Topping D90
Nov 30, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #916 of 1,101
Nov 30, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #918 of 1,101
As long as it's not the D90 SE model then yes it's akm. It's hard to believe it wouldn't have SE in the model number or say it somewhere if that's what it was. Wish I could help more
Thanks for the info. I see that the SE version is how they designate the version with different chip used.

Dec 1, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #919 of 1,101
Anyone know if my unit has the AK4499 chip?

Don't all D90s have the AKM chip? Because of supply issues after the fire at the AKM factory, it was discontinued and replaced by the D90SE which uses an ESS Sabre chip.

Update: Sorry, I didn't see the reply with essentially the same information until after I posted.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #920 of 1,101
Dec 1, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #921 of 1,101
Yes, I used the iPower X 5v unit to power the iDefender+ connected to my FiiO M15, and the other iDefender+ connected to my Topping D90 didn't need external power.

After I moved the FiiO M15 to the FiiO DK1 Dock I didn't need the iDefender+ on it any longer, as the DK1 has split power/data inputs - the data port already blocked the dirty USB power from the PC, and I moved the iPower X 5v to the power input port of the DK1 - as the DK1 won't run or power the M15 without that separate power input.

Then I wanted to test how clean the iPower X power output was on my battery powered Amateur and SWL radios - those radios are very sensitive to noisy power - I cannot listen on 5v power from Samsung/Sony/random 5v chargers on those radios as those "generic" phone / device 5v chargers are so noisy.

The iPower X is the first 5V charger that allows me to charge/listen to the radio powered off of a 5v charger. Usually I only use the 5V charger to recharge the internal batteries of the devices, so the iPower X 5v output is really clean. :)
Hey mate.

Did you get your HS01 in the end? I have just bought one so would be curious if it is as good as the Idefender.

Thanks

Dec 1, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #923 of 1,101
I finally found the page with the changes again.
https://www.thesycon.de/usbaudio/TUSBAudio_history.txt

There is a gap between V5.20 and V5.27, and my D90's last version was V5.24, it would be nice to know what all changed between V5.20 and V5.27, especially V5.24+V5.26, V5.21+V5.22+V5.23 too:
USBAudio - Thesycon USB Audio 2.0 Class Driver for Windows

Revision History
-----------------------------------------------------
V5.27.0 (October 19, 2021)
* Fix: fixed a security vulnerability (update recommended)
* Chg: DspPlugin (Mixer) now works with IN or OUT only devices

V5.25.0 (October 4, 2021)
* New: support for Windows 11 (21H2)
* New: tested with HLK for Windows 11 on W11 version 21H2
* Chg: improved tracing/statistics
* Chg: now using SignTools 1.9
* Fix: possible infinite loop in MIDI RX

V5.20.0 (June 28, 2021)
* New: support for Windows 10 (21H1)
* New: audio class 1.0: extract channel names from input terminal descriptor iChannelNames field
* New: API version 5.8
* Fix: initialization of auto stream format selection was missing
* Chg: Audio control interface for MIDI is optional
* Chg: Operating systems Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 are not longer supported
(Microsoft discontinued vendor signing)
* Chg: Documentation
Perhaps later I'll try to fill in the blanks, but for now everything is working, so no need really :)

Dec 1, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #924 of 1,101

There is a gap between V5.20 and V5.27, and my D90's last version was V5.24, it would be nice to know what all changed between V5.20 and V5.27, especially V5.24+V5.26, V5.21+V5.22+V5.23 too:
USBAudio - Thesycon USB Audio 2.0 Class Driver for Windows

Revision History
V5.27.0 (October 19, 2021)
* Fix: fixed a security vulnerability (update recommended)
* Chg: DspPlugin (Mixer) now works with IN or OUT only devices

V5.25.0 (October 4, 2021)
* New: support for Windows 11 (21H2)
* New: tested with HLK for Windows 11 on W11 version 21H2
* Chg: improved tracing/statistics
* Chg: now using SignTools 1.9
* Fix: possible infinite loop in MIDI RX

V5.20.0 (June 28, 2021)
* New: support for Windows 10 (21H1)
* New: audio class 1.0: extract channel names from input terminal descriptor iChannelNames field
* New: API version 5.8
* Fix: initialization of auto stream format selection was missing
* Chg: Audio control interface for MIDI is optional
* Chg: Operating systems Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 are not longer supported
(Microsoft discontinued vendor signing)
* Chg: Documentation
Perhaps later I'll try to fill in the blanks, but for now everything is working, so no need really :)
Coming from Bios flaw & firmware talks, they were probably & highly likely failed patch attempts ready for release & Called back. Cant say for sure but it's highly likely. (As companys often alpha beta with a letter & I have not seen a alpha or beta release for Thesycon.

Dec 3, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #927 of 1,101
Hey mate.

Did you get your HS01 in the end? I have just bought one so would be curious if it is as good as the Idefender.

Thanks
Yup, Hifigo got it here quickly, but I've not been able to get to testing it, soon... :)
I've just opened the HS01 box and plugged it in, and - so far it is working. No noise so far, but these are really first reaction comments - I'm not trying to induce noise - I need to set up GPU tests to generate the noise I heard before, and so this isn't the review.

Oddly, there was a sizeable delay from when I plugged in the USB-A cable end from the HS01 into the PC before sound came out into my headphones - which is odd because the iFi iDefender+ has a much shorter delay. I never noticed a delay with the iDefender+, but the delay with the HS01 was long enough I thought perhaps something was wrong, then audio started up. The HS01 has a 2.5-3 second delay vs the iDefender+ with a less than 1 second delay, and it happens every time I plug in the HS01.

A couple of notes... first the HS01 requires another USB cable (included) to be added to connect from the HS01 to the PC. IDK why Topping didn't build in a USB-A Male connector into the HS01 like iFi did for the iDefender+, as a built in Male Connector does away with the need for another USB cable in the connection chain.

The HS01 has a USB-B Female connector built-in at the PC side, and a USB-A Female connector at the DAC side. The USB-A DAC side connection makes sense, and I was able to plug in my existing cable USB-A end into the HS01.

IDK if Topping has different HS01 sub-models with different connectors built-in on either side of the HS01, but I'd like one with a USB-A Male connector built-in to the PC Side of the HS01.

If the PC end of the HS01 also had a USB-A Female connector instead of the USB-B Female connector it has, I could have used one of my shielded USB-A to USB-A short cables, but instead I had to use the thin (unshielded?) cable Topping provided in the box - or a shielded long USB-B to USB-A DAC cable I already have, I think the shortest I have is a 1/2M, Zero length provided by a built in USB-A Male connector would have been ideal, expected.

I haven't tried connecting a 5V USB-C connection to the HS01 yet.

Even so, I'm not rushing on this testing, it may happen this coming weekend if all goes to plan...(things have come up, likely going to not have time this Holiday).

To leave on a positive note, the HS01 has a great metal build, that was/is a very positive upgrade to the plastic iDefender+ - but IDK how much the metal case really affects the functionality, but it is very nice :)

Update: The HS01 Metal body is getting "Hot", which isn't something it should be doing if it were only "breaking" the ground loop... the HS01 is doing something "else" too. By "Hot" I mean it's more than simply "Warm", after only a few minutes it gets too warm. The iDefender+ runs cool to the touch, even after hours of use.

Update: Using an infra-red Thermometer (set to "object", not "body") the HS01 reads 78.4F vs 68.8F for the iDefender+, and 71.1F for my PC (side), D90 MQA (front) 76.5F, TA-20 (right side, tube area) 82.9F, ambient is 68F (heater off for 1 hour).

Ok, more later...

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #928 of 1,101
Hi, any recommendation for tube amp to pairing with d90se?
my budget below $700
thanks
I really enjoy my Xduoo TA-20 with 2W balanced output, with 2 - 12AU7/12AT7 tubes + fully discrete transistor design, with no OPAMP inline with the XLR input to SS output - which helps with matching to planars and dynamic headphones in a wide impedance range.

Xduoo has a number of Tube and Hybrid Tube/SS headphone amps available to choose from. The TA-20 is MSRP $399, headphone amp only, with about 2W output, and Xduoo has a TA-30 that includes a DAC and has a higher output of 3W.

There is an Xduoo Amplifier thread here on head-fi:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/xduoo-amplifiers.682282/page-53

What have you looked at getting so far?

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #929 of 1,101
I've just opened the HS01 box and plugged it in, and - so far it is working. No noise so far, but these are really first reaction comments - I'm not trying to induce noise - I need to set up GPU tests to generate the noise I heard before, and so this isn't the review.

Oddly, there was a sizeable delay from when I plugged in the USB-A cable end from the HS01 into the PC before sound came out into my headphones - which is odd because the iFi iDefender+ has a much shorter delay. I never noticed a delay with the iDefender+, but the delay with the HS01 was long enough I thought perhaps something was wrong, then audio started up. The HS01 has a 2.5-3 second delay vs the iDefender+ with a less than 1 second delay.

A couple of notes... first the HS01 requires another USB cable (included) to be added to connect from the HS01 to the PC. IDK why Topping didn't build in a USB-A Male connector into the HS01 like iFi did for the iDefender+, as a built in Male Connector does away with the need for another USB cable in the connection chain.

The HS01 has a USB-B Female connector built-in at the PC side, and a USB-A Female connector at the DAC side. The USB-A DAC side connection makes sense, and I was able to plug in my existing cable USB-A end into the HS01.

DK if Topping has different HS01 sub-models with different connectors built-in on either side of the HS01, but I'd like one with a USB-A Male connector built-in to the PC Side of the HS01.

If the PC end of the HS01 also had a USB-A Female connector instead of the USB-B Female connector it has, I could have used one of my shielded USB-A to USB-A short cables, but instead I had to use the thin (unshielded?) cable Topping provided in the box - or a long USB-B to USB-A DAC cable, I think the shortest I have is a 1/2M.

I haven't tried connecting a 5V USB-C connection to the HS01 yet.

Even so, I'm not rushing on this testing, it may happen this coming weekend if all goes to plan...

To leave on a positive note, the HS01 has a great metal build, that was/is a very positive upgrade to the plastic iDefender+ - but IDK how much the metal case really affects the functionality, but it is very nice :)

Update: The HS01 Metal body is getting "Hot", which isn't something it should be doing if it were only "breaking" the ground loop... the HS01 is doing something "else" too. By "Hot" I mean it's more than simply "Warm", after only a few minutes it gets too warm. The iDefender+ runs cool to the touch, even after hours of use.

Update: Using an infra-red Thermometer (set to "object", not "body") the HS01 reads 78.4F vs 68.8F for the iDefender+, and 71.1F for my PC (side), D90 MQA (front) 76.5F, TA-20 (right side, tube area) 82.9F, ambient is 68F (heater off for 1 hour).

Ok, more later...
I too just bought the HS01 as a substitute for my Intona 7055c which seems incompatible with my Roon Nucleus. I can concur that it does get hot into my Kii Three Controller .. but its form factor makes it easier to plug into the controller via a usb A to B stub. FWIW I don’t notice any delay of significance at all.

I would say that its effect is not much different from the Intona. Once I have the time, will fire up my Macmini server to do a proper comparison between the two.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #930 of 1,101
I really enjoy my Xduoo TA-20 with 2W balanced output, with 2 - 12AU7/12AT7 tubes + fully discrete transistor design, with no OPAMP inline with the XLR input to SS output - which helps with matching to planars and dynamic headphones in a wide impedance range.

Xduoo has a number of Tube and Hybrid Tube/SS headphone amps available to choose from. The TA-20 is MSRP $399, headphone amp only, with about 2W output, and Xduoo has a TA-30 that includes a DAC and has a higher output of 3W.

There is an Xduoo Amplifier thread here on head-fi:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/xduoo-amplifiers.682282/page-53

What have you looked at getting so far?
thanks! xduo TA20 will be on my wishlist now.
I just had in my mind about bottlehead crack and woo audio wa6 and xduoo ta-26

Users who are viewing this thread

Back