Topping D90
Sep 29, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #1,006 of 1,101
https://www.topping.audio/download
V5.50 driver for most of TOPPING DACs
Don't forget to unplug & replug in device after updating.

-----------------------------------------------------
V5.50.0 (September 8, 2022)
-----------------------------------------------------

* New: support for Windows 11 (22H2) x64

* New: support for Windows 11 (22H2) arm64

* Fix: USB IN buffer count was limited to 16 buffers, this lead to not enough buffers for high ASIO buffers sizes (e.g. 48kHz and 1024 samples)

* Fix: preferred ASIO buffer size are not restored after driver unload/load

* Fix: MIDI functions could become a ASIO device (e.g. if the device has dedicated Audio and MIDI functions)

* Chg: documentation

Just a FYI if you are on Windows 11 2H22 ("2022 ed") there are new drivers coming out this week/next week for all PC components & softwares.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #1,007 of 1,101
Hi. Do tube amps pair well with thus dac? I assume they would because the dac seems to be very fast, and transparent leaving plenty of room for coloration and fattening of the sound without slowing things down to much.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #1,008 of 1,101
Hi. Do tube amps pair well with thus dac? I assume they would because the dac seems to be very fast, and transparent leaving plenty of room for coloration and fattening of the sound without slowing things down to much.

Depends on tubes and tube topology. I’d wager a 300B SET would pair nice with a D90 or a Feliks Echo OTL or Darkvoice/Bottlehead Crack will also fatten the tone up, but a 2A3 tubes or KT88 tube SET amps would be too bright and thin sounding for the D90. Bright tube amps such as the 2A3’s and the KT tube family pairs better with the R2R DACs than the D90

Oct 7, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #1,009 of 1,101
Are you talking about a power amp or an integrated amp? My findings with the D90 were that the built-in preamp sounded less than stellar. To me it sounded much better running it in dac mode, then into a preamp or integrated amp. I will admit I never gave it a full week or anything like that powered on the other way so maybe it would have gotten better

Oct 8, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #1,010 of 1,101
Depends on tubes and tube topology. I’d wager a 300B SET would pair nice with a D90 or a Feliks Echo OTL or Darkvoice/Bottlehead Crack will also fatten the tone up, but a 2A3 tubes or KT88 tube SET amps would be too bright and thin sounding for the D90. Bright tube amps such as the 2A3’s and the KT tube family pairs better with the R2R DACs than the D90
How about audio-gd HE-9 tube preamp. It is not warm but not bright. It actually does not effect the frequency response by much. It adds deep holographic soundstage and saturates the base and midrange- but only in a slightly warm way....???

Oct 8, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #1,011 of 1,101
How about audio-gd HE-9 tube preamp. It is not warm but not bright. It actually does not effect the frequency response by much. It adds deep holographic soundstage and saturates the base and midrange- but only in a slightly warm way....???
Price new MSRP ~$3000 USD?

Oct 8, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #1,012 of 1,101

Where does it say that it’s tube? The HE9 I see is SS. With SS discrete Class A amps normally it should be perfectly neutral (neither too warm nor too bright so an excellent match with the D90. Tube Class A SET and even OTL OTOH varies in tonal balance way more than SS Class A/AB amps due to the tubes and transformer windings and transformer wire materials themselves

Oct 8, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #1,015 of 1,101
Oct 8, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #1,017 of 1,101
My hope was to tame the brightness of the D90SE and add some heft....

Tubes headphone amplifiers are a hit or miss on this aspect in my experience unfortunately. Tubes preamp in general are generally designed to be neutral in tone with the benefits of additional tone density in the vocals and mids and of course the soundstage expansion

BTW. Have you tried playing with the DAC filter? Super slow roll-off should be least bright sounding while pushing vocals more upfront compared to the rest of the filters

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #1,018 of 1,101
I do not own this dac- but I find it interesting.

This dac measures better than any dac on earth at any price, but the almost universally, no one says it sounds the best. Many do not like the sound; some say it is good- but not great. audio-gd dacs measure some of the worst in the world but many and even most users claim they sound incredible.

I am beginning to think that distortion done right equals pleasure and no distortion equals sterile. I once owned a benchmark dac- also known for stunning measurements and it was completely flat. Totally unenjoyable to my ears. This is complex for me.... The human ear simply does not agree with the scientific measurements; pretty consistantly.

Even though I have never heard the DA90SE, I have read enough reviews to be pretty certain that I will dislike it without some coloration injected in there; but because it is so ridiculously clean, it may be the perfect base for any coloration one would choose. May be- is the key two words...

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #1,019 of 1,101
I suggest you give the Gustard line a look. The X26 Pro is the Delta Sigma top of the line to the best of my knowledge. It uses dual saber chips if I remember correctly. The R26 is their new R2R dac. Both get out of this world reviews from owners. I have the slightly older A22 which uses dual AKM 4499 chips. I love mine. They get even better with the Gustard U18 DDC and C18 clock. There are dedicated threads on this forum for the X26 Pro, R26 and U18. The dac prices are significantly more than the D90 SE, but not ridiculously expensive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back