an upgrade from their ipod headphone out. Is it the last word on detail, prat, etc…No but its not supposed to be. It does its job well, has a better form factor than a cmoy, adjustable gain, long rechargeable battery life and is the size of a credit card. If I had of known I could get this sort of sound out of an ipod,an NX10 and some MDR7520s early on my journey I may have just stayed content there. Would I buy one? Yes, if I were needing a portable this would leapfrog anything else in its price range.
Great Value.

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #626 of 2,185
My testing method was the ipod classic 160gb output vs the Topping amp as I thought this would make a fairer fight than comparing it with my Benchmark desktop system. It also should highlight whether this sort of amp is even needed as in y opinion it is purely for use with DAP’s.
Well the answer is a resounding yes! The Topping made a noticeable improvement to all my tested headphones – the switchable gain switch was particularly good with impedence matching.
HD650 – Lifeless out of the ipod but very listenable via the NX10. Not the last word on detail and prat etc but more than serviceable and as good as any cmoy I have tried.
DT880 – thin and bass light on the ipod but again very listenable via the NX10 on high gain.
DT250/80 – good out of the ipod but better soundstage and clarity with the NX10 with low gain. Great combination actually – very listenable and would be a good portable rig.
MDR7520 – my current fave closed headphone very low inpedence and very easily driven by the ipod but comes alive with the NX10 – clarity, prat. Space – you name it and with a clean background. Another great combo and one that could tie you over for a long time without need for an upgrade.
Conclusion
For approx. $40 this is a great little amp and one that would benefit anyone wanting an upgrade from their ipod headphone out. Is it the last word on detail, prat, etc…No but its not supposed to be. It does its job well, has a better form factor than a cmoy, adjustable gain, long rechargeable battery life and is the size of a credit card. If I had of known I could get this sort of sound out of an ipod,an NX10 and some MDR7520s early on my journey I may have just stayed content there. Would I buy one? Yes, if I were needing a portable this would leapfrog anything else in its price range.
Great Value.

Welcome to Topping NX1 Crew ....

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #627 of 2,185
Conclusion
Great Value.

NX1*. NX1*. NX1*. NX1*. NX1*. NX1*.  
biggrin.gif

Nice review!

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #628 of 2,185

Users who are viewing this thread

Back