Topping D90
Sep 20, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #616 of 1,101
Ok thanks, I read up on file formats. Still, I would expect it to say FLAC when I stream from qobuz. And nothing when nothing is playing.

Sep 20, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #617 of 1,101
I think the DAC cannot differentiate between FLAC vs MP3. It knows the bit depth, the bitrate, and the format (PCM or DSD).

Sep 21, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #619 of 1,101
I'm experiencing clipping when using filter 1. When I switch filters the problem goes away. I'm using xlr connections in dac mode. Listening to tidal through audirvana. Are linear fast/ sharp roll-off filters more susceptible to intersample overs? II never had this issue with the d50s linear filter.

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #620 of 1,101
Whats the difference between dsd filters 1 and 2? The user manual says filter 1 is 37khz and filter 2 is 65khz.

Sep 25, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #621 of 1,101
New member here looking for thoughts on if D90 MQA would be a good path to explore. Long story short: Spent 26 years within the Meridian Audio cocoon, just doing incremental UGs on DACs and speakers, always satisfied. Enjoyed TIDAL/Roon MQA after final speaker UG, usually better than FLAC files, though always pleased enough there too. Desktop used with Sennheiser HD 650. Then life changed, had to sell all my Meridian gear to cover medical expenses. Slowly assembling a much less expensive system from used gear. So currently a Rowland Concerto integrated amp, Salk Song3 speakers (RAAL tweeter), Intel NUC with 140,000 FLAC tracks on local USB, Bel Canto CDT3 transport, Node 2i streamer, TEAC UD-505 DAC. For comparison with these separates I am still holding onto the only leftover Meridian piece, an older non-MQA 808.3 CD -preamp-streamer. I am trying out the TEAC after unsatisfying trials with Sabre and R2R DACs (not really interested in discussing that at this point, maybe later). Chose the AK 4497 TEAC UD-505 figuring it might be a better fit with my tastes- absolutely avoid any listening fatigue from sharp forward midrange and treble, relax into the music with an immersive sound stage presence, and feel a palpable and nimble bass. I played string bass in orchestras and bands for 30 years so an integrated sense of live performance is what I look for, not particular musical detail. Out of the box the TEAC sounded bad- 2 speaker sound with little in-between, vocals like coming from inside a can, and ponderous bass. Now after nearly 75 hrs of playing much better- good but not great imaging, natural vocal tones, much better bass but still some congestion with complex rhythms.

I have no previous experience with DAC burn-in, so first question: How long does this process take? How much improvement to expect?

Second question: What are the pros and cons of the D90 MQA implementation of the AK 4499 for a person with my tastes? I do miss the MQA streaming experience, but can live w/o it if the cost is a too-detailed and sharp-edged sound that would likely tire out my 75 year old ears that have become rather set in their ways. Appreciate any help here.

Sep 25, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #622 of 1,101
New member here looking for thoughts on if D90 MQA would be a good path to explore. Long story short: Spent 26 years within the Meridian Audio cocoon, just doing incremental UGs on DACs and speakers, always satisfied. Enjoyed TIDAL/Roon MQA after final speaker UG, usually better than FLAC files, though always pleased enough there too. Desktop used with Sennheiser HD 650. Then life changed, had to sell all my Meridian gear to cover medical expenses. Slowly assembling a much less expensive system from used gear. So currently a Rowland Concerto integrated amp, Salk Song3 speakers (RAAL tweeter), Intel NUC with 140,000 FLAC tracks on local USB, Bel Canto CDT3 transport, Node 2i streamer, TEAC UD-505 DAC. For comparison with these separates I am still holding onto the only leftover Meridian piece, an older non-MQA 808.3 CD -preamp-streamer. I am trying out the TEAC after unsatisfying trials with Sabre and R2R DACs (not really interested in discussing that at this point, maybe later). Chose the AK 4497 TEAC UD-505 figuring it might be a better fit with my tastes- absolutely avoid any listening fatigue from sharp forward midrange and treble, relax into the music with an immersive sound stage presence, and feel a palpable and nimble bass. I played string bass in orchestras and bands for 30 years so an integrated sense of live performance is what I look for, not particular musical detail. Out of the box the TEAC sounded bad- 2 speaker sound with little in-between, vocals like coming from inside a can, and ponderous bass. Now after nearly 75 hrs of playing much better- good but not great imaging, natural vocal tones, much better bass but still some congestion with complex rhythms.

I have no previous experience with DAC burn-in, so first question: How long does this process take? How much improvement to expect?

Second question: What are the pros and cons of the D90 MQA implementation of the AK 4499 for a person with my tastes? I do miss the MQA streaming experience, but can live w/o it if the cost is a too-detailed and sharp-edged sound that would likely tire out my 75 year old ears that have become rather set in their ways. Appreciate any help here.
Sorry to hear of the medical upset to your life, I've been through a few with wife and kid years ago - I've also winnowed down my audio kit to 3 modes of operation...

Very light mode - FiiO BTR5 which I also used as a PC USB DAC for months, and a FiiO BTR3k which serves as the Nintendo Switch DAC at times otherwise does PC and BT wireless duty along with the BTR5 BT. I use those with IEM's and 3.5mm tipped headphones - they both have 2.5mm balanced and 3.5mm unbalanced - the 2.5mm balanced has more power and I've switched over many IEM's to 2.5mm.

Medium Heavy mode - FiiO M15 - for both mobile and desktop with DK-1 dock, and it has the power and 4.4mm balanced (along with 2.5mm balanced + 3.5mm SE) to power my most power hungry headphones - the reason I mention this is because it provides more presence and impact with a larger wall of sound stage with plenty of detail without tedious harshness. And the M15 in Android mode using UAPP streaming Tidal MQA does full unfolding. The Tidal app still doesn't do quite that, but still sounds great with local storage of files. And, using the M15 as my USB DAC with Windows Tidal MQA also sounds great, but it's not fully unfolding - FiiO is still working on it. M15's "over the ear headphone" mode adds slam, power, and a musical enjoyment to even the IEM's that respond well to it's effect - but all "over the ear" headphones are for the better with it enabled.

Desktop mode - Topping A90 + D90 MQA and that is where my comparison with the M15 which sounds so alive will contrast a bit - I don't mean to say the D90 MQA / A90 don't sound as good, they certainly do and more, but the M15 has it's own character that with some music I prefer - but then I switch over from the M15 to the D90 MQA / A90 after a while when I tire - the M15 can be involving and tiring but the D90 MQA / A90 are always sweet for many hours.

As with any audio equipment it will take time to "break in". For me the A90 / D90 MQA sounded great to start, but I moved through a number of headphones to find the best result at the early hours on time and over a couple of weeks the sound continued to mellow and improve - I'd give it at least a few weeks before deciding - or longer if you can get a good return option. I also broke in several new IEM's and headphones over that time and switched back to the FiiO M15 regularly as I was used to that sound but more and more I was staying on the D90 MQA / A90 until it's 95% of what I use now - 3 months on.

I should let you know I had initial issues with RCA noise and RCA + XLR noise which I solved with new cables - I was about to give up and return the A90 / D90 MQA but stuck with finding a solution for the ground nose coming in through the D90 MQA USB port from my PC. A new USB cable with Ferrite cores at both ends and new RCA / XLR cables made to reject noise reduce the noise to such a low level I never hear it in use. I can only find it at the 3 o'clock position of volume on H Gain of the A90 - but I never need the gain / volume that high, so it's no longer an issue for me. Here's my post + links:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/topping-a90.927412/post-15789465

I think the D90 MQA / A90 are worth the effort, I recommend you consider giving them a chance. Here are some recent listening suggestions I've enjoyed on the D90 MQA / A90:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...w-rules-please-read-them.253245/post-15873414
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/beyerdynamic-amiron-wireless.869613/post-15849498

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #623 of 1,101
i did consider the Orchid. Dont get me wrong the clarity and detail is addicting with rme. I would hate to lose that if i sent it back. would an after market power supply fix soundstage like a teddy pardoOr others. Or am i still in break in period and its closed in and will open up with more hours on it.
I'd stick it out with the Orchid if you already have gone through purchase and give it and the tube the time it needs to burn in, about a month according to the MHDTLAB website:

Burn in
The burn in time will takes about 1 days for components and about one month for tube.
The tube will be a big issue in this process. The installed tube GE 5670, date coded 1987, is the last generation of western industry, the golden tube ages. In fact is a good tube but need quite a long time to burn in and aging. The famous tube are all about 1950s' tube as they were well aging already just need burn in.
http://www.mhdtlab.com/tube.htm

And, you can acquire other tubes to suit your taste, per the list on that page there are lots of choices :)

Sep 26, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #624 of 1,101
Thanks for this info about the fuse amperage as I have been looking for it as well. A Synergistic Orange did wonders for the treble of my main system and I have been wondering if it might have a beneficial effect on the D90, which I moved to my desktop system because I found it irritatingly bright and fatiguing when it was in my main system.

I have a threshold question, though: how do I access the fuse? :)

I spent part of this evening picking at the fuse cover next to the IEC receptacle, both with fingernail and small screwdriver. I also put slight pressure on the small plastic rib that runs into the IEC receptacle. Nothing budged.

My dealer, Apos, didn’t know about the fuse and Topping’s service department hasn’t responded to my email asking about removing it, so I hope to glean that information here. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #625 of 1,101
the differences are mimimal. the hugo 2 has a more upfront treble 100%. its more in your face/brighter. everything else is quite similar though.

i use both in my system as reguarly switch them to see the difference. i keep the hugo 2 cause it has the headphone amp as well which i can you use when travelling or around my house etc

the D90 is an incredible dac for the money

sorry to dig up an old post, is the h2 more transparent apart from being more "in your face"?

Sep 26, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #626 of 1,101
Thanks for this info about the fuse amperage as I have been looking for it as well. A Synergistic Orange did wonders for the treble of my main system and I have been wondering if it might have a beneficial effect on the D90, which I moved to my desktop system because I found it irritatingly bright and fatiguing when it was in my main system.

I have a threshold question, though: how do I access the fuse? :)

I spent part of this evening picking at the fuse cover next to the IEC receptacle, both with fingernail and small screwdriver. I also put slight pressure on the small plastic rib that runs into the IEC receptacle. Nothing budged.

My dealer, Apos, didn’t know about the fuse and Topping’s service department hasn’t responded to my email asking about removing it, so I hope to glean that information here. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Okay, I figured it out. The bluetooth antenna was preventing me from getting leverage as I pried the holder outward with a screwdriver. Reorienting it for the moment allowed me to get the holder out.

It turns out there are TWO fuses in there, values unspecified. That just doubled the cost of upgrading to audio-oriented fuses.

Sep 26, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #627 of 1,101
Sorry to hear of the medical upset to your life, I've been through a few with wife and kid years ago - I've also winnowed down my audio kit to 3 modes of operation...

Very light mode - FiiO BTR5 which I also used as a PC USB DAC for months, and a FiiO BTR3k which serves as the Nintendo Switch DAC at times otherwise does PC and BT wireless duty along with the BTR5 BT. I use those with IEM's and 3.5mm tipped headphones - they both have 2.5mm balanced and 3.5mm unbalanced - the 2.5mm balanced has more power and I've switched over many IEM's to 2.5mm.

Medium Heavy mode - FiiO M15 - for both mobile and desktop with DK-1 dock, and it has the power and 4.4mm balanced (along with 2.5mm balanced + 3.5mm SE) to power my most power hungry headphones - the reason I mention this is because it provides more presence and impact with a larger wall of sound stage with plenty of detail without tedious harshness. And the M15 in Android mode using UAPP streaming Tidal MQA does full unfolding. The Tidal app still doesn't do quite that, but still sounds great with local storage of files. And, using the M15 as my USB DAC with Windows Tidal MQA also sounds great, but it's not fully unfolding - FiiO is still working on it. M15's "over the ear headphone" mode adds slam, power, and a musical enjoyment to even the IEM's that respond well to it's effect - but all "over the ear" headphones are for the better with it enabled.

Desktop mode - Topping A90 + D90 MQA and that is where my comparison with the M15 which sounds so alive will contrast a bit - I don't mean to say the D90 MQA / A90 don't sound as good, they certainly do and more, but the M15 has it's own character that with some music I prefer - but then I switch over from the M15 to the D90 MQA / A90 after a while when I tire - the M15 can be involving and tiring but the D90 MQA / A90 are always sweet for many hours.

As with any audio equipment it will take time to "break in". For me the A90 / D90 MQA sounded great to start, but I moved through a number of headphones to find the best result at the early hours on time and over a couple of weeks the sound continued to mellow and improve - I'd give it at least a few weeks before deciding - or longer if you can get a good return option. I also broke in several new IEM's and headphones over that time and switched back to the FiiO M15 regularly as I was used to that sound but more and more I was staying on the D90 MQA / A90 until it's 95% of what I use now - 3 months on.

I should let you know I had initial issues with RCA noise and RCA + XLR noise which I solved with new cables - I was about to give up and return the A90 / D90 MQA but stuck with finding a solution for the ground nose coming in through the D90 MQA USB port from my PC. A new USB cable with Ferrite cores at both ends and new RCA / XLR cables made to reject noise reduce the noise to such a low level I never hear it in use. I can only find it at the 3 o'clock position of volume on H Gain of the A90 - but I never need the gain / volume that high, so it's no longer an issue for me. Here's my post + links:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/topping-a90.927412/post-15789465

I think the D90 MQA / A90 are worth the effort, I recommend you consider giving them a chance. Here are some recent listening suggestions I've enjoyed on the D90 MQA / A90:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...w-rules-please-read-them.253245/post-15873414
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/beyerdynamic-amiron-wireless.869613/post-15849498
Clean sound whitout noise aka M15 will always sound very engaging, exciting with great depth while D90 will never get such clean source as the battery powered dap. Usb input is terrible, but since it have very soft attack it will not fatigue as much.

Sep 26, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #630 of 1,101
It turns out there are TWO fuses in there, values unspecified. That just doubled the cost of upgrading to audio-oriented fuses.
I suspect, the second fuse is a spare one. Check it out. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back