Topping D30 DSD DAC XMOS/CS4398
Jun 18, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #437 of 512
The modi 2u is more expensive, and lately a lot of polemic about measurements have surfaced, however what I understand is that topping uses a better XMOS USB interface vs modi's cmedia, and spdif seems to be a bit noisier in the topping.

I think that they are both respectable units and all the defects menctioned should be inaudible, so I would let my ears judge.

Price/performance ratio is probably better for topping, but for USA folks product warranty should be better with schiit.

Jun 20, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #439 of 512
Has anyone tried to connect the D30 to an Android phone? It should work but I don't have an OTG cable to try it myself.
It works with my moto Z play droid

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #440 of 512
I'm experiencing a bit of a problem with my D30.

There is a constant crackling noise, like a badly tuned radio or a worn out record player, mostly in the right channel.
I've tried the D30 with computers and my phone, as well as two headphone amps, and the noise is the same.

Is it ****ed or can it be fixed?

EDIT:
Seller recommended trying a new USB cable, so I did.
And the noise seems to be gone.

EDIT the second:
Nope, noise came back. Shoot.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #441 of 512
try to replace with the seller? Sometimes drivers can sause that.sometimes Cellphone close by or bad shielding. If the noise disapeared when you swapped USB cables it is Possible that the USB Connector on EITHER side can be bad. Does the noise change if you wiggle the USB cable

Jun 28, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #442 of 512
I have arranged for a replacement with the seller, good chaps.

I've tried wriggling the connector, couldn't say for sure if it made a difference, maybe a slight variation in the noise.

The dac was connected to both my stax amd and my Crack (daisy chained via the Stax amp; they have parallell connectors on the back).
And I tried swapping cables, amps, sources, the whole shebang.
But the noise remained, mostly in the right channel.

Luckily they agreed to replace it, I'll have to fork out for shipping though but I'll live.

Jul 7, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #443 of 512
If you look up several reviews physical/data you will see the D30 is much better.

Who else besides ASR is saying the D30 is much better?

Jul 11, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #444 of 512
Can anyone compare D30 to some similarly priced DACs? Im thinking about buying Sabaj da2/da3 (SMSL IDEA/IQ).
But I´m not sure if these "portable" dacs can compete with desktop ones, which D30 is a good example of.

Aug 1, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #445 of 512
I have both ( D30 still in repair mode) and a Sabaj Da3. I am using the sabaj through a lehman and frankly I can not pick any differences from the D30 even though the Sabaj output is fromt he headphone out into line in. For me it is more matter of needing to use 3 pin to RCA adapter more than anything else, so this realy makes it susceptible to external electrical noise. I have not tried it ballanced so can not comment.

I have also used the Sabaj to directly drive Senn hd 650 and it is earsplittingly loud ( if anybody is worried about drive capability). If anything - the D30 sounds s a little warmer overall, BUT this may also be my audio memory playing tricks.

I would strongly suggest to anybody that wants to do listening comparison between any devices to first do a hearing test - At my age- ( 50 +) I can barely hear 12 khz and this is apparently a great result, But It also means that If there is anything above that I simply don;t hear it.
The upside is that I can focus the effort in getting better source material instead of chasing detail I can not hear :).

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #446 of 512
Been pretty pleased so far with the D30 I picked up last week; however, I have admittedly very little experience with dedicated DACs. Optical out of my PC to an Emotiva A-100 is the current chain. The D30 seems to have plenty of kick as I don’t need much turn of the amp’s volume knob to get plenty of sound out of any headphone used.

I do get audio ‘pops’ in Tidal and Foobar when scrubbing or switching songs. Is that likely a DAC issue, cable, application setup, etc? Going to try a couple things to see if I can isolate it.

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #448 of 512
Hello,
I just ordered Topping D30 from Ali, and while waiting, I must ask some questions...
Can I use android TV box Beelink Mini MXIII II as transport? I mean, can I connect box with USB cable to USB in on the DAC, and from SD card or USB drive play flac files through DAC on my stereo amp?
And if this is possible, is any quality loss in this combination?
Sory about my bad English :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back