Topping D90
Jan 25, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #947 of 1,101
Using my D90SE with a MonoPrice THX headphone amp and IEM's in the 4pin XLR
Want to get a little more into the volume control, can only go from 7 to 8 right now, what are the negative's of setting the DAC to Pre mode and going down on the digital volume -10 to -20?

Jan 26, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #948 of 1,101
I just wanted to add I am sure many know this. I am very old and out of this game I know one thing. These dirt cheap DAC's with a new one everyday. Like any DAC they sound like everything but the latest DAC chip. So, there is no need to purchase the new one each time!

Jan 26, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #949 of 1,101
Using my D90SE with a MonoPrice THX headphone amp and IEM's in the 4pin XLR
Want to get a little more into the volume control, can only go from 7 to 8 right now, what are the negative's of setting the DAC to Pre mode and going down on the digital volume -10 to -20?
I use my D90SE with preamp on connected to Liquid Platinum and Drop THX 789 with their knobs set to 11am-1pm marks. Volume is controlled with Topping remote. No negatives, sounds great. With fixed output, there's no headroom for volume control with most headphones/iems/earbuds.

Jan 31, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #950 of 1,101
so.. what ddcs are compatible with d90's i2s input?

1. Singxer SU2
2. Singxer SU6
3... ?

Thinking of going back to D90 and want to experiment with D90's i2s input some more and want to try something other than Singxer.

Apr 4, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #954 of 1,101
I've had the Topping D90 for a week. There is a huge issue with it: the USB implementation is terrible, at least on Windows PCs.

When you use USB input, and audio playback stops, a few seconds later, you will hear a very faint pop. This is the USB driver ceasing transmission and going to "sleep" in order to save power. Why is it doing this? It's a desktop DAC!

Note that I also have an iFi Micro iDSD Black Label, which also exhibited this problem. However, after numerous people complained about this, iFi released a special firmware (5.1b) that disabled sleep mode. This actually fixed the problem for me. Why am I mentioning this? As it turns out, the USB control panel for both the Topping and iFi devices are eerily similar:

In addition, with the USB cable plugged in, I could hear faint noise on my headphones when I turned up the volume knob all the way. My Grado GS3000e uses 32-ohm drivers, so they're more sensitive to that, but it shows that the Topping D90's USB noise filtering isn't ideal.

All of these issues were fixed by disconnecting the USB cable and using optical input, which always sends a signal even when there's no audio playback. I don't have a USB decrapifier like a Schiit Wyrd or an iFi iPurifier3, so I don't know whether that would also be a remedy. I also haven't tested the other input methods like AES. However, as many PCs have optical out on their motherboard, I would advise anyone getting the Topping D90 to at least consider using optical instead of USB.
I just purchased a D90SE a few days ago and I noticed the same faint pop sound on the usb input that you have experienced. But after changing to a different usb cable, the popping just went away, so I think it just mainly a cable issue...
I don't know if you have already solve this popping issue yet but I wanted to propose a solution anyway. Maybe this will help.
edit: nvm, the pop came back already

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #955 of 1,101
I just purchased a D90SE a few days ago and I noticed the same faint pop sound on the usb input that you have experienced. But after changing to a different usb cable, the popping just went away, so I think it just mainly a cable issue...
I don't know if you have already solve this popping issue yet but I wanted to propose a solution anyway. Maybe this will help.
edit: nvm, the pop came back already
Sounds certainly defective - what store did u buy from?

Apr 4, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #956 of 1,101
so.. what ddcs are compatible with d90's i2s input?

1. Singxer SU2
2. Singxer SU6
3... ?

Thinking of going back to D90 and want to experiment with D90's i2s input some more and want to try something other than Singxer.
I have been using a Pi2AES and a Raspberry Pi with Volumio and it works well with the D90 via I2S

Apr 4, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #957 of 1,101
I have been using a Pi2AES and a Raspberry Pi with Volumio and it works well with the D90 via I2S
Thanks. Since I last posted, I've picked up another SU6...

Apr 4, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #958 of 1,101
Have and like the SU6. Can figure various I2S protocol/pinouts.

Apr 5, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #959 of 1,101
Sounds certainly defective - what store did u buy from?
I bought it from a Topping authorized dealer here in Hochiminh city. I have sent an email about it to Topping though, so I'm just waiting for their respond right now. If they told me the dac was defective, then I may just come back to that store and return it.
The weird thing is that the pop sound only happens on the 6.3 SE and RCA output, but the XLR and 4.4 seems to be fine. I'm currently using a Singxer SA-1 and I have tried it with another A90, still have the same issue.

Apr 6, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #960 of 1,101
Hi

I have owned the d90se for a few months now and love it. Would like to ask if a ddc running i2s to d90se will make a positive difference to the sound, over direct usb connection?

Also has anyone experimented with changes fuses on the d90se?

Would appreciate the input.

Many thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back