Topping D90
Sep 26, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #631 of 1,101
Sorry to hear of the medical upset to your life, I've been through a few with wife and kid years ago - I've also winnowed down my audio kit to 3 modes of operation...

Very light mode - FiiO BTR5 which I also used as a PC USB DAC for months, and a FiiO BTR3k which serves as the Nintendo Switch DAC at times otherwise does PC and BT wireless duty along with the BTR5 BT. I use those with IEM's and 3.5mm tipped headphones - they both have 2.5mm balanced and 3.5mm unbalanced - the 2.5mm balanced has more power and I've switched over many IEM's to 2.5mm.

Medium Heavy mode - FiiO M15 - for both mobile and desktop with DK-1 dock, and it has the power and 4.4mm balanced (along with 2.5mm balanced + 3.5mm SE) to power my most power hungry headphones - the reason I mention this is because it provides more presence and impact with a larger wall of sound stage with plenty of detail without tedious harshness. And the M15 in Android mode using UAPP streaming Tidal MQA does full unfolding. The Tidal app still doesn't do quite that, but still sounds great with local storage of files. And, using the M15 as my USB DAC with Windows Tidal MQA also sounds great, but it's not fully unfolding - FiiO is still working on it. M15's "over the ear headphone" mode adds slam, power, and a musical enjoyment to even the IEM's that respond well to it's effect - but all "over the ear" headphones are for the better with it enabled.

Desktop mode - Topping A90 + D90 MQA and that is where my comparison with the M15 which sounds so alive will contrast a bit - I don't mean to say the D90 MQA / A90 don't sound as good, they certainly do and more, but the M15 has it's own character that with some music I prefer - but then I switch over from the M15 to the D90 MQA / A90 after a while when I tire - the M15 can be involving and tiring but the D90 MQA / A90 are always sweet for many hours.

As with any audio equipment it will take time to "break in". For me the A90 / D90 MQA sounded great to start, but I moved through a number of headphones to find the best result at the early hours on time and over a couple of weeks the sound continued to mellow and improve - I'd give it at least a few weeks before deciding - or longer if you can get a good return option. I also broke in several new IEM's and headphones over that time and switched back to the FiiO M15 regularly as I was used to that sound but more and more I was staying on the D90 MQA / A90 until it's 95% of what I use now - 3 months on.

I should let you know I had initial issues with RCA noise and RCA + XLR noise which I solved with new cables - I was about to give up and return the A90 / D90 MQA but stuck with finding a solution for the ground nose coming in through the D90 MQA USB port from my PC. A new USB cable with Ferrite cores at both ends and new RCA / XLR cables made to reject noise reduce the noise to such a low level I never hear it in use. I can only find it at the 3 o'clock position of volume on H Gain of the A90 - but I never need the gain / volume that high, so it's no longer an issue for me. Here's my post + links:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/topping-a90.927412/post-15789465

I think the D90 MQA / A90 are worth the effort, I recommend you consider giving them a chance. Here are some recent listening suggestions I've enjoyed on the D90 MQA / A90:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...w-rules-please-read-them.253245/post-15873414
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/beyerdynamic-amiron-wireless.869613/post-15849498
Thank you for your kind welcome and useful response. First I admit that I am an unusual member on this forum, since in fact 90%+ of my listening now is through large speakers in a large room and only use headphones when I can only listen quietly. Wasn't that way always, but no longer sitting much at a desk. What brought me here was finding this D90 tread and a generally tolerant tone while providing lots of useful experience and advice. I value different points of view but steer clear of polarizing commentary. As with DACs I get listener fatigue from sharp attacks. So again, thanks for having me.

The FiiO sounds like a great solution as a portable player that can serve well in several modes. For me, the balanced outs of the D90 would work best with the balanced inputs of my old Rowland dual mono integrated amp- SQ on the RCA inputs is not of same quality. Also, the DAC will live a sedentary life so portability not a feature for me.

Thanks for reassurance on the burn-in question. Patience will be my mantra. Never had this issue with Meridian equipment so wonder if it had gone through a factory burn-in.

I have been experimenting with cables as you recommended. I found that switching from Audioquest to Cardas Crosslink speaker cables and Hero XLR ICs improved the bass considerably, at small cost since neither are high end cables but reviews praised bass response. So far no noise issues.

So right now plan is to relax and listen and let my ears teach me about the TEAC UD-505 for a couple weeks, and then see if I can audition a D90 MQA for comparison. I must say that the burn-in issue makes for a much more complicated evaluation process. But at least I have a map now.

Sep 27, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #632 of 1,101
Thank you for your kind welcome and useful response. First I admit that I am an unusual member on this forum, since in fact 90%+ of my listening now is through large speakers in a large room and only use headphones when I can only listen quietly. Wasn't that way always, but no longer sitting much at a desk. What brought me here was finding this D90 tread and a generally tolerant tone while providing lots of useful experience and advice. I value different points of view but steer clear of polarizing commentary. As with DACs I get listener fatigue from sharp attacks. So again, thanks for having me.

The FiiO sounds like a great solution as a portable player that can serve well in several modes. For me, the balanced outs of the D90 would work best with the balanced inputs of my old Rowland dual mono integrated amp- SQ on the RCA inputs is not of same quality. Also, the DAC will live a sedentary life so portability not a feature for me.

Thanks for reassurance on the burn-in question. Patience will be my mantra. Never had this issue with Meridian equipment so wonder if it had gone through a factory burn-in.

I have been experimenting with cables as you recommended. I found that switching from Audioquest to Cardas Crosslink speaker cables and Hero XLR ICs improved the bass considerably, at small cost since neither are high end cables but reviews praised bass response. So far no noise issues.

So right now plan is to relax and listen and let my ears teach me about the TEAC UD-505 for a couple weeks, and then see if I can audition a D90 MQA for comparison. I must say that the burn-in issue makes for a much more complicated evaluation process. But at least I have a map now.
The M15 is also nice to have around to compare against the D90 MQA / A90 - seeing how new IEM's / Headphones perform - especially with the "over the ears headphone" mode. Sometimes I prefer one over the other during initial burn-in - I can drive a new IEM on the M15 or A90 24/7 and although I haven't used it extensively yet the A90 will drive multiple headphones at the same time while listening through the M15. Tidal can drive exclusive to one or the other DAC while the PC is set to drive another DAC.

There are now newer DAP's, the iBasso DX220 MAX, the Hiby R8, and Shanling M8 (coming soon) which are in a similar range of output and cost to the M15.

Sometimes it's nice to kick back on the couch with headphones on while the speakers are pointing in the wrong perspective - if you get tired of listening to one you can switch it up and change to a different system - headphones are great for "normal" volume listening while excluding outside sounds.

If you are starting back into headphones / IEM's - you don't spend a lot of time using them as a percentage of your listening - there may be an acclimation period during which you might experience discomfort with IEM's inside your ears or headphone weight on your head / ears along with the more directed sound driving into your ears. I experience a bit of that when I first started with IEM's and again when I got the M15, by the time I got the D90 MQA / A90 I had already built up my tolerance so I haven't experienced fatigue.

It's a personal journey, which is lots more fun when I relax and enjoy it. :)

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #633 of 1,101
You can upsample a lossy 128kHz MP3 to 192kHz bitrate. The sound quality would still remain poor. A well recorded lossless CD (16-bit, 44.1kHz) can sound amazing.

I've heard some people suggest that some of the 'unfolding' of an MQA file may not be quite lossless, but I don't really want to get into any MQA-good-bad debate! I have both TIDAL and Qobuz and am busy buying CDs again for songs that I really like!

As far as i know, a capable DAC can unfold an MQA file 8x. normal processing of MQA, not really upsampling. its like unzipping your compressed folder. anyway, i agree that after all it all depends on the quality of the original recording.. cheers!

Sep 29, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #634 of 1,101
The M15 is also nice to have around to compare against the D90 MQA / A90 - seeing how new IEM's / Headphones perform - especially with the "over the ears headphone" mode. Sometimes I prefer one over the other during initial burn-in - I can drive a new IEM on the M15 or A90 24/7 and although I haven't used it extensively yet the A90 will drive multiple headphones at the same time while listening through the M15. Tidal can drive exclusive to one or the other DAC while the PC is set to drive another DAC.

There are now newer DAP's, the iBasso DX220 MAX, the Hiby R8, and Shanling M8 (coming soon) which are in a similar range of output and cost to the M15.

Sometimes it's nice to kick back on the couch with headphones on while the speakers are pointing in the wrong perspective - if you get tired of listening to one you can switch it up and change to a different system - headphones are great for "normal" volume listening while excluding outside sounds.

If you are starting back into headphones / IEM's - you don't spend a lot of time using them as a percentage of your listening - there may be an acclimation period during which you might experience discomfort with IEM's inside your ears or headphone weight on your head / ears along with the more directed sound driving into your ears. I experience a bit of that when I first started with IEM's and again when I got the M15, by the time I got the D90 MQA / A90 I had already built up my tolerance so I haven't experienced fatigue.

It's a personal journey, which is lots more fun when I relax and enjoy it. :)
I finally got my Senn HD700 back after what was supposed to be a brief exchange with a friend's HD650. For me, the Senn HD700 is so comfortable I never get tired of wearing them. The TEAC can drive the HD700 ok. I have used them mainly for almost background music, relaxed listening to classical and jazz while doing light computer work or reading. For sure I can't listen to vocals or opera when I really need to think or create, at least with earphones- just too much close interference, my left brain and ears fighting for attention. I used to think that multi-tasking was the holy grail- so highly rewarded in modern society. The words themselves (multi and tasking) reflect a process that I finally decided is not compatible with my preferred intention to experience as much of my daily life as possible with an open, unified and effortless attention. Relaxation and joy naturally flow from that type of experience, no need to try to make it happen. Still plenty of opportunities during the day to focus narrowly and get necessary work done like balancing the checkbook or figuring out room correction software like REW (ouch!), and music is a valued companion in those times too. But that type of focus is completely different from the sort of immersive experience of recorded music I hold most dearly: hearing all the sounds together as a whole yet aware of every detail and contribution, seeing the performers in their places and personas, feeling in my body the pace and the bass (way below 20 Hz), suspended in the moments of silence, timelessly integrating memories of live performances of the music where I was present as performer or audience, absorbing but not analyzing the message of theme or lyrics. I am sure others can get that immersive experience with their headphones. Probably because of my own musical upbringing, I get into that state of mind and body with big speakers in a big room with a good enough stereo system, and only then if I manage to leave behind my busy thinking. As you said, a personal journey.

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #635 of 1,101
I’m currently using the dac of Sr15 with a90. (Connect with 3.5mm to rca cable) I steam music with tidal and Spotify app from my SR15. If I upgrade to D90 dac how much would the sound quality inprove? Would I also still be able to connect my SR15 to the d90 through 3.5mm to rca cable and steam music from the SR15? As I don’t want to connect my pc to the d90 as another setup is already connected and being used with the pc.

thanks for all help in advance

Sep 29, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #636 of 1,101
I finally got my Senn HD700 back after what was supposed to be a brief exchange with a friend's HD650. For me, the Senn HD700 is so comfortable I never get tired of wearing them. The TEAC can drive the HD700 ok. I have used them mainly for almost background music, relaxed listening to classical and jazz while doing light computer work or reading. For sure I can't listen to vocals or opera when I really need to think or create, at least with earphones- just too much close interference, my left brain and ears fighting for attention. I used to think that multi-tasking was the holy grail- so highly rewarded in modern society. The words themselves (multi and tasking) reflect a process that I finally decided is not compatible with my preferred intention to experience as much of my daily life as possible with an open, unified and effortless attention. Relaxation and joy naturally flow from that type of experience, no need to try to make it happen. Still plenty of opportunities during the day to focus narrowly and get necessary work done like balancing the checkbook or figuring out room correction software like REW (ouch!), and music is a valued companion in those times too. But that type of focus is completely different from the sort of immersive experience of recorded music I hold most dearly: hearing all the sounds together as a whole yet aware of every detail and contribution, seeing the performers in their places and personas, feeling in my body the pace and the bass (way below 20 Hz), suspended in the moments of silence, timelessly integrating memories of live performances of the music where I was present as performer or audience, absorbing but not analyzing the message of theme or lyrics. I am sure others can get that immersive experience with their headphones. Probably because of my own musical upbringing, I get into that state of mind and body with big speakers in a big room with a good enough stereo system, and only then if I manage to leave behind my busy thinking. As you said, a personal journey.
Well said.

Sep 29, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #637 of 1,101
Well said.
Thanks for your feedback, which leads me to think we share some similarities in what we look for in listening to music. I have a particular question for you, since it looks like you own a Topping D70 which has the same AK4497 dual chip setup as the TEAC UD-505 I am currently auditioning. Are you unsatisfied by the D70 in some ways that you think might be addressed by the D90/AK4499? While the TEAC & Topping AK4497 DACs got excellent reviews, once the D90 arrived it was like BC-AD for most reviewers: more dynamic, better detail, more treble extension, faster transients, etc. But what holds me back are the muffled caveats even in the midst of the kudos: a little dry, forward sound, extremely revealing, needs careful system matching, etc. I am sure both sides of this coin are true and you have to know what you are looking for or you won't make the right choice. I have deliberately chosen components in my system to create a relaxed analog-type sound and am dubious that pairing a clinically detailed DAC with that system will be a happy marriage. Please share your thoughts on the D70/AK 4497 vs D90/AK4499 if you can.

Sep 29, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #638 of 1,101
Thanks for your feedback, which leads me to think we share some similarities in what we look for in listening to music. I have a particular question for you, since it looks like you own a Topping D70 which has the same AK4497 dual chip setup as the TEAC UD-505 I am currently auditioning. Are you unsatisfied by the D70 in some ways that you think might be addressed by the D90/AK4499? While the TEAC & Topping AK4497 DACs got excellent reviews, once the D90 arrived it was like BC-AD for most reviewers: more dynamic, better detail, more treble extension, faster transients, etc. But what holds me back are the muffled caveats even in the midst of the kudos: a little dry, forward sound, extremely revealing, needs careful system matching, etc. I am sure both sides of this coin are true and you have to know what you are looking for or you won't make the right choice. I have deliberately chosen components in my system to create a relaxed analog-type sound and am dubious that pairing a clinically detailed DAC with that system will be a happy marriage. Please share your thoughts on the D70/AK 4497 vs D90/AK4499 if you can.
I can only speak to the D70 (I haven't heard the 90 yet) which I'm playing through a THX 789. Personally I think the D70 is quite revealing but I typically listen via Focal Elex HP's. I have 61 yo ears and a bit revealing suits me but if you're accustomed to a more analog sound it may take some adjustment. I believe it may be a bit easier to tame a bright DAC vs elicit more detail from a less detailed DAC. How do you like the sound of the DAC you're presently using? I'm not familiar with TEAC DAC's. I know measurements aren't the end-all but have you read the ASR review on the D90?

Sep 29, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #639 of 1,101
I can only speak to the D70 (I haven't heard the 90 yet) which I'm playing through a THX 789. Personally I think the D70 is quite revealing but I typically listen via Focal Elex HP's. I have 61 yo ears and a bit revealing suits me but if you're accustomed to a more analog sound it may take some adjustment. I believe it may be a bit easier to tame a bright DAC vs elicit more detail from a less detailed DAC. How do you like the sound of the DAC you're presently using? I'm not familiar with TEAC DAC's. I know measurements aren't the end-all but have you read the ASR review on the D90?
Just found a brief review of your present DAC on ASR.

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-of-teac-nt-505.9904/

Sep 30, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #640 of 1,101
[/QUOTE Appreciate your response but not sure I can apply it except to keep in mind the fit of the DAC's qualities in the whole system. Seems like the D90 may be an even better fit in your system than the D70. ASR "reviews" mean nothing to me, but here are my thoughts after looking at the link you provided. The reviewer who despite a quite modest number of posts is listed as a Senior Member. Unlike the forum founder Amir who usually does the reviews and has impressive credentials and holds a pretty neutral viewpoint, I see nothing that qualifies this man to do this review other than that he has an audio analyzer. He is located in China and is reviewing the flagship DAC of one of the oldest and most respected Japanese manufacturers of audio equipment. The TEAC Reference series shares many patented technologies with the highly acclaimed Esoteric line of DACs. With that pedigree and the quality of Japanese manufacturing these measurements are unexpected, although as with any component a defective unit could have been delivered for testing. One forum member asks " How does the distortion rise so high & where are the high harmonics coming from? I've never seen those outputs from any AK chip. The linearity response seems awry". The reviewer's response: " Some of these designs obviously cause problems in the measurements. For example, on a digital processing board. The specifications of the crystal oscillator do not seem to be very good.. A low specification PLL chip is used on the digital signal path". In contrast to those general assertions, TEAC product lit for the NT-505 states " a more accurate on-board clock is generated by a high-precision, low phase-noise, audio-grade crystal oscillator for USB transfer mode. NT-505 accommodates two on-board clocks exclusively for 44.1 and 48kHz... and applies the appropriate one to incoming digital signals- multiples of 44.1 or 48kHz-to reproduce identical sound to the original..." So clearly TEAC feels comfortable highlighting its clock technology (and its end to end dual mono digital to analog paths in other descriptions). We've all heard that when something looks too good to be true, it probably isn't. I smell a rat here- when something looks too bad to be true, it probably isn't. I think the ASR reviewer got it right in saying "Some of these designs obviously cause problems in the measurements". I think it's quite possible that in this case the measurements caused the problems, because it just doesn't pass the smell test. I don't believe measurements just because they come out of an impressive black box and have a lot of zeros after the decimal point.

That took 10X more effort than any ASR review deserves in my book. The signature of the ASR reviewer above says "The truth is within the measurement range of APx555B". Each to his own truth. This is not a "review" to me, just a bunch of irrelevant and probably inaccurate measurements. I know where I fall on the spectrum of subjective vs objective reviews. ASR has this grand chart ranking and recommending DACs by their SINAD. This is a reduction to absurdity to me. I don't listen to measurements, I listen with my ears and my heart and my body. I have been unable to find one negative review by an owner of a TEAC NT-505. Most are outright enthusiastic. So I will just continue auditioning my TEAC DAC to see if it gives me the experience I value in listening to music. So far, it's getting better.

Sep 30, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #641 of 1,101
If I connect my Dap to a90/d90 combo and steam music off my Dap. The Dap will simply work as music remote control. The dac and amp of the Dap will not work right? As only the dac of the d90 and the amp of the a90 will function right?

Also I can use 3.5 mm to rca to connect Dap to d90 right?

Will the remote control of d90 be able to turn up and down the volume of the a90?

thanks

Sep 30, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #642 of 1,101
If I connect my Dap to a90/d90 combo and steam music off my Dap. The Dap will simply work as music remote control. The dac and amp of the Dap will not work right? As only the dac of the d90 and the amp of the a90 will function right?

Also I can use 3.5 mm to rca to connect Dap to d90 right?

Will the remote control of d90 be able to turn up and down the volume of the a90?

thanks

I'm confused, you need a digital connection like coaxical to go from Dap to D90. If that's what you mean then yes that will work.
Volume control will also work.

Sep 30, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #643 of 1,101
I'm confused, you need a digital connection like coaxical to go from Dap to D90. If that's what you mean then yes that will work.
Volume control will also work.
Ok I think I got things mixed up because I use 3.5 mm to rca to connect Dap to A90 but to connect Dap to D90 I need coaxical right?

thanks

Sep 30, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #645 of 1,101
Or USB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back