Topping A90 Discrete aka A90D
Oct 22, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #466 of 807
If you're to going to go down the R2R route, then, IMO, I'd get a DAC/amp from Audio-gd, or separates from them, depending on your budget.
@Currawong- first I want to say (for those who may not know your work) how greatly I have appreciated your reviews on YT as a subscriber to your channel. After listening to your review I purchased the CayinC9 portable amp and , N6ii DAP. It’s one of the wonderful things about being on Head-Fi that the top reviewers in the hobby are posting on these threads.

So, I just listened to your review on the Audio-Gd R27HE (who also make the Master 9 and 10 amps), which is an integrated amp that includes Audio-gd R8 DAC and Master 9 amp, and cost of which (R8 Mk2 I mean) is about the same as the Gustard R26. If I have understood correctly, many elements are similar between the 2 units, though each has its own distinctives (R26 has a pre-amp stage and has ability to stream LAN signal/Roon directly to its internal I2S circuitry, R8 seems to have superior power supply, internal clocking plus its proprietary ACSS bus). I very much like that Audio-Gd had its service center in Georgia in the US, so that if there is a warranty issue the unit does not have to be sent back to China for repairs.

Since this is the A90D thread, though- given the limitations of the A90D, and assuming that most readers are likely to be users of mid-fi gear eg wrt headphones HIFIMAN Arya, Audeze LCD-X etc- what particular separate Audio-GD R2R DAC would you most recommend to pair with the A90D?

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #468 of 807
If you're to going to go down the R2R route, then, IMO, I'd get a DAC/amp from Audio-gd, or separates from them, depending on your budget.
Why Audio-gd and not another well reviewed R-2R? Using their standalone R1 DAC as a benchmark (around $900 USD) these are all around $1K in the US give or take a bit: Denafrips Ares II, Musician Draco and Pegasus, Soekris 2541, and the newly updated Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (I'm no engineer (an understatement) but understand the Schiit multibit tech is similar to these R-2R DACs though it lacks the distinctive resister ladders of the others). Please understand that I'm not disputing you, just wondering why/if there is a compelling reason to go Audio-gd over others in the same rough price ballpark.

I'm sort of in the market next spring or summer for an amp and DAC upgrade in this budget range ($1K USD each). I'm in no hurry-since I'm retired on a moderate fixed income, it takes me a while to save for these purchases and I just bought a Hifiman Arya Stealth this week after saving for a few months, so am starting from scratch again. BTW, even before burn in, the Arya is easily the best headphone I've heard, clearly bettering my ZMF Aeolus (paid for by a Covid stimulus check here in the US) and Focal Elex.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #469 of 807
Thanks! I love your content on YT! What about a non R2R route?
Lately, my preferences have been with Chord, Schiit Bifrost (though I'm yet to try the new one) or Yggdrasil, and FiiO Q7 (as an all-in-one).
Why Audio-gd and not another well reviewed R-2R?
Because I haven't tried any of the other well-reviewed R2R DACs, other than the ones I've mentioned. I wish I had had the time to though!

Oct 24, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #470 of 807
Can anyone tell me if A90D provide protection against electrical issues like overcurrent, overload, overheating, short circuit?
What about some safety measure to avoid frying headphones/IEMs?
I have not found the slightest information either on the official website, or in the manual or elsewhere...it seems to me a rather crucial feature for this type of device.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 24, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #471 of 807
Can anyone tell me if A90D provide protection against electrical issues like overcurrent, overload, overheating, short circuit?
What about some safety measure to avoid frying headphones/IEMs?
I have not found the slightest information either on the official website, or in the manual or elsewhere...it seems to me a rather crucial feature for this type of device.

Thanks in advance.
i would suggest you to plug some overvoltage protection, dunno about overheating, discrete is common to heat

Oct 24, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #472 of 807
i would suggest you to plug some overvoltage protection, dunno about overheating, discrete is common to heat
Ok, this sure seems a good preventive measure.
Still, I'd like to know if Topping has provided some minimum security system, given that we are talking about their top of the range and that in any case it seems only right that these protections are present in these devices: I find it shocking that there is not a minimum mention of any of these aspects anywhere ... possible that no other user has asked himself these questions?

Oct 24, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #473 of 807
Ok, this sure seems a good preventive measure.
Still, I'd like to know if Topping has provided some minimum security system, given that we are talking about their top of the range and that in any case it seems only right that these protections are present in these devices: I find it shocking that there is not a minimum mention of any of these aspects anywhere ... possible that no other user has asked himself these questions?
Better Ask this question in ASR because of 2 things.
1. Lot of folks are antiTopping here
2. Topping like Rme, Benchmark focuses on performance.

Oct 24, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #475 of 807
Thanks for the advice, I didn't knew that there was a strong anti-Topping faction here ... may I ask why?
BTW, I'll follow your suggestion to ask in ASR 👍
Because they measure well and are widely accessible at a fraction of the cost of other popular high-end gear audiophiles like to tout.

Or maybe simply because Amir likes them :L3000::beyersmile:

Oct 24, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #478 of 807
Does the A90D sounds better after warming up a certain amount of time compared to the A90, my A90D is still on the way so cant test it myself.
Sure. My copy burned for about a month before it became stable to play.

Oct 24, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #479 of 807
Thanks for the advice, I didn't knew that there was a strong anti-Topping faction here ... may I ask why?
BTW, I'll follow your suggestion to ask in ASR 👍
Isn’t it more the sterile , boring sound they are known for? Just going based on reviews. Not my own findings. I doubt people here care about what Amir likes. They want something to sound good.

Oct 24, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #480 of 807
Many out there that have heard both, including myself, feel like the A90D does sound different in a better way compared to the original A90. I didn't expect it to sound different knowing Topping but it does. I'm sure saying that might trigger someone but that's just how it is for me. It's VERY worth an audition in my opinion just for the fact that it has a ton of power and stepped volume at an insanely good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back