Topping A90 Discrete aka A90D
Oct 2, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #451 of 807
Ok new balanced cable in the house and honestly it's a game changer no issue with power now. Problem was all my IEM have balanced cables that I was listening to, and I only had stock SE cable with the HiFiMan HE-400i. Not only did the stock cable really suck balls but sounds like ass as well! What a real game changer the sound is noticeably cleaner but I find the dynamics are greatly improved as well. Super happy camper here!

Now if I can only get EQ APO to work on Win 11 .
Equalizer APO works on my Win 11 pc. Have you tried installing the alternative drivers? https://bradshacks.com/fix-equalizer-apo-windows-10/

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #452 of 807
Time for an upgrade!!
20221003_142657.jpg

Oct 5, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #454 of 807
IMG_5559 Medium.png

Just got the A90 Discrete and I have to say it's doing a stellar job with the Sennheiser HD6XX. I don't think I've heard them sound any better. Clears up the vocals really nicely with excellent bass. This is also super silent with my IEMs: IER-Z1R, U12T and the IE900. Nice looking unit too.

That's nice gear and you're still impressed? Very cool.

Oct 13, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #455 of 807
This is a shockingly arrogant statement.
That's what a SS amp should do. If you want all the other intangibles, use tubes or mess around with R2R DAC's. Even the most esoteric tube guys say pre-amps/front end tubes are the best implementation. I say, get something pretty that glows with a healthy supply of supported back ups and options.

Solid state amps are to provide a clean signal with adequate current, voltage, low OI, and a black background. What's arrogant about that? Would it also be arrogant to claim a Delta Sigma dacs purpose is to convert data into sine waves with a well built reconstruction filter?

Oct 13, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #456 of 807
That's nice gear and you're still impressed? Very cool.
Yeah once the right expectations are set, I find it excellent. It doesn't quite have as much refinement, overall depth in the sound stage, and space around the instruments as say the Ferrum Stack. However, the differences are not as dramatic as one might imagine given the price differential.

Oct 13, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #457 of 807
That's what a SS amp should do. If you want all the other intangibles, use tubes or mess around with R2R DAC's. Even the most esoteric tube guys say pre-amps/front end tubes are the best implementation. I say, get something pretty that glows with a healthy supply of supported back ups and options.

Solid state amps are to provide a clean signal with adequate current, voltage, low OI, and a black background. What's arrogant about that? Would it also be arrogant to claim a Delta Sigma dacs purpose is to convert data into sine waves with a well built reconstruction filter?

What's arrogant about saying there's only one "good sound" and if anyone likes anything else they're enjoying "bad sound"? Gee, I don't know!

Oct 14, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #458 of 807
I have A90D, and can now listen to what Cooper says in "interstellar".
Vocal is much clear than A90 OG, besides everything is better, and movie has been much clear noticeably apparent to me in detail and clarity.
It turns my DT1770 into the clarity level of Arya stealth, which is bulky and leacky so that Arya might retire from my desk.

20221014_212725.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #459 of 807
A quick one guys - is Geshelli Labs DAC a good pair with the A90D?

And if using a JDS Labs Atom+ DAC, are we limiting the AMPs performance in any way?
Or in other words do we really gain anything incremental going for the $1000 bucks D90 DAC?

Don't want to start a fork fight but seriously I am not well averse with this knowledge hence asking!

Given the fact Atom+ is $99, Geshelli is $250 and D90 is the most expensive.

Oct 19, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #460 of 807
A quick one guys - is Geshelli Labs DAC a good pair with the A90D?

And if using a JDS Labs Atom+ DAC, are we limiting the AMPs performance in any way?
Or in other words do we really gain anything incremental going for the $1000 bucks D90 DAC?

Don't want to start a fork fight but seriously I am not well averse with this knowledge hence asking!

Given the fact Atom+ is $99, Geshelli is $250 and D90 is the most expensive.
Have not heard Geshelli but am considering Gustard R26 (which is even more expensive, there’s a thread on that here) and returning D90SE - which I find not very technically proficient re soundstage if still able to retrieve details and good tonal balance - I think lot depends on the other gear one is using— higher end headphones or speakers can deliver more technical performance and the same goes for amps. A90D is a solid performer and I am very pleased especially with the added bass impact it can deliver. But I am moving on, see my next posting.

Oct 19, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #461 of 807
Has anyone on this thread had experience using A90D as a preamp for a power amp? I now have Burson 3XP and also (on the way) a Gustard R26 DAC. In pure DAC mode R26 has no volume control and the power amp also needs volume control upstream. R26 has low output impedance and so does A90D, and 3XP very high input impedance (so no impedance mismatch if I use A90D as a preamp between those 2) but am wondering how A90D will impact SQ if I use it this way.

Oct 20, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #463 of 807
Would the A90D benefit from a high end dac like the Sagra DAC from XI Audio, or would the D90LE be sufficient. Im also eyeing the Gustard R26 although the form factor is crap...
Everything from that company is outrageously overpriced! Keep in mind that Folks that bought such expensive dac would try to justify its cost no matter what, even if there would be no difference.
Ton of marketing though.
Gustard or almost any chinese company makes products for a fair price, but certainly not Jps labs, Xi Audio or Abyss headphones.

Oct 21, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #465 of 807
Would the A90D benefit from a high end dac like the Sagra DAC from XI Audio, or would the D90LE be sufficient. Im also eyeing the Gustard R26 although the form factor is crap...
If you're to going to go down the R2R route, then, IMO, I'd get a DAC/amp from Audio-gd, or separates from them, depending on your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back