TOPPING D90 MQA ---AK4499 AK4118 Full Balanced DAC Bluetooth 5.0
Apr 28, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #18 of 44
Mine is scheduled to arrive Thursday

Got here yesterday afternoon! Hooked it up and at first it was a bit underwhelming. It took about an hour before it got warmed up and it made a big difference. All of a sudden everything seemed to fall into place. Did a quick comparison with my PS Audio DS Sr and yes there's a noticeable difference in favor of the DS Sr, but the D90 MQA sounds really good! The D90 seems to put every detail in focus maybe at a fractional loss of "space and air". For the price, I doubt you'd find anything much better, maybe different, but not a whole lot better.

Apr 28, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #19 of 44
Got here yesterday afternoon! Hooked it up and at first it was a bit underwhelming. It took about an hour before it got warmed up and it made a big difference. All of a sudden everything seemed to fall into place. Did a quick comparison with my PS Audio DS Sr and yes there's a noticeable difference in favor of the DS Sr, but the D90 MQA sounds really good! The D90 seems to put every detail in focus maybe at a fractional loss of "space and air". For the price, I doubt you'd find anything much better, maybe different, but not a whole lot better.
Juat the fact, that you're comparing it with 6k dac is fascinating for me!

May 5, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #20 of 44
What am I doing wrong? I am not getting the "MQA" logo instead getting "PCM" on the display when I am streaming a MQA track on Tidal.

My setup is Tidal app streaming tracks at Master quality level on PC -> VB audio Bridge -> Jplay Classic -> Matrix USB card -> Mapleshade USB cable -> D90 MQA DAC.

I've changed the dac setting from "pre" to "dac".

I was actually a happy D90 owner and got a killer deal but returned it to get the MQA to unfold. So far, I paid a $200 premium for a nice MQA logo on my dac... sigh.

Edit: Solved it by watching this video:

Need to set Tidal to exclusive mode first.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #21 of 44
this dac marvel is ringing in my system ...:L3000::darthsmile::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_2917.jpg
    IMG_2917.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
May 18, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #26 of 44
Thanks! Much appreciated.
Also if you purchase or plan on purchasing MQA albums those songs will play back on non MQA devices too.... so you can use those files on any playback device you have and if you have a MQA compliant playback device like the D90MQA thats just icing on the cake as the MQA files are decoded as Master Quality Audio... streaming on TIDAL is nice but don't forget you can also buy your own MQA files... an example is here... and there are other sources too... https://www.prostudiomasters.com/search?cs=1&q=doors#x

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #27 of 44
I can't quite make out from the spec sheets if I can control the volume of the XLR outputs on the D90 MQA? It looks like a near perfect fit for my desktop, but I need volume control for my active monitors.

May 20, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #28 of 44
I stumbled onto another site yesterday and they were talking about the AKM DAC chip and how it works better if you feed it DSD256 material via software... the conversation was, is it better to use Roon or HQPlayer for the DSD256 conversion... I have used on some of my other equipment JRiver Media Center and Onkyo HF Player to complete the DSD conversion... I now think I know why Fiio has now added DSD conversion to their M15 and M11PRO DAPs.... the AKM DAC chips work better if you feed the DAC with DSD material via software as the DAC chip handles the material differently and better... if you look at the AKM 4499 DAC spec sheet then you can see that the DAC works better at all DSD formats but seems a bit noiser at DSD512... so it looks like DSD256 is the sweet spot... here is the link if you want to read about it... https://community.roonlabs.com/t/hqplayer-vs-roon/68327/6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back