Topping A30Pro
Nov 4, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #46 of 69
OK so I give it a 2V SE signal, I won't get the full 840mW, but is there any official or just ballpark figure how much I would actually get?

Like...is it safe to assume I'd get around 2/3 of that?
Reading ASR's review, I would doubt Topping's claim of the 2.7V Input sensitivity figure. It certainly seems that it will only reach maximum Power with a full 4V or higher Input signal. My own experience with it certainly points to that. Therefore a 2V Input would only provide about Half - possibly less - of the Maximum Power figure. This would also correlate to what I have experienced...

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #47 of 69
OK so I give it a 2V SE signal, I won't get the full 840mW, but is there any official or just ballpark figure how much I would actually get?

Like...is it safe to assume I'd get around 2/3 of that?
55% of max power aproximately, taking into account that the output power depends on the square of the input voltage.

Nov 5, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #48 of 69
Alright, thanks guys! Since I'm gonna be using my DAP at the second desk anyway it's starting to look like just getting an amp that spits a lot of power into 16ohms to 32ohms is cheaper and easier to find, and I might as well just get such an amp and a second headphone, maybe an HE400SE. At least then if my HD600 ever busts a driver or something I'd have a second headphone and just move its amp around temporarily.

Dec 13, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #50 of 69
Actually i use the Smsl Sh9. I am interested in the A30 Pro because of the power. Would you upgrade? The only problem is the A30Pro doesn't have a remote. Is it a disadvantage to change the volume with the DAC or is it always better to go with the full power of the DAC in the headphone amp or is there no difference between changing the volume on the DAC or headphone amp?

The A30/D30 Pro is no fail construction. That's too hard to say. But a remote for the A30Pro instead for the D30Pro would be much better? You are more flexible because you can put the power from 0 to 100. Of course you could put the D30Pro on the highest setting (full volume, highest gain) but the sound quality suffer from it. Am i right?
A weaker volume level from the DAC with more amplification from the amplifier is worse than the highest level on DAC with less amplification. Is that correct? So it is always better to have an amplifier with remote. Reducing the volume with the amp is better than with the DAC?

But there is no amplifier with a remote with so much power. The only solution is to keep the SH9 and to buy the A30Pro and to connect it with the D6 and with loop through with the SH9.

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #51 of 69
Actually i use the Smsl Sh9. I am interested in the A30 Pro because of the power. Would you upgrade? The only problem is the A30Pro doesn't have a remote. Is it a disadvantage to change the volume with the DAC or is it always better to go with the full power of the DAC in the headphone amp or is there no difference between changing the volume on the DAC or headphone amp?

The A30/D30 Pro is no fail construction. That's too hard to say. But a remote for the A30Pro instead for the D30Pro would be much better? You are more flexible because you can put the power from 0 to 100. Of course you could put the D30Pro on the highest setting (full volume, highest gain) but the sound quality suffer from it. Am i right?
A weaker volume level from the DAC with more amplification from the amplifier is worse than the highest level on DAC with less amplification. Is that correct? So it is always better to have an amplifier with remote. Reducing the volume with the amp is better than with the DAC?

But there is no amplifier with a remote with so much power. The only solution is to keep the SH9 and to buy the A30Pro and to connect it with the D6 and with loop through with the SH9.
Those are all good and valid questions which I've often wondered about from a technical point of view. However, I've got the D30 Pro/A30 Pro combo, and mostly use it set so that the D30 Pro is the preamp, letting me control the volume and input settings using my Logitech remote, and to be honest, I haven't noticed one bit of difference using it that way compared to having the DAC at full output and using the A30 Pro's volume control, which I've tried several times just see if there was any difference.

I do still use the A30 Pro's volume control, but only for the initial setting so that I get a good volume with the DAC set to -5 or -10, and what I've found in use is that I don't really change the volume on the DAC with the remote all that much when listening, even for long periods when streaming from Amazon HD.

I'm using the D30 Pro/A30 Pro combo with my Audeze LCD-4 headphones, and there is more than enough power, even at medium gain, but I usually keep the gain in high mode because it helps tighten up the low end on the LCD-4s. The thing with the A30 pro is, that it is so clean and powerful that I just don't have to think about it.

For the price, this is an amazing little setup that gets the job done with zero coloration and zero distortion. I will say, I haven't had the opportunity to directly compare it to other amps, so maybe more expensive DAC/Amps will offer subtle improvements in soundstage width etc., but for my needs, this just works. I hope that helps.

Jan 3, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #52 of 69
Anyone has compared it to the new L70? I'm looking for a new powerful amp. The a30pro in terms of power is more than enough but what would make you to pay the extra and go with the L70?

Jan 3, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #53 of 69
Anyone has compared it to the new L70? I'm looking for a new powerful amp. The a30pro in terms of power is more than enough but what would make you to pay the extra and go with the L70?
It depends on the type of cables you use in your headphones. If you switched to balanced cables, I would choose the L70 as it is a balanced amp, but if you have SE cables, I would choose the A30 Pro.

Sep 5, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #55 of 69
I just realized, there are no pictures on the net about the A30 Pro's inside... Can some of you please take of the case and make a picture for us? I would really appreciate it!
I did a Google search for Topping a30pro, then tapped on "Images" underneath the name bar and got quite a few images of the innards.

Topping A30Pro Innards.jpeg

Attachments

• Topping A30Pro Innards.jpg
    Topping A30Pro Innards.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 0
Sep 5, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #56 of 69
I did a Google search for Topping a30pro, then tapped on "Images" underneath the name bar and got quite a few images of the innards.

Topping A30Pro Innards.jpeg
I know, but that isn't the A30 pro...
You can only find pics of the L30 or the A30, but not the A30 pro.

Hint: look at the connectors, can you find the xlr input cons?
We need 1 pair of xlr in, 2 pairs of rca, 1 pair of 6.3 out and a power in on the back (+power and ground lift switch).
On the front there is a potmeter, a 4pin xlr, a pentacon, a 6.3 and 3 switches iirc.
If you can't find those, then it's not the A30 Pro.

Sep 13, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #57 of 69
I bought one. I couldn't disassemble it safely, so I didn't. No wonder there are no pics of its inside available.
Taking off the potmeter knob seems crucial, and I wasn't able to.

Btw the power supplies are 2 meanwell irm-20-24.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #58 of 69
I bought one. I couldn't disassemble it safely, so I didn't. No wonder there are no pics of its inside available.
Taking off the potmeter knob seems crucial, and I wasn't able to.

Btw the power supplies are 2 meanwell irm-20-24.
I've disassembled a lot of dacs and amps over the years, including the A90 and D90 among many others.
The volume button has to be pulled firmly forward without moving to the sides, and behind it there is a screw that needs to be removed.

If they haven't dismantled one within 90 days, I'll take one and dismantle it, it's an easy thing, there's no secret.

Nov 15, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #59 of 69
I've disassembled a lot of dacs and amps over the years, including the A90 and D90 among many others.
The volume button has to be pulled firmly forward without moving to the sides, and behind it there is a screw that needs to be removed.

If they haven't dismantled one within 90 days, I'll take one and dismantle it, it's an easy thing, there's no secret.
I know how to take off a volume knob or disassemble a device. This is not an ordinary device, cause you can't "just pull of the knob" without damaging something. Not without a proper, but gentle tool. Because you can't grab it, it's short and slippery, it may even be adhesed to the potmeter.

Tbh I think your extrapolation of previous experince gives you false confidence (no offense). If all a30p's knobs are somewhat evenly stuck and you can take one off without damaging the finish, then you will earn my respect. :D I would be curious about the method.

Bt I looked through the net, searched on different engines, in russian, chinese, even japanese. I found only the internals of the d30p on a site and a d30p disassambly guide on bilibili, but the d30p doesn't have a knob... Abouth the a30p internals, i found nothing, so if you can disassemble one, you can be the first to share how it's internals look.

Nov 15, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #60 of 69
I know how to take off a volume knob or disassemble a device. This is not an ordinary device, cause you can't "just pull of the knob" without damaging something. Not without a proper, but gentle tool. Because you can't grab it, it's short and slippery, it may even be adhesed to the potmeter.

Tbh I think your extrapolation of previous experince gives you false confidence (no offense). If all a30p's knobs are somewhat evenly stuck and you can take one off without damaging the finish, then you will earn my respect. :D I would be curious about the method.

Bt I looked through the net, searched on different engines, in russian, chinese, even japanese. I found only the internals of the d30p on a site and a d30p disassambly guide on bilibili, but the d30p doesn't have a knob... Abouth the a30p internals, i found nothing, so if you can disassemble one, you can be the first to share how it's internals look.
I dismantled the A90 which uses the same slippery short button, I don't think you paid attention to that, I disassembled the Fiio k7 which has a short button that is securely attached in the same way, as well as several others that also have the same short button system which is difficult to get hold of .
My knowledge and experiences go far beyond what you imagine, it's been years of opening devices for knowledge, painting and customization.

Removing the button has always been easy, just wrap it in 3 turns of 3M tape and leave a gap in the tape to serve as a corner and with this tape pull the button little by little and it comes out without damaging anything, not even the paint, as the screw internal in the middle is screwed to the amp housing, you can see for yourself in the photos of the A90 how the button is attached and we know how topping always uses parts and pieces between devices.

Finishing many of the dac amps, it is not enough to just remove screws, because they often have a precision fit and make everything stay in place even when removing the screw, you need to know where to pull, my experience gives me confidence, disassembling the a30pro is easy, but I'm not going to rush with this just to prove something, it will be done in my time.
I'm a DIY hobbyist, I do a lot of customization work on DACs and amps with changing the volume buttons, so I always disassemble them.

I don't have the a30pro here, but from my experience with the A90 I think the A90 serves as a guide for you to be able to disassemble your A30pro yourself, apparently it would be by sliding the PCB back after removing the screw behind the volume button and some in the rear, I'll only know for sure if I get my hands on an A30, but if you have one then it'll be easier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back