Topping A30Pro
May 4, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #16 of 69
This is quite overpriced, and very gimmicky. I say go single ended, or go balanced, but tis is not real balanced, but price is... I think the Schiit offering of 400$ magnius + modius is better, almost, no remote... or a good dac amp combo, better than this. How much is this total, 750$? get a RME for that money. Or something else from topping themselves. Or Jot2+ dac of your choice. Or ARES" dac with jds labs atom amp, LOL, get something, but not this. I bet it measures amazingly well.

May 4, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #17 of 69
I already have a magni3+ so I feel like the topping l30 would be more of a lateral move and not an upgrade. I'm tempted to get the bottlehead crack but the flexibility of the topping A30pro is kind of appealing. Not sure yet which way to go. I figure for the price of the bottlehead crack, I could probably sell it easily enough if I don't like it.
Bottlehead should complement your Magni better

May 4, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #18 of 69
This is quite overpriced, and very gimmicky. I say go single ended, or go balanced, but tis is not real balanced, but price is... I think the Schiit offering of 400$ magnius + modius is better, almost, no remote... or a good dac amp combo, better than this. How much is this total, 750$? get a RME for that money. Or something else from topping themselves. Or Jot2+ dac of your choice. Or ARES" dac with jds labs atom amp, LOL, get something, but not this. I bet it measures amazingly well.

I see your point and I'm glad I asked. I'll steer clear of this one then. Maybe I'll try something better by schitt or just give the bottlehead crack a try.

May 5, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #19 of 69
I see your point and I'm glad I asked. I'll steer clear of this one then. Maybe I'll try something better by schitt or just give the bottlehead crack a try.
I'd suggest first watching this video to get a real understanding of what "balanced" means:

Second, read the following review of the A30 Pro if you have not already done so or watch the video:
Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

The bottom line is the A30 Pro is a balanced amp in the way that actually matters, and it's performance is superb. At the price point, it would be extremely difficult to beat. If I were to replace my Monolith 887, this would be the way I would probably go (or a Singxer SA-1 if I were willing to spend the extra money).

May 22, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #20 of 69
Listening to the 30pro stack right now through my ADX5000. Soundstage and dynamics are great. The bass is spacious and the treble is delicate. The stack offers smooth, detailed vocals with a touch of warmth, which makes my listening session non-stopping. This is my first time buying a "scientifically correct" stack, what a surprise.
"Smooth energy floating on top of a dark silky canvas."

Aug 6, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #21 of 69
And here they are, the "balance" marketing is so horribly wrong that make people think: Oh it's not balance, then it sucks, or overprice.

Single ended use 1 board of amplification, instead of 4 boards on balance amp. Imagine how much less parts inside single ended amp, that definitely will boost transparency.

Food for thought:
To create $350 single ended amp you need to think how to create a good quality amp with $350 budget (to decide which parts to use).
To create $350 balance amp you need to think how to create 4pcs good quality amps, with each amp has budget $87,5, then stack for 4 pcs.
(This is just a rough example of course)

Applause to Topping to create a30pro, single ended amp that almost as powerful as A90 (and also achieve crazy good measurement). Currently I got loaned of this little amp, will compare to singxer.

Aug 6, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #22 of 69
And here they are, the "balance" marketing is so horribly wrong that make people think: Oh it's not balance, then it sucks, or overprice.

Single ended use 1 board of amplification, instead of 4 boards on balance amp. Imagine how much less parts inside single ended amp, that definitely will boost transparency.

Food for thought:
To create $350 single ended amp you need to think how to create a good quality amp with $350 budget (to decide which parts to use).
To create $350 balance amp you need to think how to create 4pcs good quality amps, with each amp has budget $87,5, then stack for 4 pcs.
(This is just a rough example of course)

Applause to Topping to create a30pro, single ended amp that almost as powerful as A90 (and also achieve crazy good measurement). Currently I got loaned of this little amp, will compare to singxer.
Its not always short signal path is better like Rob Watts lets you believe.
There is a reason why High end amps are balanced and why they measure better in certain cases like Singxer for example.
Marketing Gurus who say that single ended is better is, because they want to sell products that are cheaper to produce for maximum amount of money.

Aug 6, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #23 of 69
Its not always short signal path is better like Rob Watts lets you believe.
There is a reason why High end amps are balanced and why they measure better in certain cases like Singxer for example.
Marketing Gurus who say that single ended is better is, because they want to sell products that are cheaper to produce for maximum amount of money.
I'm not saying that all rob said is the truth, but it's logical that shorter signal path = increase transparency. Also logical that using single ended amp provide higher quality of each audio parts inside, because use much less components.

There is a also reason why higher end amps going single ended like Wells Audio Milo, XIAudio Formula S, Bakoon 13R, etc.

also, quote from John Yang from Topping (at ASR):
I wouldn't be so generalized. Balanced output of A90 is quieter than HPA4. So this needs to be case to case. And sure single ended output of A30pro/L30/A90 is much quieter than A90's balanced output.

note: I own singxer, and I do like balance amplifier, but still, this A30pro is great on its own, will test for more few hours.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #24 of 69
I'm not saying that all rob said is the truth, but it's logical that shorter signal path = increase transparency. Also logical that using single ended amp provide higher quality of each audio parts inside, because use much less components.

There is a also reason why higher end amps going single ended like Wells Audio Milo, XIAudio Formula S, Bakoon 13R, etc.

note: I own singxer, and I do like balance amplifier, but still, this A30pro is great on its own, will test for more few hours.
I seen a lot of measurements that shows dacs and amps that have Lower crosstalk when going full balanced.
That could be the reason why balanced amps if everything being equal have noticably better soundstage.
When i had Violectric v280 it sounded nothing spectacular single ended, but going balanced improved soundstage width, depth dramatically as well as resolution.
Didnt notice any less transparency, but just opossite.

Aug 6, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #25 of 69
I seen a lot of measurements that shows dacs and amps that have Lower crosstalk when going full balanced.
That could be the reason why balanced amps if everything being equal have noticably better soundstage.
When i had Violectric v280 it sounded nothing spectacular single ended, but going balanced improved soundstage width, depth dramatically as well as resolution.
Didnt notice any less transparency, but just opossite.

Your statement is true. When everything is equal then balance would provide better sound (in general). However, when everything is equal balance amp also much more expensive than single ended, because use four times more component on amplification board. The internal of V281 basically is V200 x 4 pcs.

In case above about Topping (A30Pro, A90) and Singxer SA-1, not everything is equal.

Anyway my impression so far: In general, A30Pro is Topping Amp that try to become musical, punchy and really fun for pop/rock songs. Not as mature as A90 or Singxer in term of soundstage and detail, however the bass punch harder on little topping.

Even though being the cheapest amp of the group, A90 and Singxer can not score clean sheet to defeat A30Pro, as this amp perform more black background of each notes. (benefit of single ended? That's my guess). As more info, Singxer actually perform better black background compare to A90. I really confident about SA-1's black background, but still not as pitch black as A30Pro.

Pairing result, A30Pro synergise with Focal Clear MG way better than Diana Phi. On Clear MG, the result is energetic, highly musical and fun, very smooth top end, a bit forward vocal, and bass punch is really lively. On Diana Phi smaller soundstage combine with forward vocal, and the fact that mid bass more pronounce than sub bass area make them bad pairing.

Aug 6, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #26 of 69
Your statement is true. When everything is equal then balance would provide better sound (in general). However, when everything is equal balance amp also much more expensive than single ended, because use four times more component on amplification board. The internal of V281 basically is V200 x 4 pcs.

In case above about Topping (A30Pro, A90) and Singxer SA-1, not everything is equal.

Anyway my impression so far: In general, A30Pro is Topping Amp that try to become musical, punchy and really fun for pop/rock songs. Not as mature as A90 or Singxer in term of soundstage and detail, however the bass punch harder on little topping.

Even though being the cheapest amp of the group, A90 and Singxer can not score clean sheet to defeat A30Pro, as this amp perform more black background of each notes. (benefit of single ended? That's my guess). As more info, Singxer actually perform better black background compare to A90. I really confident about SA-1's black background, but still not as pitch black as A30Pro.

Pairing result, A30Pro synergise with Focal Clear MG way better than Diana Phi. On Clear MG, the result is energetic, highly musical and fun, very smooth top end, a bit forward vocal, and bass punch is really lively. On Diana Phi smaller soundstage combine with forward vocal, and the fact that mid bass more pronounce than sub bass area make them bad pairing.
Im looking at A30pro...
Do you think it will pair well HD800S? i guess punchy amp would pair well cause HD800S could use a little help when it comes to attack.

Aug 6, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #27 of 69
Im looking at A30pro...
Do you think it will pair well HD800S? i guess punchy amp would pair well cause HD800S could use a little help when it comes to attack.
I can imagine that would be a pairing that easier to listen compare if you use A90, because fuller sound with more forgiving top end. What kind of songs that you usually listen? Mind you that A90 still reveal better detail and texture.

Have you tried A90/Singxer?

Aug 6, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #28 of 69
I can imagine that would be a pairing that easier to listen compare if you use A90, because fuller sound with more forgiving top end. What kind of songs that you usually listen? Mind you that A90 still reveal better detail and texture.

Have you tried A90/Singxer?
I tried A90 and liked it, but not with HD800S.
Ofc its HD800S fault cause its too bright and need warmer amp or eq.
Might even wait for A90pro...
P.S I like more modern music, but like to listen everything honestly.

Aug 7, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #29 of 69
I tried A90 and liked it, but not with HD800S.
Ofc its HD800S fault cause its too bright and need warmer amp or eq.
Might even wait for A90pro...
P.S I like more modern music, but like to listen everything honestly.
A30pro definitely deliver more "warm" feeling compare to A90 (although with less soundstage and micro detail), but either of them still stick close enough to neutral signature.

From the fullest to the leanest mid to bass area:
- A30Pro
- Singxer SA-1
- A90

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #30 of 69

And Benchmark HPA-4!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back