Topping D90
Sep 4, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #601 of 1,101
My only DAC/Amp which I am already happy with is an iFi micro BL, but have the D90/A90 on the way that will hopefully be here next week. Although different as the Dragonfly, your post gives me hope that I will see a noticeable difference too.

Haven't heard the iFi product line but the instrument separation is noticeably better compared to the dragonfly and the sound stage is wider. The treble has more sparkle, but the overall tone is more neutral.
I'm actually not sure if I prefer this over the dragonfly which sound more musical to me albeit lacking the details. To give you a weird example, I prefer watching movies in 1080P as I find the additional details in 4k distracting me from enjoying the movie (if that makes any sense). These are just my initial impressions of course.

What cans do you plan on running them on? I'd love to know your impressions on the A90 once you have it.

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #602 of 1,101
Only took 4 days for delivery to Canada. WOW.
I'm coming from a portable dac (original Dragonfly) and the detail retrieval is night and day. I'd say the dragonfly sounds a bit more muffled but more musical? The D90 sounds a lot more airier and detailed, but more neutral. Definitely higher in fidelity. Good stuff.
What amp and headphones have you paired your D90 with?

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #603 of 1,101
What amp and headphones have you paired your D90 with?

I'm still using my trusty 7 year old Schiit Lyr :)
My HE500 sound noticeably brighter (less warm) with the D90, but with more resolution/details and airiness to the sound. I'm now looking for warmer sounding tubes to complement the sound signature. These are all initial impressions of course! The K701 sound superb on it as well.

Sep 13, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #604 of 1,101
Does anyone know how/if much better the sound is via hdmi i2s on the Topping D90 VS USB connected to a clean USB network source?
I'm debating about maybe picking up a SU-6 to connect to a network streamer just for that i2s connection but unsure if it would actually be better.

Sep 13, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #605 of 1,101
Tried both and couldn’t really hear a difference ( with good cables) but it’s good being able to change things around on a regular basis.

Sep 14, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #606 of 1,101
Sep 14, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #607 of 1,101
Hi new here. I thought maybe someone could recommend the d90 since so many d90 users on this thread compared to the RME adi-2. Im still on my 30 day trial with rme adi2 but find soundstage is a little lacking using with speakers. I have been running it in 24/7 For a week or so With a mac bookpro still searching for a streamer.Maybe mac book is part of problem. i understand the d90 and rme are very close in sonics with rme having more features. is there anyone that has compared rme to d90 sound stage To rme or other dacs. Im a turntable guy and this is my first dac. My cd player is an Exemplar Audio modded tubed Oppo 105 so solid state is new to me with digital. I love how clear the rme is bass is full its not sterile or harsh just soundstage is important to me and would rather send it back and try d90 if soundstage is better and is as good as rme sonicly. hope this isnt considered hi jacking a thread,thanks for any insight.

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #608 of 1,101
Im a turntable guy and this is my first dac. My cd player is an Exemplar Audio modded tubed Oppo 105 so solid state is new to me with digital. I love how clear the rme is bass is full its not sterile or harsh just soundstage is important to me....
For a turntable guy I suggest a good R2R DAC, not Delta Sigma things; i.e. Audio GD R1, alternatively Denafrips Ares II. I only mention basic models, there are more. A bass will be full body and will have natural top treble reproduction like from turntable. Not fatiguing during long listening sessions. On a good acoustic recording you will immediately notice reverbations on a decay (piano notes, a real guitar sound, a full gong transitions to a different frequencies - not flatened) missing in your CD player (otherwise good sounding player).

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #609 of 1,101
i did consider the Orchid. Dont get me wrong the clarity and detail is addicting with rme. I would hate to lose that if i sent it back. would an after market power supply fix soundstage like a teddy pardoOr others. Or am i still in break in period and its closed in and will open up with more hours on it.

Sep 15, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #610 of 1,101
What's the typical delivery time when ordering from apos? I know they are having a rough time with covid+wildfires so I'm not concerned just curious.

Sep 15, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #611 of 1,101
It may depend where they ship from. I bought my D90 in June from Apos and it shipped from China (I believe that Apos is associated with, or owned by, the Chinese audio seller Shenzhenaudio). I ordered it on a Wednesday, they bumped shipping from China to the fastest method available at no charge, and it was delivered to me in New Jersey on Monday. This is my only purchase from Apos, but I gather this is fairly typical.

Sep 15, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #612 of 1,101
It may depend where they ship from. I bought my D90 in June from Apos and it shipped from China (I believe that Apos is associated with, or owned by, the Chinese audio seller Shenzhenaudio). I ordered it on a Wednesday, they bumped shipping from China to the fastest method available at no charge, and it was delivered to me in New Jersey on Monday. This is my only purchase from Apos, but I gather this is fairly typical.

Yep, I've ordered from APOS on several occasions and all have been delivered within a week from China. Pretty impressive.

Sep 19, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #613 of 1,101
How does one know when streaming Tidal MQA from ROON whether or not the Topping D90 is unfolding to maximum rate?

I have the device setup default as "Decoder and Renderer" and "Enable MQA Core Decoder" on.

In roon the path shows Enhanced at for example Lady Gaga's "Shallow" at 48kHz. On the D90 display it shows 48kHz with MQA on the top right corner. However when I use other DACs that dont have native MQA this track would show 96kHz on the other DACs.

Just want to figure out if i've set this up properly to take full advantage of the native MQA of the D90.

Thank you

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #614 of 1,101
Hi guys. Just got a D90 and I have a question I hope you can help with. The screen shows "PCM", while I don't have PCM files, and even when nothing is playing. Is there a way to switch that off?

Sep 20, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #615 of 1,101
Hi guys. Just got a D90 and I have a question I hope you can help with. The screen shows "PCM", while I don't have PCM files, and even when nothing is playing. Is there a way to switch that off?
It's either PCM or DSD. Most music is fundamentally PCM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back