Topping D90
Jul 24, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #976 of 1,101
Update: no luck. Just tried a powered USB hub but the problem persists
To eliminate driver issue, run DPC latency test. If using Windows 10, disable automatic updates, disconnect LAN/wireless, run system integrity test, it will take time to run and another run to fix. Windows can be stucked in a loop on updates, integrity check is neccessary.

Disconnect USB plug, then uninstall Topping drivers. Re-plug and let Windows recognise D90 using standard UAC 2.0 drivers, verify that standard drivers are used, check if problem persist and DPC latency. If there is such settings in the app, for D90 always use WASAPI event driven output instead of push.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #977 of 1,101
IDK exactly how to help, as I haven't identified why I don't have the problem... I use Tidal Windows App, use MQA settings in Tidal, I'll include them below, and AFAIK the driver only comes into play with DSD or some apps like Qobuz. At least it doesn't matter if I have the Topping/FiiO drivers installed or not. I keep them installed as they don't seem to get in the way either.

I use USB 3.0 out of the back of my PC Motherboard back panel. I had noise issues - not the regular popping you are hearing - but high frequency GPU noise borne over the USB power lines. I ended up solving it with a combination of shielded cables and ifi iDefender+ for one USB line and a Topping HS1 for the other USB line (2 connected DAC's).

II will post my settings / firmware version to see if they help you, please let us know what ends up working for your set up :)

Do you enable exclusive mode for D90? I've found that helps keep other apps from opening up the device and make changes while using my primary software. Exclusive mode requires exiting the single exclusive app before running another to use the same device:
Set External DAC device to Allow Exclusive Mode in Sound Control Panel - Stream Device Setting...JPG
I usually set 384k and let the D90 adjust as needed to the source music:
New Windows driver for D90 MQA Sound Control panel set to 384k.JPG
And, the Topping driver settings, but again they don't seem to matter track unless using DSD, you could try uninstalling the Topping driver and reboot and see if everything still works for you, that is what I did and ran without the drivers for a long time, notice it says "ASIO not active":
Track at 384khz ASIO driver Buffer Settings auto changes to 2048 samples per second.JPG

Here are the Tidal Windows app settings I use:
Tidal Streaming Device setup for Topping D90 MQA.JPG

D90 MQA Firmware Version - check using firmware updater.JPG
Stream Device Settings within Tidal for MQA pasathrough volume control and setting exclusive m...JPG

And, here is my D90 firmware version, as seen through Topping Upgrade:

I hope this helps :beerchug:

Jul 24, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #978 of 1,101
Few comments.

1. Windows sound control sample rate settings panel is only valid in shared mode. Other settings is correct. I would only suggest to not use D90 as a default sound device, but it is not critical.

2. Tidal settings is correct if you use ASIO. However with Topping drivers uninstalled, ASIO is not available, so you need to select WASAPI driver in a submenu of the Sound Output (yellow on the screenshot). This is all I can say about Tidal, I don't use it, can't help more.

3. Functionality of WASAPI is similar to ASIO, you should still be able to play DSD and DSD128, higher not sure. It is done in so called DoP mode, if you see such option, enable it to get it played with WASAPI. ASIO driver allows higher rates in a native mode, but will also work in DoP mode.

4. To test Windows integrity search for "windows integrity", the first hit brings Microsoft website that explain how to use "sfc" internal command.

5. For DPC latency checking, search for "dpc latency", you have to download the app compatible with win10. I use 7.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #979 of 1,101
Great posts. To my knowledge, Tidal does not use ASIO under any circumstances. It does use Exclusive mode as @hmscott showed in his settings. Of course there is no DSD hosted by Tidal, so we should know which music player app is being used.

Probably even though the DAC appears to "work fine" without Topping factory drivers installed, it won't, unless you install the factory drivers.

Anyway in Tidal, once the DAC is connected and powered on, you will have the choice to pick the output device. Make sure the D90 is selected specifically, not the Windows default device. Although the D90 might also be the Windows default device, that won't allow Exclusive mode etc. @hmscott post shows this in yellow on the 3rd to last screenshot.

Jul 25, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #980 of 1,101
thank you all for your advices and great suggestions. you wont believe it - removing the topping driver works! i removed the driver and reboot. win11 complaint that there is no driver for my D90 and there's an exclamation mark for a "Topping DFU" in other devices of device manager (but under audio inputs and outputs
Untitled.png

my D90 is still recognized normally. BUT IT WORKS! i've tried listened to 3 different MQA songs on tidal and it still recognizes my D90MQA and everything works perfectly! i switched to spotify to test and again, works faultless for 3 songs :) as i seldom listen to DSD sources. i'll gladly trade DSD functionality for smooth playback by streaming services. the popping was so annoying i was on the edge of going to get a violectric v550 to replace my topping combo on the weekend. but now it seems they could happily work in my home for much longer :o2smile:

thank you again @gimmeheadroom, @sajunky, @hmscott and all knowledgable headfiers offered helps i very sorry happened to not mentioning here!

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #981 of 1,101
thank you all for your advices and great suggestions. you wont believe it - removing the topping driver works! i removed the driver and reboot. win11 complaint that there is no driver for my D90 and there's an exclamation mark for a "Topping DFU" in other devices of device manager (but under audio inputs and outputs
DFU driver is missing, it is firmware upgrade driver. Don't worry, it doesn't affect normal operation. You can still play DSD files if your player support it.

A proper uninstallation of Topping drivers is in Control Panel - > Programs. You can still do it to remove any traces of registry modifications.

I am glad, it is solved. And finally, once system is verified to work properly, you can install Topping drivers again (i.e. if you need ASIO support). If you do it, D90 USB cable must be unplugged. Complete installation and only connect D90 when installation program ask for or complete successfully. Failure to comply this requirement is in my experience a source of countless problems in Windows.

Jul 25, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #982 of 1,101
DFU driver is missing, it is firmware upgrade driver. Don't worry, it doesn't affect normal operation. You can still play DSD files if your player support it.

A proper uninstallation of Topping drivers is in Control Panel - > Programs. You can still do it to remove any traces of registry modifications.

I am glad, it is solved. And finally, once system is verified to work properly, you can install Topping drivers again (i.e. if you need ASIO support). If you do it, D90 USB cable must be unplugged. Complete installation and only connect D90 when installation program ask for or complete successfully. Failure to comply this requirement is in my experience a source of countless problems in Windows.
Thanks again! I'm using foobar2000 for dsd files and i believe it will decode it to pcm for playing if i select normal, non-asio audio ouputs so there shouldn't be any problem on playback.

I'd try installing back the driver after back from office this evening. Just to supplement a bit more on what i did - I actually uninstalled the topping driver from control panels - apps last nite. I did the uninstalling on device manager before and it reinstalled itself on reboot so i guess that's what made the problem persist. When the topping driver was installed, the dfu device was not shown in control panel. But rather, a new section appeared near bottom of the list (forgot it"s listed under usb audio device or what) and topping d90mqa device was shown wokring normally (but plagued with the annoying popping sound).

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #983 of 1,101
When the topping driver was installed, the dfu device was not shown in control panel.
It is normal, dfu interface is disabled when Topping driver complete initialization. Other observations are also correct, good work. :)

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #984 of 1,101
Thanks again! I'm using foobar2000 for dsd files and i believe it will decode it to pcm for playing if i select normal, non-asio audio ouputs so there shouldn't be any problem on playback.

I'd try installing back the driver after back from office this evening. Just to supplement a bit more on what i did - I actually uninstalled the topping driver from control panels - apps last nite. I did the uninstalling on device manager before and it reinstalled itself on reboot so i guess that's what made the problem persist. When the topping driver was installed, the dfu device was not shown in control panel. But rather, a new section appeared near bottom of the list (forgot it"s listed under usb audio device or what) and topping d90mqa device was shown wokring normally (but plagued with the annoying popping sound).
Just another follow-up. I attempted reinstalling the driver but no luck. once installed either driver v5.3 or the v5.27, the popping occurred again intermittently. i uninstalled the driver again and reboot than the transmission works smoothly again. I guess I'll stay this way until there's another driver update.

Jul 29, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #985 of 1,101
Haven't read the revious threads, have you disabled power management on your USB ports? If not, please do...

Jul 29, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #986 of 1,101
Haven't read the revious threads, have you disabled power management on your USB ports? If not, please do...
thank you! i tried but sadly that didnt silent the annoying popping sound. i noticed the intel bios menu said that usb power delivery will be disable when data is being transmitted but i went on to disable power delivery for that port anyway.

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #987 of 1,101
Also on Windows?
Increase buffers on your player?

Jul 29, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #988 of 1,101
Also on Windows?
Increase buffers on your player?
Tried turn off the usb power off option in device manager and also increased the buffer size. But both didn't stop the popping. It's not perfect but removing the driver seems only affected asio dsd decoding which i could live with. Maybe just stay put this way for the moment and enjoy music for a while first 😀 thanks again!

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #990 of 1,101
You can do this hack by covering th 5v pin.

9381aafc0a0e24bff988d33f6a605d146447eba4.jpeg

Or you could buy those usb extensions w/ on/off switches.

Or cables w/ no 5v power at all

On windows you could disable it on your Advanced Power Settings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back